Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ebay pulling Black Metal auctions

Old 09-19-06, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ebay pulling Black Metal auctions

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=58406

Paula Hogan of MANIC Music & Distribution and Candlelight Records USA has contacted BLABBERMOUTH.NET to report that "eBay is [allegedly] currently starting a ban on black/extreme metal. A few of our vendors who have sizeable eBay stores are now finding their items pulled down by eBay directly. The list we have compiled so far that have been pulled for sale via any eBay stores or auctions is noted below. I'm sure there are more."

Added Dan Ferguson of Indianapolis, IN's Abyss Records: "I had a number of items removed and account suspended by selling black metal. It seems a group of so-called Christians have been reporting black metal bands (even though eBay has black metal as a search genre) as all racist and hateful and discriminatory."

The items that were allegedly removed by eBay because they "violated the eBay Hateful or Discriminatory policy" are as follows:

BURZUM - Complete 6 LP SET
EMPEROR - IX Equilibrium ORIG. LP
WOTANORDEN - From The.. CD
BURZUM - s/t / Aske DOUBLE LP
1349 - Beyond The CD
DARKTHRONE - Panzerfaust CD
MAYHEM - Collection 4 LP SET
PANTHEON - Krihapentswor CD
DARKTHRONE - Total Death CD
BURZUM - Draugen CD DVD
BURZUM - Daudi Baldrs LP
BURZUM - Daudi Baldrs CD
ZYKLON B - Blood Must Be Shed CD
ARMAGGEDON - Imperium CD
EMPEROR - Demo LP
1349 - Hellfire DOUBLE LP
DARKTHRONE - Hate Them CD
BURZUM - Filosofem DOUBLE LP
BURZUM - Hlidskjalf LP
BURZUM - Det Som Engang Var DIGI CD
CAMULOS / AINSHVAL - Split CD
BURZUM - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss LP
BURZUM - Det Som Engang Var LP
NOKTURNAL MORTUM - Weltanschauung CD
SATYRICON - Now, Diabolical CD

In eBay's e-mail to Ferguson explaining their decision to remove his listing, they write, "eBay doesn't permit sellers to list items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, or racial intolerance. Items that promote organizations with such views are also prohibited.

"eBay will judiciously disallow listings or items that promote or glorify hatred, violence or racial intolerance, or items that promote organizations (such as Nazis, neo-Nazis and Aryan Nation) with such views. This policy also applies to listings that offer shipping to countries where certain items may be illegal."
Old 09-19-06, 06:20 AM
Banned

sheesh
Old 09-19-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This pissed me off until I decided to look into the bands banned. Burzum has a message board and their fan base, at least on there, seems to be white supremacist idiots who look up to Hitler and celebrate 9/11 because it killed Americans. The band's lead singer is a neo-nazi who's in prison for burning churches and stabbing a man to death.

Wotanorden's new album is titled 'Aryan Culture Preservation' and from what I can tell, they're not being cheeky or ironic.

Zyklon B, well, the name of their band is taken from an insecticide used to kill Jews at Aushchwitz, so they've got that going for them.

All in all, I can't really bring myself to give a shit if ebay doesn't want to allow these types of assholes on their site. If the government was banning their music, I'd stick up for their right to voice their idiotic opinions via shitty music, but ebay's a private company and they're not obligated to allow anyone's stuff to be sold on their site.
Old 09-19-06, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Emperor racist? Give me a MF'en break...
Old 09-19-06, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
This pissed me off until I decided to look into the bands banned. Burzum has a message board and their fan base, at least on there, seems to be white supremacist idiots who look up to Hitler and celebrate 9/11 because it killed Americans. The band's lead singer is a neo-nazi who's in prison for burning churches and stabbing a man to death.
You might want to look a little deeper into the story.
Old 09-19-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trout
You might want to look a little deeper into the story.
Since that re-verifies the murder and arson, I'm assuming you're talking about the quote about how his outlook differs from nazism. To start with, he used to call himself a nazi, so the info I'd previously seen was outdated, but not entirely erroneous. Also, if you go to his autobiography on his website and read the quote in context, he says that his regret about using the word 'nazi' to define himself is that during WWII, German nazi's mistreated Slavs and he thinks Slavs are a-ok. What a stunning distinction.

If you like Burzum's music, more power to you. From what I can tell, Varg keeps his worldview out of the songs. Defending him as a person is kind of ridiculous though. After taking 10 minutes or so to skim his autobiography and some other writings, I have an even stronger impression that he's a totally worthless human being.
Old 09-19-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We had this discussion on Lala. All we have is one store owner's opinion that Christian groups are behind this, which is all speculation.
Old 09-19-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another bell tolling the death nell of Fleabay... I hope Google still has plans to open an "auction" site soon.

-Gunshy
Old 09-19-06, 08:34 AM

Does this only apply to music? I mean technically, then shouldn't people not be allowed to sell Birth of a Nation?
Old 09-19-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunshy
Another bell tolling the death nell of Fleabay... I hope Google still has plans to open an "auction" site soon.

-Gunshy
Right. Only .0000001% of the population probably even know what black metal is and most of those probably hate it.
Old 09-19-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since that re-verifies the murder and arson, I'm assuming you're talking about the quote about how his outlook differs from nazism. To start with, he used to call himself a nazi, so the info I'd previously seen was outdated, but not entirely erroneous. Also, if you go to his autobiography on his website and read the quote in context, he says that his regret about using the word 'nazi' to define himself is that during WWII, German nazi's mistreated Slavs and he thinks Slavs are a-ok. What a stunning distinction.

If you like Burzum's music, more power to you. From what I can tell, Varg keeps his worldview out of the songs. Defending him as a person is kind of ridiculous though. After taking 10 minutes or so to skim his autobiography and some other writings, I have an even stronger impression that he's a totally worthless human being.
Sounds like he's really trying to go on the straight and narrow in prison though

In October 2003, Vikernes failed to return to his low-security prison in Tønsberg, Norway, after having been granted a short leave. Vikernes was apprehended by police after hijacking a car. He was found with an unloaded AG-3 assault rifle, 700 rounds of ammunition, a number of smaller weapons, a handheld GPS system, communications systems, a PC, military uniforms, a bullet proof vest, and camouflage clothes.
Old 09-19-06, 09:27 AM

I agree with you. Varg went from being a satanist to a nazi to an odalist. Looks like he keeps jumping on different bandwagons...but Burzum was BM only during his satanic period, he later changed to ambient/neo-classical during his NS/odalist phase (Daudi Baldrs album was all ambient).

Now what is offensive with 1349 or Emperor? I've heard worse on rap albums...and why haven't they banned Slayer (Angel of Death is about mengele) or Deicide (who have a strong anti-christian theme).

I hate nazis, but I will defend the right to free speech no matter how offensive it is.
Old 09-19-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trout

I hate nazis, but I will defend the right to free speech no matter how offensive it is.
And I will defend the right of a private company (eBay) to do business as they please and if they do not want this stuff listed on their site, so be it.
Old 09-19-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of Burzum's fanbase, I went to http://www.nsbm.com/groups/ and saw a huge Burzum banner ad sandwiched between ads for the National Alliance and "nazi.org"!

In truth, these bands make it a point to offend so many people and to be so controversial that this censorship request , if real, could be coming from a lot of places. It could be Christians, but it could also be anti-racists. Some of the bands on the list seem to be there from guilt-by-association (Emperor) but that's how these things work.

why haven't they banned Slayer (Angel of Death is about mengele)
Angel of Death was a call for Mengele to be arrested.

Last edited by dugan; 09-19-06 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-19-06, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by dugan
Speaking of Burzum's fanbase, I went to http://www.nsbm.com/groups/ and saw a huge Burzum banner ad sandwiched between ads for the National Alliance and "nazi.org"!
Along with ads for Earth First and the Earth Liberation Front...I always thought that they were more hippy/tree-hugger oriented.
Old 09-19-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wotanorden's new album is titled 'Aryan Culture Preservation' and from what I can tell, they're not being cheeky or ironic.

Zyklon B, well, the name of their band is taken from an insecticide used to kill Jews at Aushchwitz, so they've got that going for them.

All in all, I can't really bring myself to give a shit if ebay doesn't want to allow these types of assholes on their site. If the government was banning their music, I'd stick up for their right to voice their idiotic opinions via shitty music, but ebay's a private company and they're not obligated to allow anyone's stuff to be sold on their site.
Excellent post, and great points. Private companies can do whatever they want. Heck, even Wal*Mart refuses to sell CDs with a Parental Advisory label. And that is why I'll never buy a CD from there. But if that's what they want to do, more power to 'em.
Old 09-19-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

boy .. and here I thought Black Metal was metal music made by black people ... fooled me
Old 09-19-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
boy .. and here I thought Black Metal was metal music made by black people ... fooled me
hhahahahahhaha
Old 09-19-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by achau9598

?
Old 09-20-06, 06:17 AM
Banned

If I owned eBay I wouldn't sell these guys stuff either, I guess, now that I've read a little more into it. But I wouldn't sell "religious" junk either. It's all mind-twisting garbage, y'know.
Old 09-20-06, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred

?
Not metal, just really good hard rock.
Old 09-23-06, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think if eBay was really serious about getting rid of items that glorified violence they would be out of business the minute they completed the monumental task.