Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary Edition

Old 09-20-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary Edition

Anyone have this yet and is it worth picking up?
Old 09-20-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The audio disc is the same as the first stereo reissue. All tracks in mono, then repeated in stereo. The DVD contains the album in 5.1...not DVD-A though. The video material on the DVD is interesting but not essential.

All in all, if you don't have Pet Sounds, this is definitely the version to get. If you've already got it, I wouldn't pick it up unless you're a Beach Boys completist.
Old 09-20-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never heard Pet Sounds in stereo. Is it worth it? Also, doesn't that sort of go again Wilson's intent?
Old 09-20-06, 03:53 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
The audio disc is the same as the first stereo reissue. All tracks in mono, then repeated in stereo.
Is the stereo mix still missing some of the overdubs (Brian's vocal on the fade of God Only Knows, the vocal double from You Still Believe In Me)?
Old 09-20-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the pet sounds box set is amazing...accapella tracks and all.
Old 09-20-06, 05:23 PM

For some more comments on the box, check out this discussion over at HTF http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=241572
Old 09-20-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got the Pet Sounds Sessions box set... can't see myself needing this.
Old 09-20-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the DVD-Audio disc, so I probably won't get this.
Old 09-20-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sb5
Is the stereo mix still missing some of the overdubs (Brian's vocal on the fade of God Only Knows, the vocal double from You Still Believe In Me)?
While I love Pet Sounds as much as just about any other album I own, I have no idea. Sorry.
Old 09-20-06, 11:21 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

There should be some sort of indication in the liner notes. In the 2001 mono/stereo version there's a section in the CD booklet called "Notes on the Recording and Mixing of the Original and Stereo Versions of Pet Sounds" that mentions what elements couldn't be recovered for use on the stereo remix.

It's not a big deal; just wondering if they ever found the missing vocal tracks.
Old 09-22-06, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've never heard Pet Sounds in stereo. Is it worth it? Also, doesn't that sort of go again Wilson's intent?
From what I've heard Brian Wilson is deaf in one ear and can't mix albums in stereo. He had to have someone else come in to do the mixing.

Did anyone pick up the reissue on vinyl? Only 10,000 copies released and it's the first time the stereo mix has been on vinyl. A buddy of mine picked it up earlier this week so I'll be listening to it this weekend.
Old 09-22-06, 11:28 AM

AVC: You're deaf in one ear…

BW: Yeah. I'm deaf in my right ear.

AVC: So when you originally mixed Pet Sounds, you did a mono mix.

BW: Right.

AVC: So what do you get out of the new stereo and surround-sound mixes?

BW: What do I get? I don't get to hear it! I only have one ear, so I don't get to enjoy the stereophonic thing.

AVC: It's initially hard to interpret Pet Sounds in mono. There's so much going on. But the stereo mix…

BW: Quite a sound, huh? The listeners are in for a real treat with the stereo mix, you know? It should be great. And I hope they all enjoy it with their two ears.
I found it. Interview here
Old 09-22-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Super J
Did anyone pick up the reissue on vinyl? Only 10,000 copies released and it's the first time the stereo mix has been on vinyl. A buddy of mine picked it up earlier this week so I'll be listening to it this weekend.
I didn't grab it, due to lukewarm reviews over at the Steve Hoffman forums. I've got my DVD-Audio, plus the DCC gold CD of the mono mix, that's enough for me (I'll probably pick up the Sessions box set at some point). Looks like the thread was deleted, but Steve himself mentioned that they're trying to get the rights to reissue PS on vinyl. Now that, I'd buy.
Old 09-22-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The DVD-Audio disc is dreadful. No bass and the way the vocals are mixed all around without a center channel just sounds awful. I'd rather just hear the mono version.
Old 09-22-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Super J

I believe there was actually a Japanese stereo mix on vynil...came out 6-7 years ago
Old 09-22-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cungar
The DVD-Audio disc is dreadful. No bass and the way the vocals are mixed all around without a center channel just sounds awful. I'd rather just hear the mono version.
Aside from the rears being 2-3db too loud, I don't mind the mch mix. Discrete centre channels are overrated, IMHO.
Old 09-26-06, 11:06 AM
Banned

I've been wanting to buy "Pet Sounds" for a long time and I had my eye on the "Pet Sounds Sessions" box set before this one was announced. I compared it to this 40th Anniversary edition and to me it looks like "Sessions" is still the way to go. I ordered it with my Amazon Prime trial and it should arrive tomorrow.
Old 09-28-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYI - this is like $12.99 at Costco this week. I finally decided I needed it after loving SMILE!
Old 09-28-06, 08:07 PM
Banned by request

Maybe I read the track listing wrong, but I can swear when I saw it yesterday at Best Buy, it only listed the mono tracks.
Old 09-29-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Maybe I read the track listing wrong, but I can swear when I saw it yesterday at Best Buy, it only listed the mono tracks.
You did. I bought it from Best Buy. Every track is in Mono and then again in Stereo (except the bonus track Hang Onto Your Ego, which is only in Mono). The Best Buy version also has two WMA-protected bonus downloads of live tracks, not that they're worth anything.

The set is only $14.99 at Costco. That's where to get it, if you're a member.
Old 09-29-06, 12:25 AM
Banned by request

So the back of the CD lists the stereo version? I'm not disputing that it's on the CD, I'm just trying to determine if the stereo version is listed on the back.
Old 09-29-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, the back of my case is just fuzzy. There was an inset with the tracks, but I tossed it out.
Old 09-29-06, 09:25 AM

After it lists the tracks, it says something along the lines of "Tracks 14-27 are the album in stereo"
Old 09-30-06, 09:37 PM
Banned by request

Gotcha. Thanks!