Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Third Eye Blind ...broken up?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What happened to this band. It's been almost 4 years since their last cd. They break up?
Old 12-18-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
We can only hope.
Old 12-18-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years active 1993 - Present
Old 12-18-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I think Jenkins is too busy nailing Vanessa Carlton..
Old 12-18-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by lopper
We can only hope.
Aren't you funny? Take that threadcrapping shit elsewhere.

The band really went downhill after Kevin Cadogan (sp?) left the band (creative differences, but said to be Jenkins insatiable ego) and took his cool alternate tunings with him. Crystal Baller was in my mind the closest thing on Out of Vein to sound like the old 3EB stuff.

Last I heard, Jenkins was writing and recording, but is a pretty busy producer these days, and, as stated, nailing Vanessa Carlton and wishing she were Charlize Theron.
Old 12-18-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
From http://www.gazette.uwo.ca/articles.c...ay=9&year=2006 :

According to Jenkins, the band is working on a fourth release that it intends to re-record in the studio, claiming it will be similar to its first album.
Searching Google, I found a few references to a studio album for 2007.
Old 12-18-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh

The band really went downhill after Kevin Cadogan (sp?) left the band (creative differences, but said to be Jenkins insatiable ego) and took his cool alternate tunings with him.

Yeah I miss those alternate tunings. That's usually what I look for in a great band
Old 12-18-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar
Yeah I miss those alternate tunings. That's usually what I look for in a great band
Must be Naysayer Day on DVD Talk Music.

Look, way to miss to the forest for the trees. The tunings made the songs different, and interesting, because it added a different tonal modality that you weren't hearing with other stuff. Granted, Graduate is the only alternate tuning 3EB song that got extensive airplay, but the albums were filled with cool ones (Narcolespy especially).
Old 12-18-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
I think Jenkins is too busy nailing Vanessa Carlton..
Sounds like a good trade to me.
Old 12-19-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alternative Press does a feature every month where the have someone from a newer/currently hot band interview one of their influences. Last month, they had one of the dudes from Panic AtThe Disco! interveiwing Stephen Jenkins, who did confirm that they are working on a new album for next year. Guess a lot of the music is done, but what's holding him up is the lyrics. Apparently he's a bit of a 'prefectionist' about them, and won't commit to laying down anything until it's 'just right'. On top of that, he was suffering from a bit of writer's block, and just kinda fed up with the music buisness, too.

Can't blame him after the debacle that was their fallout with Elektra Records.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 12-19-06 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-24-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

The band really went downhill after Kevin Cadogan (sp?) left the band (creative differences, but said to be Jenkins insatiable ego) and took his cool alternate tunings with him. Crystal Baller was in my mind the closest thing on Out of Vein to sound like the old 3EB stuff.

Last I heard, Jenkins was writing and recording, but is a pretty busy producer these days, and, as stated, nailing Vanessa Carlton and wishing she were Charlize Theron.
Was just thinking the other day, whatever happened to this band? Remember the riff between them and Matchbox 20? Kind of the American version of Oasis vs. Blur. Anyway, I know nothing about the band personally. I assume Jenkins is the lead singer (?). And while he's a good enough looking bloke, and they had some insanely catchy tunes, he was insufferable to watch. Clearly he thinks very highly of himself. If not, he carries himself in a very smug way. That said, this is one band I will only listen to from now on.
Old 12-24-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Was just thinking the other day, whatever happened to this band? Remember the riff between them and Matchbox 20? Kind of the American version of Oasis vs. Blur. Anyway, I know nothing about the band personally. I assume Jenkins is the lead singer (?). And while he's a good enough looking bloke, and they had some insanely catchy tunes, he was insufferable to watch. Clearly he thinks very highly of himself. If not, he carries himself in a very smug way. That said, this is one band I will only listen to from now on.
Well, having met and spent time with the man on more than one occasion, I can tell you that's it's more of a case of him being a brutally honest/no nonsense/no bullsh*t/straight shooting kind of person. He's not the kind of guy to put on heirs, and he's not afraid to tell it like it is - or at least, how he sees it - and if you don't happen to agree with him, well then, he doesn't really care.
To some, that might make him a right bastard - but I've always appreciated his frankness, and he's always been very kind to me - so I've got no issues with him.
Old 12-25-06, 08:42 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Well, having met and spent time with the man on more than one occasion, I can tell you that's it's more of a case of him being a brutally honest/no nonsense/no bullsh*t/straight shooting kind of person. He's not the kind of guy to put on heirs, and he's not afraid to tell it like it is - or at least, how he sees it - and if you don't happen to agree with him, well then, he doesn't really care.
To some, that might make him a right bastard - but I've always appreciated his frankness, and he's always been very kind to me - so I've got no issues with him.
Yeah, that's called SMUG.
Old 12-25-06, 03:27 PM

I'm pretty sure what he actually did was put the band in his name legally, just before the band signed their contract. This means he owns the band/royalties/etc, leaving their original guitarist (and rest of the band) out to dry. They didn't even find this out until much later. A bit more of an asshole than smug if you ask me.
Old 12-25-06, 05:01 PM

They are still around, last year at the Arena Football Championship Game, they played the half-time show and done 'Semi-Charmed Life' or whatever their original hit was...
Old 12-27-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
There's a DJ at the alt rock station in Houston that tells a hilarious story about Jenkins getting up on a table at a restaurant during their first tour (the DJ was roadie or something), and basically dancing around and kicking everyone's plate off the table. After he finished, they asked him why he did it. He replied that he did it because he could. Sounds like an ass to me.

With that said, I enjoyed their music.
Old 05-10-08, 12:08 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
i just went to see them last night at a local bar and they sounded pretty good. Jenkins was talking about a new album but i cannot find ANY info on it...not even on their myspace page
Old 05-10-08, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

wikipedia is your friend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursa_Major_%28album%29
they also claim that its set for a fall 08 release and recording starts this month.
Old 05-10-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I dunno, I always thought this was on the better mid-to-late-90's pop-rock bands.
Old 05-10-08, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder what other forgotten 90's bands will randomly have a thread about them show up.

"Dude! Why hasn't there been a new Eve 6 album? I bet it would kick Fastball's ASS!"
Old 05-10-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I wonder what other forgotten 90's bands will randomly have a thread about them show up.

"Dude! Why hasn't there been a new Eve 6 album? I bet it would kick Fastball's ASS!"
Spin Doctors to tour with Ace of Base!
Old 05-10-08, 05:17 PM
Banned

I talked with the band when they stopped at Buffalo for a show. Their new album is supposed to come out in the fall, they also have a live cd coming out, which they were recording that night.
Old 05-12-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Their first album was good but the follow-up sucked donkey balls.
Old 05-12-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne

I'd kill for a new Eve 6 album.
Old 05-12-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I was in HS when Third Eye Blind hit it big, I saw them live in concert and still when I clicked on this thread I couldn't remember a single song they did (finally remembered Graduate). they always seemed to play secong fiddle to The Wallflowers (along with Matchbox 20 and 3 Doors down).