Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

AVRIL LAVIGNE: The Best Dam Thing -4/07

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-18-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

New Avril Lavigne Album Due In April

Avril Lavigne's third studio album has been christened "The Best Dam Thing" and will be released in April via RCA. First single "Girlfriend" will hit U.S. radio outlets in February. "I promise you guys will LOVE this record -- it is my favorite one," she writes on her MySpace.com site. "And I can't wait! It is really fast, fun, young, bratty, aggressive, confident [and] cocky in a playful way ... all the good stuff."

Lavigne says she was inspired to make a more up-tempo album after spending "so much of my time playing live shows. I wanted to make sure the songs were fun -- fun for the fans and myself. I will only have like three slow songs on the record."

"The Best Dam Thing" will be the follow-up to 2004's "Under My Skin," which debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and launched the Hot 100 hits "My Happy Ending" (No. 9) and "Don't Tell Me" (No. 22). The album has sold 2.93 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Lavigne also contributed the new song "Keep Holding On" to the RCA soundtrack for "Eragon," which just opened in U.S. theaters.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 12-18-06, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet!
Old 12-19-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Been looking forward to this for a while.
Old 12-19-06, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Either this is an album about the Hoover Dam or someone needs to teach that girl how to spell.
Old 12-19-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
Either this is an album about the Hoover Dam or someone needs to teach that girl how to spell.
Exactly. How lame. Have to keep it family-friendly I suppose.
Old 12-19-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess is there's going to be a picture of her standing next to a dam on the cover. What a witty play of words.
Old 12-19-06, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As long as Avril and Kelly keeping delivering fun pop music, I don't care about their attempts to be clever or seem mature, what they weigh, or anything else.

For someone who tends to like a lot of rock and indie/alt music, I look forward to these lighter pop albums and these 2 definately deliver.

Hope Avril does it again, but how old is she?

I wonder when or if she ever makes an attempt at trying something different, as much as I've enjoyed her teenage rebel songs, the description of this cd really doesn't seem like it couldn't apply to the other two.

I guess we'll have to see what her idea of rock is. Personally, I don't think she has a rock voice.
Old 12-20-06, 07:27 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
...For someone who tends to like a lot of rock and indie/alt music, I look forward to these lighter pop albums and these 2 definately deliver...
I agree. These two seem to demonstrate some substance that is missing in mainstream pop.
Old 12-20-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Substance:

"Sk8er Boi"

He was a boy
She was a girl
Can I make it anymore obvious?
He was a punk.
And she did ballet.
What more can I say?
He wanted her.
She'd never tell.
Secretely she wanted him as well.
And all of her friends
Stuck up their nose.
And they had a problem with his baggy clothes.
He was a sk8er boi she said see ya later boi.
He wasn't good enough for her.
She had a pretty face but her head was up in space.
She needed to come back down to earth.
Five years from now she sits at home feeding the baby she's all alone.
She turns on TV and guess who she sees.
Sk8er boi rocking up MTV.
She calls up her friends.
They already know
And they've all got tickets to see his show.
She tags along, stands in the crowd . Looks up at the man that she turned down.
He was a sk8er boi she said see ya later boi. He wasn't good enough for her.
Now he's a superstar slammin on his guitar to show pretty face what he's worth.
Sorry girl but you missed out. Well tough luck that boi's mine now. We are more than just good friends. This is how the story ends. Too
bad that you couldn't see.. see the man that boi could be. There is more than meets the eye, I see the soul that is inside.
He's just a boi, and I'm just a girl.
We are in love.
Haven't you heard how we rock eachother's world?
I met the sk8er boi I said see ya later boi.
I'll be backstage after the show.
I'll be at the studio singing the song he wrote about a girl he use to know.
Old 12-20-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar
Substance:

"Sk8er Boi"

He was a boy
She was a girl
He was a punk.
And she did ballet.
What more can I say?
He wanted her.
She'd never tell.
Secretely she wanted him as well.
And all of her friends
Stuck up their nose.
And they had a problem with his baggy clothes.
He was a sk8er boi she said see ya later boi.
He wasn't good enough for her.
She had a pretty face but her head was up in space.
She needed to come back down to earth.
Five years from now she sits at home feeding the baby she's all alone.
She turns on TV and guess who she sees.
Sk8er boi rocking up MTV.
She calls up her friends.
They already know
And they've all got tickets to see his show.
She tags along, stands in the crowd . Looks up at the man that she turned down.
He was a sk8er boi she said see ya later boi. He wasn't good enough for her.
Now he's a superstar slammin on his guitar to show pretty face what he's worth.
Sorry girl but you missed out. Well tough luck that boi's mine now. We are more than just good friends. This is how the story ends. Too
bad that you couldn't see.. see the man that boi could be. There is more than meets the eye, I see the soul that is inside.
He's just a boi, and I'm just a girl.
We are in love.
Haven't you heard how we rock eachother's world?

What does that prove? That's she was 16?

One of my favorite bands and arguably one of these most substantive bands of all time wrote this:

Stand in the place where you live
Now face North
Think about direction
Wonder why you haven't before
Now stand in the place where you work
Now face West
Think about the place where you live
Wonder why you haven't before

If you are confused check with the sun
Carry a compass to help you along
Your feet are going to be on the ground
Your head is there to move you around

(repeat 1st verse)

If wishes were trees the trees would be falling
Listen to reason
Season is calling

(repeat 1st verse)

If wishes were trees the trees would be falling
Listen to reason
Reason is calling

So Stand (stand)
Now face North
Think about direction, wonder why you haven't before
Now stand (stand)
Now face West
Think about the place where you live
Wonder why you haven't

(repeat 1st verse)

Stand in the place where you are (Now face North)
Stand in the place where you are (Now face West)
Your feet are going to be on the ground (Stand in the place where you are)
Your head is there to move you around, so stand.
Old 01-10-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the first single (I think its keep holding on) isn't my cup of tea. Its a slow song with strings and it all.
Old 01-10-07, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Well the first single (I think its keep holding on) isn't my cup of tea. Its a slow song with strings and it all.
I'm not impressed either. So, what, it will sell only 4 million copies, while Rainer Maria can't get a deal, then release an incredible album on their own, and then break-up with few people really even knowing that they existed.

As I said, I like pop, but this the kind of song that makes me like it less.
Old 01-10-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the song is OK, but I'm pretty sure it's not the first single from the album...it's on the Eragon soundtrack and is a single from that....I think the actual album single will be out late Feb/early March.
Old 01-29-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Avril Sets Date For Clap-Happy New Album

Avril Lavigne has penciled in an April 17 release for her new RCA album, "The Best Damn Thing." As previously reported, the first single is "Girlfriend"; it will arrive March 5 at U.S. radio outlets, and its accompanying video will premiere Feb. 26 on MTV.

With its handclaps and bad-girl vibe, the track is reminiscent of Toni Basil's "Mickey," as Lavigne pushes past rival ladies to demand attention from a new guy: "She's like, so whatever / you could do so much better," she sings of her competition.

Two other tracks previewed by Billboard.com follow in a similar style: "I Can Do Better" is a fast and punky kiss-off with Blink 182-ish guitar riffs, and the title cut finds Lavigne proclaiming she is the "best damn thing your eyes have ever seen."

Elsewhere, "When You're Gone" is a power ballad with a piano and synth introduction, and "Everything Back But You" mines Rancid-style pop/punk for another diss of a cheating boyfriend. "The Best Damn Thing" will also include "Keep Holding On," previously released on the "Eragon" soundtrack.

"I wanted to make sure the songs were fun -- fun for the fans and myself," Lavigne said in a December post on her MySpace page. At present, Lavigne is in the midst of tour rehearsals but details have yet to be announced.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 01-29-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if the album somehow leaks, if we'd get the release date bumped up.
Old 03-02-07, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<embed width="425" height="350"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkT-9U4p0c0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>

Well, new video is up on youtube. This def. sounds alot different then the other stuff.

and now while I'm at it, many hate it, some like it, it made VH1's least metal moments, I give you
<embed width="425" height="350"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tlQEMkuJGFw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>

and since i found it here's the album cover

Should I turn in my metal card in?

Last edited by Rypro 525; 03-02-07 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-12-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well i got my hold on the album a mere 5 days before street date (through certian means). Those looking for the bratty songs with a bit more 'edge' (anger) are gonna like it. Its really apparent on "I can do Better", "Everything Back but You" and "I don't have to try". There's also a more Blink 182 style punk rock sound to the album.
Also there are 3 versions of the album (explicit, clean, and explicit with bonus dvd) There isn't really that much swearing (and its nothing that the 'target audience' has never heard before).
Old 04-18-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I should have read this earlier, I bought the album yesterday and didn't realize it at the time (there was nothing on the packaging to indicate as such) but it turns out I got the CLEAN version...that would be fine if I was an 11 year old girl, but I'm a 26 year old man...I think I can deal with some swearing.

I didn't realize until I was listening to the actual album, so I'm not sure if the store will exchange it for me since it's opened, but I'll try tomorrow if I get time... seems like only 2 songs are affected, but still...not good for me.
Old 04-18-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<embed width="425" height="350"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkT-9U4p0c0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>

Well, new video is up on youtube. This def. sounds alot different then the other stuff.

and now while I'm at it, many hate it, some like it, it made VH1's least metal moments, I give you
<embed width="425" height="350"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tlQEMkuJGFw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>

and since i found it here's the album cover

Should I turn in my metal card in?
nah dude, your metal card is still valid. I love that cover of Fuel she did, and I'm damn near the biggest 'tallica fan I know.

I really liked her first CD, fun silly pop. Didn't like the second so much, but the new song is fun. I'll give it a shot once I've listened to NIN about ten thousand times. What a damn great disc that is.
Old 04-18-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdc3000
I should have read this earlier, I bought the album yesterday and didn't realize it at the time (there was nothing on the packaging to indicate as such) but it turns out I got the CLEAN version...that would be fine if I was an 11 year old girl, but I'm a 26 year old man...I think I can deal with some swearing.

I didn't realize until I was listening to the actual album, so I'm not sure if the store will exchange it for me since it's opened, but I'll try tomorrow if I get time... seems like only 2 songs are affected, but still...not good for me.
Can't hurt to try. Just be honest with them. Most stores will let you since you are technically getting the same item back.
Old 04-18-07, 03:44 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
This cd sucks, I think it's a huge step back from Avril (not that she was that much of a serious artist but this is worse than her second album). Kelly Clarkson's new single is pretty good though.
Old 04-18-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Agreed. Her first CD was good. Her second even better (IMO).

This one... it's like Toni "Mickey" Basil meets Julie "The Homecoming Queen Has Got A Gun" Brown - without the sense of humor. Most of the songs don't even have a melody, but instead just fall into "tuff girl chants".

In brief, even if you were one of the ones who were able to see past the "punk/pop" persona and hear the good on her first two albums, "The Best Damn Thing"... isn't.
Old 04-18-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdc3000

I got the same thing on my cd... I also think that I got the edited version, but It did not say anything on the package (I even retrieved the CD wrapper from the thrash to check)... Maybe it was done by the company so it won't have a parental sticker on it? I guess I need to check out other cd's Target to make sure.

after 2 listens, I like the album.
Old 04-19-07, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well, here's a cover of the 'dirty' version

And for those intersted, track 1 (Girlfriend), 2 (I can Do Better), and 9 (I Don't Have to Try) are the only tracks with swearing (unless the edited version also cuts out 'bitch' then you can add track 3 (runaway) and 6 (Everything Back But You)
And apparently, you have to buy the deluxe version with the bonus dvd to get the explicit version. or
Spoiler:
email me

Apparently (according to EW anyways) Travis Barker of Blink 182 played drums on the album
And Itunes had a bonus track when you pre ordered it (even though i technically 'downloaded' the album, my version didn't come with a bonus track)
and since I'm in the mood (and nice)
Girlfriend SNL
<embed width="425" height="335"src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/2GiRhDmrx8U4Jc72x" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>
I Can Do Better SNL
<embed width="425" height="335" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/BINMLBy7j56r7c73j" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Also, god damn, allmusic.com gave the album 4.5 out of 5 stars
"The serious Avril on Under My Skin never felt genuine — the shift from the exuberance of "Sk8er Boi" to the meandering ruminations of "Don't Tell Me" and "My Happy Ending" seemed sudden and forced, a misguided attempt to prove that Lavigne was a serious songwriter — so as soon as The Best Damn Thing opens with the bright bubblegum blast of "Girlfriend" and its cheerleader chant, everything within Avril's world seems right again." (well, then again, this is from the same guy who gave Paris Hilton's album the same grade)

I don't think this album has been out of my cd player yet (well that and 'ok computer')

Last edited by Rypro 525; 04-19-07 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-19-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howard Stern was tracking a few of the songs yesterday. Didn't sound too bad!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.