DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   U2: new "best of" + re-release of entire catalogue? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/479653-u2-new-best-re-release-entire-catalogue.html)

gerrythedon 10-04-06 01:52 AM

U2: new "best of" + re-release of entire catalogue?

It looks as if U2 will be releasing a new "definitive" 'best of' collection that will feature 2 new songs including a new song cut with Green Day. There is no word on what tracks will be the 16 included nor what the compile will be called. It is slated for release on November 21 for the US and November 20 for Europe. A trip to CDUniverse will unveil a tasty secret in that the entire catalogue for U2 is being re-released onin November 14, with Rattle and Hum arriving on October 10. I have no idea what these are but they should be interesting to find out. If anyone knows... Oh, I forgot to mention that there will be a Deluxe Edition of the CD available on the same date.

MUSICTAP.net

JeffDoeXXX 10-04-06 07:08 AM

Would be nice if they included GLORIA, 11 O' CLOCK TICK TOCK & A CELEBRATION this time, but with only 16 songs, I doubt it. Can't wait for the track with Green day. Two of my favorite bands together.

GuessWho 10-04-06 08:50 AM

Universal Music's UK branch has registered four domain names that seem to give away the name of the just-announced "best of" album. The four names registered on Monday are:

U218.com
U218.net
U2eighteen.com
U2eighteen.net

maxfisher 10-04-06 09:24 AM

What a joke. I still like U2, even if it's been nearly a decade since they put out an album I really enjoy, but come on. After this is released, 3 of their last 5 official releases will have been greatest hits albums.

98 - Greatest Hits 80-90
00 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
02 - Greatest Hits 90-00
04 - How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
0? - Greatest Hits of our previous Greatest Hits albums along with a couple singles from our last two mediocre albums and a single with Green Day

I really would've hoped for better from them.

GuessWho 10-04-06 09:27 AM

Before the 80-90 disc, the big announcement was that U2 struck a deal with the record company for 3 greatest hits albums. Looks to me like they're just trying to hurry up & fulfill that obligation without having to wait till 2010.

GuessWho 10-04-06 09:32 AM

re: previous post
http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src...=&Year=&Cat=10

cerulean 10-05-06 12:52 AM

U2 wanted to change their record company from Island to Interscope in the US. Part of the deal allowing them to go was for Island to release 3 greatest hits albums. They are still represented by Island in the rest of the world.

Hollowgen 10-05-06 07:01 PM

i'm very interested in re-issues/remasters of their back catalogue.

i can barely hear achtung baby on my stereo.

shaggy 10-05-06 09:34 PM

I would love remastered special editions of the entire back catalogue.

Best of albums have nothing to do with a band's current state, good or bad. U2 have managed to stay relevent for over 20 years, and they continue to release worthwhile new material. Greatest Hits albums are pure business and this one is part of U2's last record deal. On the bright side, U2 have always made their best ofs something worth buying. I own every CD and single and I still buy the best ofs because they include new songs, new mixes, and a bonus disc. I hope they do the same this time.

RichardW 10-07-06 06:47 PM

I'd be up for a remastered catalog, but I think the only way I'd buy another best of is if it had a bonus CD of b-sides like the other two did.

Supermallet 10-07-06 07:21 PM

I'd immediately buy every remastered album from War through Zooropa if they re-released them. Couldn't care less about a greatest hits.

Filmmaker 10-07-06 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'd immediately buy every remastered album from War through Zooropa if they re-released them. Couldn't care less about a greatest hits.

Funny, BOY and OCTOBER are the albums I'm most excited about getting remastered.

Supermallet 10-07-06 09:41 PM

I find both of those to be underdeveloped and I rarely listen to them. But from War through Zooropa they were pretty consistently brilliant.

Filmmaker 10-08-06 07:38 AM

For me, it's not a question of "which U2 albums are true masterpieces?"; as many here will tell you, I'm obsessed with the band and have little in the way of such objectivity. For me, I'll rebuy them all--happily--but look the most forward to BOY and OCTOBER because they're the oldest albums and, hence, stand to benefit the most from a remastering.

JeffDoeXXX 10-08-06 10:17 AM

I don't get it when "fans" say they couldn't care less about a greatest hits cd. Well, I always buy them. If you're a fan, you want all the songs, and if they add a couple new songs to a best of cd, don't you want those? I know in this iTunes age it is easy to get the one or two new songs easily, but, I always like the artwork and credits in the actual cd liner notes.

Hollowgen 10-08-06 10:42 AM

If they did something along the lines of what the Cure, Depeche Mode, Pavement, etc. are doing for remaster/reissues, I think we'd all trade in our 80's cds for those.

Mr. Salty 10-08-06 06:24 PM

I have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs editions of "War," "Unforgettable Fire" and "Joshua Tree," so I'm good there, but I'll definitely pick up all the other remasters.

Filmmaker 10-08-06 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs editions of "War," "Unforgettable Fire" and "Joshua Tree," so I'm good there, but I'll definitely pick up all the other remasters.

Ditto, and I was thinking exactly the same thing--surely a remaster can't sound better than a recording directly off the master tapes (unless some kind of sonic trickery/"cooking" is done); besides, the remasters of WAR and UNFORGETTABLE FIRE almost certainly will contain the usual edited versions of "Seconds", "New Year's Day" and "4th of July" that are presented full-length on the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs releases, so I can pass on those unless they offer some exclusive bonus material.

neocheddar02 10-08-06 08:01 PM

I heard the new Green day Collab. on the radio. Apparently the song was supposed to be used exclusively for charity, yet it's going to make an appearance on yet another U2 Greatest Hits. Hmmm...

JeffDoeXXX 10-09-06 07:37 AM

Yes, it can still be for charity AND on a cd.

gerrythedon 10-09-06 08:17 PM

U2 switches labels within Universal Music

Irish rock band U2 has left its long-time label Island Records and moved to Mercury Records, within the Universal Music Group stable, a Universal spokeswoman said on Monday.

One of the world's biggest bands with album sales in excess of 150 million, U2 decided to move after Jason Iley, a senior executive formerly of Island, moved to Mercury last year.

"We foster strong relationships at Universal Music," said the spokeswoman. "We have the best artists and the best executives and we're proud of how closely they work together."

She denied a report in Britain's Independent newspaper that U2 was upset about Island's "hands-off approach" toward them.

Island signed the band in 1980. Universal Music Group is the world's biggest music company and a unit of France's Vivendi.

YAHOO.com

maxfisher 10-09-06 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by JeffDoeXXX
I don't get it when "fans" say they couldn't care less about a greatest hits cd. Well, I always buy them. If you're a fan, you want all the songs, and if they add a couple new songs to a best of cd, don't you want those? I know in this iTunes age it is easy to get the one or two new songs easily, but, I always like the artwork and credits in the actual cd liner notes.

On the other side of the coin, I don't get it when "fans" will shell out $15 for a cd that only contains 1 or 2 songs they don't already own. I'll only buy a greatest hits compilation if a band has a couple songs I like, but I don't enjoy them enough to justify buying their albums. Otherwise it just seems like a huge waste. I'd rather spend my money discovering another artist.

FrozenMetalHead 10-10-06 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
On the other side of the coin, I don't get it when "fans" will shell out $15 for a cd that only contains 1 or 2 songs they don't already own. I'll only buy a greatest hits compilation if a band has a couple songs I like, but I don't enjoy them enough to justify buying their albums. Otherwise it just seems like a huge waste. I'd rather spend my money discovering another artist.

And to slightly counter that argument: The non-deluxe edition will probably be $10 during the 1st week, when most fans will buy it. That's about the price that US fans would pay for a UK improt single that costs $10-$12, which usually includes only 1 or 2 new songs or remixes. Granted most fans will purchase the deluxe edition anyways.

That said - this is a rediculous release given the previous 2 GH packages. I'd rather see them put out a 2 or 3 CD mega Best Of/Anthology if they have to release a compliation. But I'm sure the 1 discer will sell much more.

gerrythedon 10-12-06 11:43 PM

U2 has christened its new compilation "U218 Singles" and revealed additional details about the release, due Nov. 21 via Interscope. Although the track list has yet to be announced beyond a new song and a cover of "The Saints Go Marching" with Green Day, a limited edition of the album will include a 10-song live bonus disc from a 2005 show in Milan.

Also due on a date yet to be announced is a "best of" DVD collecting videos for the tracks from "U218 Singles," according to the band's Web site.

BILLBOARD.com

Hollowgen 10-13-06 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
a limited edition of the album will include a 10-song live bonus disc from a 2005 show in Milan.

ah shit, i'll buy it just for that.