Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Yusuf Islam: Another Cup (Cat Stevens)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-03-06, 09:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Anyone by this CD? I heard its somewhat a throwback to his early non-islamic days in terms of music.
Old 12-03-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got it a few days ago and really like it. Have only a couple of his earlier CDs, but it does have that kind of vibe to it. The man still has a great voice.
Old 12-04-06, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Sounds interesting. I have all his '60s and '70s work.
Old 12-04-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I like it. It's sort of like he's been in a time capsule and still has the same youthful voice and is untouched by any musical influences of the past 25 years. It's a little preachy but that's no real surprise. I'm more surprised by how comfortable and familiar the sound still is. It does seem odd to me that he was willing to drop Islam from his name and go by just Yusuf on this CD. I'm sure that he has a good explanation for that but at first glance, it appears that they assumed it would hurt sales if they didn't.
Old 07-09-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got around to picking this up. I like a lot of Cat Stevens' earlier work (pre-Muslim days) and this album actually didn't dissapoint me one bit. Some of the songs have the same warmth to his voice that his earlier songs have.

Last edited by SlingshotBandit; 07-09-07 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-09-07, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Really enjoyed his performance at Live Earth
I have yet to give a listen to the new album but have the feeling I will like it as I do his early albums.

Just had a look at the track listing...
Remake of 'I think I see the light' ?

Last edited by VHS?; 07-09-07 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-09-07, 02:42 AM
Cool New Member

I'm a little hesitant about purchasing anything produced by him, for the obvious reasons.

It just makes me stop and think of what I'm doing...and I don't do this for ANY other artist. It's a little unsettling to have to do this, but....
Old 07-09-07, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by filmmusicfan
I'm a little hesitant about purchasing anything produced by him, for the obvious reasons.

It just makes me stop and think of what I'm doing...and I don't do this for ANY other artist. It's a little unsettling to have to do this, but....
You know what? I feel the same way which is weird because I'm one of those people who almost always says that a person's political beliefs never have any sway whether I like their music or not (or I'd have to throw away the majority of my CDs). I enjoy some of Stevens' earlier tunes, but he's not someone I've very fond of these days.
Old 07-09-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What has he done do make you all feel that way? Because the U.S were retarded and put him on the terror watch list BY MISTAKE and NEVER admitted to it?
Perhaps because he was FOOLED into a charity that supported the bad guys and once he found out fixed the problem? Or maybe it's simply because he is now Muslim ?
He is against a lot of the same things just like many other artists I am sure you listen to but I don't see you having a problem with those guys....
Old 07-09-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by VHS?
What has he done do make you all feel that way? Because the U.S were retarded and put him on the terror watch list BY MISTAKE and NEVER admitted to it?
Perhaps because he was FOOLED into a charity that supported the bad guys and once he found out fixed the problem? Or maybe it's simply because he is now Muslim ?
He is against a lot of the same things just like many other artists I am sure you listen to but I don't see you having a problem with those guys....
Old 07-09-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Well said.

After all, it's not like he's Michael Jackson or something
Old 07-09-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Which part of Peace Train or Moonshadow implies anything but a man who wants peace and love?
Old 07-09-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I guess he's okay, as long as no one has a problem with him supporting the execution of a fellow artist for expressing himself.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N7KnWHDFsjo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N7KnWHDFsjo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 07-09-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
While none of us is privy to his exact views on things, he has piped up with some controversial statements over the years, including an endorsement of the ridiculous Rushdie fatwa. I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt until he says something too deplorable to ignore.
I still haven't picked up this album, but I plan to.
Old 07-09-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ky-Fi,
Next time pay attention to the video.You heard what you wanted to and not what was being said.
1. Hypothetical scenario
2. Opinion that Salmon Rusdie deserved to die.
You know how many people in the U.S. alone would and have said the same about G.W.Bush? How many have said the same about others?
3. Under Islamic law, what Salmon Rusdie said and did would result in death.Thats just the way it is.
4. He said he would NOT kill him unless in an Islamic State and ORDERED to do so by JUDGE or AUTHORITY.
Would you in the same situation not do the same? You do know it could mean death if you do not, right?
Old 07-09-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ky-Fi,
Next time pay attention to the video.You heard what you wanted to and not what was being said.
1. Hypothetical scenario
You know how many people in the U.S. alone would and have said the same about G.W.Bush? How many have said the same about others?
3. Under Islamic law, what Salmon Rusdie said and did would result in death.Thats just the way it is.
4. He said he would NOT kill him unless in an Islamic State and ORDERED to do so by JUDGE or AUTHORITY.
Would you in the same situation not do the same? You do know it could mean death if you do not, right?
Holy crap. Simply unbelievable.
Old 07-09-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ky-Fi,
1. Hypothetical scenario
Hey, I'm not preaching. It's a free internet. If his stance doesn't bother you, then it doesn't bother you.
Old 07-09-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

atlantamoi,
Explain why my post is simply unbelievable.
I love it when people just post words with no explanation.How can one think to agree with such lack of explanation?

Ky-Fi,
His stance doesn't bother me because it is no different than many other opinions and beliefs others have towards smaller issues.
When someone talks shit and you don't like it, more than likely you probably say the person deserves to have his ass kicked.Now ass kicking and being killed is very different but it's still observed as a violent repercussion for an opinion and thinking that you do not agree upon.
Old 07-10-07, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

atlantamoi,
Explain why my post is simply unbelievable.
I love it when people just post words with no explanation.How can one think to agree with such lack of explanation?
It amazes me that you don't realize why your post was so wrong. And it's easy to come back and explain, so I will.

You just gave approval or some type of understanding to why someone would agree to kill under the guidance of a religion. Killing an author at that. I don't know if you are a Muslim, but it's disgusting to me that anyone could even slightly understand killing under order of a religous leader. Cat Stevens believes what you posted and I could never respect someone for believing such nonsense.

BTW, this has nothing to do with some idiot saying Bush or anyone else should die. It's wrong no matter who says it.
Old 07-10-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never said I agree.I stated that that was the way it is in that religion.I also stated that his answer to yes he would if told by ISLAMIC LAW was something that just is.If you are told do do so by Islamic rule, you better do it otherwise it is you that ends up dead.Thats all he said.
I do not agree either that these laws or beliefs take place but just like everyone who has their own religions and beliefs want them to be respected, you have to respect theirs.You may not think they are right, but they may think the same for others and they do.
Killing anyone for a belief or religion is horrible.But they have had those beliefs for years and nobody is going to change them.
And yes, this has everything to do with some idiot saying Bush or anyone else should die.It's the same thing.I hear it all the time actually for his actions.Only it isn't televised like Cat Stevens words were.If they were, we would have the same situation going on.
Old 07-10-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

but just like everyone who has their own religions and beliefs want them to be respected, you have to respect theirs.
No I don't.
I respect your right to believe whatever you want, but it doesn't mean I respect what you actually believe. We'll have to disagree on some of your points. Just because some religion has been around for 1500 years doesn't mean their law is moral or just when they call out for destruction of other human beings for believing differently. It's sick.

Anyway, back to Stevens. Enjoy the music. I can still hear an old song he's done and enjoy it. Just not really interested in what the man has to say today.
Old 07-10-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

His stance doesn't bother me because it is no different than many other opinions and beliefs others have towards smaller issues.
When someone talks shit and you don't like it, more than likely you probably say the person deserves to have his ass kicked.
Well, if any subset of artists did deserve a good beating, in my book it would certainly be those boring-as-hell wuss-rock 70's singer/songwriters. But actually (and I know this may sound shocking and unbelievable)---I don't support violent physical assaults on any artists.
Old 07-11-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Well, if any subset of artists did deserve a good beating, in my book it would certainly be those boring-as-hell wuss-rock 70's singer/songwriters. But actually (and I know this may sound shocking and unbelievable)---I don't support violent physical assaults on any artists.
Somewhere Dan Fogelberg lets out a sigh of relief.
Old 07-12-07, 01:42 AM
Cool New Member

He crossed a line as a Performer, and he is not THAT convincing about explaining all of the inconsistencies about it, in the seemingly half-hearted "explanations" that he offered and that I have seen. Something is a little "off" and doesn't fit about his explanations.

There is "something" going on that is missing from this story and that we are not being told. Can't articulate it more than that, but it's enough for me to stay away.

As to your statement in the third paragraph, though you don't mention any names and their problems, I don't think "those guys" have the gravity of his problems.
Old 07-14-07, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Ky-Fi,
1. Hypothetical scenario
That was absolutly not the point he was making....hey, if an artist supporting the murder of another artist for expressing an opinion is cool with you...whatever