Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Post-metal...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post-metal...

I can't really think of a label for this type of music but the critics seem to label it "post-metal". I've been listening to bands like Isis, Boris, Mono and Pelican. They combine crunching riffs with the "shoegaze" soundscapes of bands like My Bloody Valentine and Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Anyway, I'm just getting started on this genre and everything I've heard has been terrific, particularly Isis' "Panopticon" and Boris' "Pink". In fact, both albums are so good I'm surprised that I hadn't heard more about them from "best of" lists etc.

Any other suggestions from people more in the know?
Old 11-17-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree about Isis. I haven't heard more than a few songs, but really like what I've heard, and they were great live opening for Tool.
Old 11-17-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I can't really think of a label for this type of music but the critics seem to label it "post-metal". I've been listening to bands like Isis, Boris, Mono and Pelican. They combine crunching riffs with the "shoegaze" soundscapes of bands like My Bloody Valentine and Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Anyway, I'm just getting started on this genre and everything I've heard has been terrific, particularly Isis' "Panopticon" and Boris' "Pink". In fact, both albums are so good I'm surprised that I hadn't heard more about them from "best of" lists etc.

Any other suggestions from people more in the know?
Most people who are into Isis also dig Neurosis and Cult of Luna. Isis has sure mellowed out a lot though ... if you like your music a little crunchier, and with more screaming, check out their first album Celestial. I really like Panopticon, but it's a little too laid back for my tastes. Same goes for their new one, In the Absense of Truth.
Old 11-17-06, 11:20 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Yay, Isis fans! You should definitely check out "Red Sparowes". At least one member of Isis is in the band. If I had to describe them, I'd say that they're the 100% instrumental version of Isis. Very good stuff.
Old 11-18-06, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if Opeth would fit into this category?
Old 11-18-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
I wonder if Opeth would fit into this category?
No, I think Opeth fits more into the Swedish Death/Progressive Metal catagory.

Btw, you can get the Isis EP Mosquito Control for only 4 bucks on itunes... great deal, since amazon charges 12.
Old 11-18-06, 09:10 PM

You can also get Isis (and Opeth) on eMusic for even cheaper. And, no DRM!

The Opeth 'Damnation' album isn't really any kind of Metal though...
Old 11-19-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Opeth is more classic speed metal with prog influences (or is prog-metal with speed metal influence); very old school in a modern kind of way. The kind of band you hoped Slayer would grow up to be.
Old 11-19-06, 01:18 AM
Banned

Mono are Post-Rock, because they just rip off other Post-Rock bands like Mogwai and GYBE.
Old 11-19-06, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Opeth is more classic speed metal with prog influences (or is prog-metal with speed metal influence); very old school in a modern kind of way. The kind of band you hoped Slayer would grow up to be.
Hum, are you sure you've heard the album Damnation?
Cuz it isn't like any of that. It's great, but it's mellow intricate and soulful.

Their other stuff would be called 'progressive death metal' but even that doesn't truly do it justice.
Old 11-20-06, 12:49 PM

ive been listening mostly to a subgenre ive heard called "True Metal" or "Wiper Rock" or even some return of NWOBHM.

Bands are usually heavily influenced by Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest and early Iron Maiden. The two main American bands ive seen are The Lord Weird Slough Feg (or just Slough Feg) and Bible of the Devil.

really good stuff, and yes they have myspaces :/
Old 11-20-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard Slough Feg the other week and was totally blown away by them. They've nailed that Iron Maiden type vibe down completely.
Old 11-21-06, 07:11 AM

You could give these bands a try (if you haven't already):
Neurosis
Cult Of Luna
Pelican
Burst

and maybe Mastodon, though they're more on the metal side (awesome nontheless)