Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Paul Stanley - Live To Win 10/24!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Paul Stanley will be releasing his first solo album in 28 years on October 24th, and while my initial reaction was, "I'll bet this thing is a slick, poppy rock album," my current feeling from what I've read is that it's going to be a pretty darned impressive piece of melodic hard rock.

He had some interesting people work with him on the album including songwriting partners Desmond Child [Aerosmith, LeeAnn Rimes] and Holly Knight [Tina Turner, Pat Benatar], and introduces new collaborators including Andreas Carlsson [Bon Jovi, Britney Spears], John 5 [Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson] and Marti Frederiksen [Aerosmith, Faith Hill]. Seven of the ten tracks were co-written with Child and/or Carlsson, with Stanley and Child joined by John 5 on "Where Angels Dare" and Frederiksen on "Lift," and Knight teaming with the frontman on "It's Not Me."

Live to Win was self-produced by Stanley, who provides lead vocals, guitar and percussion alongside a core studio group consisting of guitarist Corky James [Avril Lavigne, The Matrix], drummer Victor Indrizzo [Beck, Macy Gray] and keyboardist Harry Sommerdahl [Carrie Underwood, Lindsay Lohan]. Also performing on the album are former KISS bandmate BRUCE KULICK (bass on 3 songs) and guitarist John 5.

It's an eclectic group of musicians that he brought in to work on the album, but from the comments that I've read from Bruce Kulick and others the album is really good - and not overly poppy. It's still got some ballsy rockers on it, despite some of the studio musicians' pop credentials. Paul's songwriting with KISS has kept many albums from becoming real disasters (Animalize comes to mind), and IMO he was always the songwriting talent in the band (Gene occasionally wrote some great songs, as did Ace, but the majority of the bands' best songs are Paul's).

Like I said, I've got a feeling it's going to be a really good album. We'll find out for sure in October.
Old 08-24-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Can't. Wait.

Honestly, if Paul does some ballads that would be really cool.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-24-06 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-24-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, you can count on at least 3 ballads on this album. Hopefully they're closer to "I Still Love You," than "Reason To Live," but I doubt it. Of course, if they're like "I Will Be There," that wouldn't be so bad, either.

I think the recent Bon Jovi albums may not be all that far off from what Paul does on this album - except hopefully Paul's rockers ROCK more than Bon Jovi...
Old 08-25-06, 06:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.kissonline.com/news/images/ps_web_splash.JPG

Wanna hear it, but HATE the cover.
Old 08-25-06, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From LOTW on the www.Metal-Rules.com message board:

First impressions:

~ A very modern-sounding album.
~ Lots of radio-friendly, hook-filled choruses thanks to co-writers (Desmond Child, Holly Knight, Marti Frederiksen and Andreas Carlsson).
~ NOT--I repeat--NOT metal.
~ Only one sappy ballad.
~ Very short - 10 songs @ 33 minutes .
~ A few KISS-worthy tracks but this is definitely a "solo" album.
~ "Live To Win," "Bulletproof," "All About You" and "Wake Up Screaming" are real standouts .
~ Kicks the ass of Gene's ASSHOLE album !
Old 08-25-06, 06:30 AM

PAUL STANLEY LIVE TO WIN

1. LIVE TO WIN 3:07
2. LIFT 4:01
3. WAKE UP SCREAMING 3:00
4. EVERYTIME I SEE YOU AROUND 3:28
5. BULLETPROOF 3:01
6. ALL ABOUT YOU 3:16
7. SECOND TO NONE 3:35
8. ITS NOT ME 3:19
9. LOVING YOU WITHOUT YOU NOW 3:16
10.WHERE ANGELS DARE 3:22

Produced by Paul Stanley
Engineered and recorded by Alex Gibson
Assisted by Tom Syrowski, Matt Serrecchio, Glenn Pittman, Jon Berkowitz and Kevin Mills
Additional Engineers Mark Valentine, assisted by Keith Gretlein. Kevin Mills, assisted by Phil Martin
Additional Recording Greg Collins
Mixed by Greg Collins
Recorded and mixed at Hensen Recording Studios
Mastered by Steve Marcussen/Marcussen Mastering

Paul Stanley- Lead vocals, background vocals, guitar, percussion

The Team:
Guitars Corky James, Brad Fernquist, John 5, Tommy Denander, Andreas Carlsson

Bass Corky James, Sean Hurley, Bruce Kulick

Drums Victor Indrizzo

Piano Greg Kurstin, Zac Rae

Keyboards and programming Harry Somerdahl
Additional keyboards and programming Russ Irwin

Background Vocals Andreas Carlsson, CC Whiteand a little John Shanks!

Strings on Every Time I See You Around, Second To None and Loving You Without You Now Arranged by Paul Stanley and David Campbell. Orchestrated and conducted by David Campbell.

Art Direction & Design: Tom Jermann/t42design
Photography: Neil Zlozower

1. LIVE TO WIN 3:07
Paul Stanley/Desmond Child/Andreas Carlsson

Corky James Guitars, Bass
Brad Fernquist Solo
Harry Sommerdahl Keyboards, Programming
Victor Indrizzo Drums

2. LIFT 4:01
Paul Stanley/Desmond Child/Marti Frederiksen

Corky James Guitars
Sean Hurley Bass
Victor Indrizzo Drums

3. WAKE UP SCREAMING 3:00
Paul Stanley/Desmond Child/Andreas Carlsson

Tommy Denander Guitars
Brad Fernquist Solo
Victor Indrizzo Drums

4. EVERY TIME I SEE YOU AROUND 3:28
Paul Stanley / Pete Masitti

Corky James Guitars
Brad Fernquist Solo
Bruce Kulick Bass
Russ Irwin Piano, Keyboards
Victor Indrizzo Drums

5. BULLETPROOF 3:01
Paul Stanley/Andreas Carlsson

Corky James Guitars
Andrea Carlsson Guitars
John 5 Solo
Sean Hurley Bass
Zac Rae Piano
Victor Indrizzo Drums
C.C. White and Andreas Carlsson Additional Background Vocals

6. ALL ABOUT YOU 3:16
Paul Stanley/Andreas Carlsson/Desmond Child

Brad Fernquist Guitars, Solo
Victor Indrizzo Drums

7. SECOND TO NONE 3:35
Paul Stanley/Andreas Carlsson

Corky James Guitars
Brad Fernquist Solo
Bruce Kulick Bass
Greg Kurstin Piano
Victor Indrizzo Drums

8. ITS NOT ME 3:19
Paul Stanley/Holly Knight/Charlie Midnight

Brad Fernquist Guitars, Solo
Russ Irwin Keyboards
Victor Indrizzo Drums

9. LOVING YOU WITHOUT YOU NOW 3:16
Paul Stanley

Corky James Guitars
Brad Fernquist Solo
Bruce Kulick Bass
Greg Kurstin Piano
Brian Steckler Keyboards
Victor Indrizzo Drums

10. WHERE ANGELS DARE 3:22
Paul Stanley/Desmond Child/John 5

John 5 Guitars, Solo
Sean Hurley Bass
C.C. White and John Shanks Additional Background Vocals
Old 08-25-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Paul's songwriting with KISS has kept many albums from becoming real disasters (Animalize comes to mind), and IMO he was always the songwriting talent in the band (Gene occasionally wrote some great songs, as did Ace, but the majority of the bands' best songs are Paul's).
You gotta remember that Animalize was right in the middle of Gene's failed movie career and his focus on the band and music was probably at its worst after Lick It Up. I don't disagree with you that it was probably one of Gene's worst contributions to a Kiss album but every Stanley song on that album was co-written with Desmond Child except one (which was co-written with Jean Beauvoir).

I also disagree with the use of the word majority for Paul. It seems pretty split when I look at it but then again it depends on each person's individual opinion of Kiss' best songs.

Another two albums that suffer the same fate are right after Animalize which is Crazy Nights and Hot In The Shade. Both of those are weak all the way around...both Gene and Paul songs. Gene seemed to be running on empty with the band until Revenge was released.

I admit that I am more of a Gene song fan that Stanley but I hope that Paul's solo release is better than Asshole...and I hope they change the cover art, quickly. At least it won't be as bad as Psycho Circus...nothing could beat that as the worst album of their career.
Old 08-25-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Criss Angel on the cover.

Old 08-25-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
You gotta remember that Animalize was right in the middle of Gene's failed movie career and his focus on the band and music was probably at its worst after Lick It Up. I don't disagree with you that it was probably one of Gene's worst contributions to a Kiss album but every Stanley song on that album was co-written with Desmond Child except one (which was co-written with Jean Beauvoir).

I also disagree with the use of the word majority for Paul. It seems pretty split when I look at it but then again it depends on each person's individual opinion of Kiss' best songs.

Another two albums that suffer the same fate are right after Animalize which is Crazy Nights and Hot In The Shade. Both of those are weak all the way around...both Gene and Paul songs. Gene seemed to be running on empty with the band until Revenge was released.

I admit that I am more of a Gene song fan that Stanley but I hope that Paul's solo release is better than Asshole...and I hope they change the cover art, quickly. At least it won't be as bad as Psycho Circus...nothing could beat that as the worst album of their career.
I've always been a fan of KISS, but in recent years I've looked at my favorite KISS songs, and they are 75% Paul Stanley songs ("Strutter," "Firehouse," "100,000 Years," "Hotter Than Hell," "Got To Choose," "Love Her All I Can," "Rock Bottom" (the intro was written by Ace, but Paul wrote the song), "Detroit Rock City," "I Want You," "Take Me," "Love Gun," "I Stole Your Love," "All American Man," "Creatures of the Night," "Exciter," "I've Had Enough," "Heaven's On Fire," "Under The Gun," "King of the Mountain," "Who Wants to be Lonely," "I'm Alive," "Tears Are Falling," "Heart of Chrome," etc, etc, etc).

Sure, there are several of Gene's songs that I love ("Deuce" [maybe my all time favorite KISS song], "Watchin' You," "She," "Goin' Blind," "All The Way," "Calling Dr Love," "Got Love For Sale," "War Machine," "Unholy," "Hate," etc) but the numbers are on Paul's side.

Gene's just not as disciplined a songwriter as Paul is. Paul is meticulous - he'll take as much time as is required to get a song perfected, Gene's more of a fast-food songwriter - fast and hot (not always good, though). When Gene's on, he's great. When he's not, well....

Like I said, I expect Live To Win to be a very good to great Rock album. I hope I'm right...

(And I like the cover - kind of a variation of the broken mirror cover for Crazy Nights, only this time it's a torn up picture that's been taped back together.)

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-25-06 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-25-06, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Hmm, this was leaked already, wow.

I'm about half though, and many of the songs remind me of 80s KISS. Very poppish, with a bit of an edge. The riffs are decent enough, but this could easily be 80s KISS.

Bulletproof = Let's put the X in Sex (the boo-boo-bulletproof, ugh)
Everytime I See You Around = Forever

My favorite so far is "Lift".

Edit: Finished the first listen and the title (for the most part) should be "Paul Stanley: Love Songs"

Last edited by The Cow; 08-25-06 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-27-06, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Sure, there are several of Gene's songs that I love ("Deuce" [maybe my all time favorite KISS song], "Watchin' You," "She," "Goin' Blind," "All The Way," "Calling Dr Love," "Got Love For Sale," "War Machine," "Unholy," "Hate," etc) but the numbers are on Paul's side.
I looked over my cds of every album and have to agree that Paul definitely wrote more songs and had more classic Kiss "hit" songs than Gene. Looking over their entire catalog, Paul has written a ton of songs and more than I realized!

But I do have to name off a few more for Gene that weren't mentioned: "Nothin' To Lose," "Ladies In Waiting," "Great Expectations," "Christine Sixteen," "Plaster Caster," "I," "Fits Like a Glove," & "Domino."

A couple of my Gene favorites that are album cuts that no one ever mentions are "Sweet Pain, "Almost Human," "Larger Than Life" (in my Top 5 all-time for Kiss), "Charisma, "Naked City," & "Mr. Blackwell."
Old 08-27-06, 02:41 AM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
For this album, it doesn't really matter who wrote what..

This one is all Paul (like I said before this could be 80s KISS, when Gene was a minor factor). And it's very love song stuff.
Old 08-27-06, 02:31 PM
Banned

Does anyone know where I can hear this in advance (even short preview clips, ala Amazon, would be fine)?

I'm really apprehensive about buying this unheard.
Old 08-28-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This album kicks ass.
Old 08-29-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Does anyone know where I can hear this in advance (even short preview clips, ala Amazon, would be fine)?

I'm really apprehensive about buying this unheard.
You can hear five of the albums tracks in 1 minute preview clips at MelodicRock.com .
Old 08-29-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man, you guys must be HUUUUGE fans of his...I am a decent fan of KISS, and have NOOOO interest in this....
Old 08-29-06, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Osiris
This album licks ass.

Corrected.

Sorry, folks. I've been a KISS fan since the 70's, and I hate this record. And I wanted to like it, I really did. I've waited for it for (what feels like) forever!

By the way, thanks Rocketdog2000 for the preview clip info! (You saved me about $14, man)
Old 08-29-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what you expected, zombie, but this is EXACTLY what I was expecting. Stuff like Nickelback, recent Bon Jovi, etc - hard edged pop-Rock, but nothing remotely Metal. It's Paul Stanley in 2006, not 1976, or 1986, or even 1996. It's a different time, and Paul has found current styles that he really likes and fits in with.

I think the songs are very well written and produced. It's not a KISS album - and that's the whole point. There will be one more KISS album in a couple of years, and on that one Paul can write KISS songs. This one is basically his 1978 solo album updated to 2006's Rock styles.

So far, I'm impressed with just how well written the songs are, how modern it sounds, and how natural Paul sounds doing that kind of material.
Old 08-30-06, 06:10 AM
Banned

I love his first solo album (1978). But it sounds like a well-produced KISS record, with slightly better playing by the musicians involved. It had a ballad or two as well, but... this new one's just not my cup of tea, I guess.
Old 08-30-06, 12:24 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Celtic Bob
~ "Live To Win," "Bulletproof," "All About You" and "Wake Up Screaming" are real standouts.
Interestingly, those are all the tracks co-penned by Andreas Carlsson.
Old 08-30-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=The Cow]Hmm, this was leaked already, wow.

I'm about half though, and many of the songs remind me of 80s KISS. Very poppish, with a bit of an edge. The riffs are decent enough, but this could easily be 80s KISS.

Sounds like i am going to love this, huge kiss fan since the 70's but there 80's material has always been my favorite.
Old 09-01-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Basically if you are a Kiss fan there is NO reason you will not like it. On the first run through I thought OK this is good. The second listen I thought OK this is great. I will purchase this when it comes out. ONLY small complaint is it could have used one less ballad and one more that kicks.
Old 09-03-06, 12:29 PM

I for one have been a KISS fan since their incarnation. I like both gene's work and paul's work. Yes i like paul's better though. This is not an ablum where he is trying to capture a KISS feel this album is more personal to him. Yes it still sounds like KISS because he is KISS. He did this album for himself and for the true paul stanley fans out there. if you dont like the album, you must not be a True Kiss fan. yes the Album does lack length when he could of added alot of the other tracks he had recorded. Maybe just maybe he is saving some for a future release. Their is plans also for a new KISS studio album. When? who knows. But rest assured its coming. As it pertains to Gene's studio album A**hole, it was all Gene. But you can see in the paul album that he put alot of effort into it. The album is Paul, No fancy guitar solo's and just makes the songs all great. cutting long guitar solo's does take alot of length away from the album, hey guitar solo's are for live concerts anyway. I have the album and It starts off strong with Live To Win and ends perfectly with where angels dare. All about you and loving you without you now, are awesome ballads. You dont get them like this anymore, so be thankful there is someone like Paul making them. In my book the album is a 10 all the way.
Old 09-03-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
From the samples on melody crock, it sounds pretty good. It's poppy, but it still sounds like 80's KISS to me. Could be tracks right off of Crazy Nights.
Old 09-03-06, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by steve97470
if you dont like the album, you must not be a True Kiss fan..

Yeah, right.

I must disagree with you there, steve-o.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.