Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

INXS reportedly loses U.S. deal

Old 09-20-06, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If true, this sucks. I just got tickets to their show coming here in November.

INXS could be in a mess. Billboard.com reported yesterday that INXS, which features Canadian front man J.D. Fortune, has been dropped by Epic Records "in North America."

However, it is not yet known if any such action by Epic in the U.S. automatically would sever ties in Canada between INXS and Epic's parent company, Sony BMG.

Calls to Epic Records in the U.S. resulted in neither a confirmation nor a denial, but only a "no comment."

A spokesperson at Sony BMG Canada said at this point there's nothing to comment on, because as far as the Canadian branch knows, there's no news yet.

The Billboard.com story specified that INXS is continuing its relationship with Sony BMG in Australia, which is the band's home country.

The Mississauga-born Fortune became the group's lead singer when he won the televised Rock Star: INXS competition last year.

He replaced the late Michael Hutchence.

The revitalized INXS predictably has been a bigger hit in Canada and Australia than in the U.S.

INXS still has Canadian concerts scheduled for November in St. John's, Nl., Sudbury, Hamilton and Oshawa, provided this reported development does not scuttle those plans.

INXS recently cancelled a handful of concerts because guitarist Tim Farriss required surgery to repair torn knee ligaments.

-- with files from Reuters
Old 09-20-06, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh. Even though I watched Rockstar, this means squat to me. I'd rather listen to the early albums and enjoy what once was.
Old 09-20-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Like the article said, they are doing really well here in Canada. Playing sold out shows, getting a lot of airplay.
Old 09-20-06, 09:41 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

A bad omen for Supernova, considering "Pretty Vegas" got way more airplay and promotion than what their songs likely will.
Old 09-20-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
A bad omen for Supernova, considering "Pretty Vegas" got way more airplay and promotion than what their songs likely will.
I believe you mean Rock Star Supernova
Old 09-20-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm surprised. I thought "Switch" was better than some of the later M.H. INXS albums. (At least one of the last ones)
Old 09-20-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very surprising, considering that the Switch album has sold over 375,000 copies here in the US alone, and over 150, 000 copies in Canada - which in this day an age is pretty damn good for just about anyone.

Probably could have sold even more, had Sony/Epic bothered to promote it better - which, they hardly did at all.
Old 02-16-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: INXS reportedly loses U.S. deal

An update on poor ol' JD Fortune:

On 16 February 2009, JD revealed in an interview with Entertainment Tonight Canada that INXS fired him from the band with a shake of the hand at an airport in Hong Kong. The band is once again without a frontman and their new album indefinitely put on hold. JD is back to living out of his car (pickup truck) and saving/stealing every dime to try and get his solo album out ("Death of a motivational speaker"). He said he's been off of all drugs including cocaine for the past 2 years.
Old 02-16-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movieking View Post
An update on poor ol' JD Fortune:

On 16 February 2009, JD revealed in an interview with Entertainment Tonight Canada that INXS fired him from the band with a shake of the hand at an airport in Hong Kong. The band is once again without a frontman and their new album indefinitely put on hold. JD is back to living out of his car (pickup truck) and saving/stealing every dime to try and get his solo album out ("Death of a motivational speaker"). He said he's been off of all drugs including cocaine for the past 2 years.
This is just weird. INXS might as well just call it a day. In fact, they should have after Hutchence killed himself. By all means, keep the band. They are very very talented. I've seen them countless times starting in a gym at Univerysity of Maryland in the early 80's. Right up until the Capital Center (18,000 people). But no one will come close to Hutchence. Just get another singer, change the name of the band, and go from there. And no more reality shows if you ain't going to try to make it work. One album isn't enough.
Old 02-17-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Band should've called it a day the day Hutchence died, frankly.
Old 02-17-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The band are not happy about aging and they were jealous of all the attention JD was getting, mainly from women. Seriously, this is true. I have a friend who was close to the production of the tour.
Old 02-17-09, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
This is just weird. INXS might as well just call it a day. In fact, they should have after Hutchence killed himself. By all means, keep the band. They are very very talented. I've seen them countless times starting in a gym at Univerysity of Maryland in the early 80's. Right up until the Capital Center (18,000 people). But no one will come close to Hutchence. Just get another singer, change the name of the band, and go from there. And no more reality shows if you ain't going to try to make it work. One album isn't enough.
100% agreed. Obviously Andrew Farriss is very talented, but without Hutchence it just isn't INXS.
Old 02-17-09, 01:59 PM

Oh dear, how the mighty have fallen.
Old 02-17-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy View Post
The band are not happy about aging and they were jealous of all the attention JD was getting, mainly from women. Seriously, this is true. I have a friend who was close to the production of the tour.
I could see that happening. So much for getting your priorities straight. Do you want (more) fame and fortune? Or (more) pussy? You can always buy the latter. Idiots.
Old 02-17-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This just in -- JD is forming a new band with Ray Wilson and Gary Cherone.
Old 02-17-09, 02:41 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy View Post
Like they are really going to be pulling in a bunch of young tail without him there. Hell, most of those girls probably wouldn't even have been there in first place without the new exposure he gave them. I mean, JD is no Hutchence but at least he brought INXS into the 21st century and gave them a second chance in the spotlight.
Old 02-17-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Like they are really going to be pulling in a bunch of young tail without him there. Hell, most of those girls probably wouldn't even have been there in first place without the new exposure he gave them. I mean, JD is no Hutchence but at least he brought INXS into the 21st century and gave them a second chance in the spotlight.
Agree. That's what makes this so ridiculous. What's the alternative guys? Get an ugly lead singer? Or someone your own age?? To ensure you get all the tail you need without the jealousy? So stupid.
Old 02-17-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree. That's what makes this so ridiculous. What's the alternative guys? Get an ugly lead singer? Or someone your own age?? To ensure you get all the tail you need without the jealousy? So stupid.
Promote one of the other members to singer and tour county fairs without ever producing new music.

Worked for the Doors.
Old 02-17-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Promote one of the other members to singer and tour county fairs without ever producing new music.

Worked for the Doors.
Oh how sad.
Old 02-17-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

INXS is delusional if they think they have any current relevance in modern music. And this is coming from someone who listens to their music at least twice a month.
Old 02-17-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

eh I never liked JD Fortune even back during the Rock Star show. First off he came off as a total douche (even his stage name is douchey) and I just didn't particularly care for his vocals.

They should either hang it up or find some random internet guy like Journey, Alice in Chains, and Boston have done.
Old 02-17-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that Fortune seemed like a douche, but I did like most of the songs on the CD. I wonder if it had anything to do with his drug use. It doesn't really say when he was booted from the band either.
Old 02-17-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bummer. As I said above, I liked "Switch" quite a bit, and while JD was no Michael, he did a decent job as the subsitute singer.
Old 02-17-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Question for the Farriss brothers. How much money did you make with live shows and new music after Hutchence died? You didn't make any new music until Fortune and only played live with guest singers Jimmy Barnes, Jon Stevens and Terence Trent D'Abry (!!!). So surely you appeared on the music radar much higher with the reality show, Fortune and a minor hit song off that new album with the rejuvenized INXS. But no. You'd rather go back to oblivion and have guest singers again. Well done you. Yeah, someone needs to be fired alright. And it ain't Fortune. Their manager perhaps. Or maybe their PR person.
Old 02-17-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They should have gone with Suzie or Jordis.

(But I'd wager they'd still pull in more pussy than the old farts.)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.