Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beck: The Information - 10/03/06

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tracklisting:

1. Elevator Music
2. Think I'm In Love
3. Cell Phone's Dead
4. Nausea
5. Soldier Jane
6. Strange Apparition
7. Dark Star
8. Movie Theme
9. We Dance Alone
10. No Complaints
11. 1000 BPM
12. Motorcade
13. The Information
14. New Round
15. Horrible Fanfare/Landslide/Exoskeleton

from pitchforkmedia:

Beck Reveals Album Title, Release Date

If NME.com is to believed, the new Beck album is called The Information, and is out October 2 in the UK. We assume that means it's coming out a day later, October 3, in the U.S. on Interscope.

As previously reported, the disc was produced by Nigel Godrich, features the songs "Cell Phone's Dead", "Think I'm in Love", and "Nausea", comes with a blank cover and a sheet of stickers inside for you to make your own art, and is paired with a DVD of videos for each song.

Beck is currently on the road hitting the European festival circuit. NME reports that when he hits England's V Festivals on August 19 and 20, "He will be joined onstage by a group of puppets for his entire set."

Hell.

Yes.

Last edited by auto; 08-15-06 at 08:02 AM. Reason: added tracks
Old 08-08-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Stickers? How old does Beck think his fans are? 14?

Well that should kill pirating.
Old 08-08-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I hope it sounds like Midnite Vultures.
Old 08-08-06, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auto
the disc...comes with a blank cover and a sheet of stickers inside for you to make your own art,
DAMMIT...I was hoping for a Paint-By-Numbers.
Old 08-08-06, 04:51 PM

NME reports that when he hits England's V Festivals on August 19 and 20, "He will be joined onstage by a group of puppets for his entire set."
He's been doing the puppets thing on every date for a while.. saw him in Atlanta and it was such a cool show. Puppet stage is set up towards the rear, and has everything from the real stage reproduced in miniature. As Beck and band members roam around stage, the puppeteers mimic them on the small stage, down to even tiny mouths singing. They have stationary and handheld cams focused on the puppets and project it on huge screen behind all the action.. and even turn on a tiny screen on the puppet stage for some songs. It became really surreal at times... such as when beck was turned around, looking up at the big screen, and the puppet beck turned around looking at the puppet screen, and the video camera was shooting puppet beck and the small screen, which had the feed from the camera live on it, giving it the infinity effect. I felt like I was watching a Kaufmann movie (or Gondry video?)

OK re-reading my post, I have given myself a headache.. but I hope you get the point
Old 08-15-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from NME:

Beck has revealed the details and tracklisting of his new album.

'The Information', produced by Radiohead collaborator Nigel Godrich, will feature 15 tracks, including new single 'Cell Phone's Dead'.

The album will come with an additional DVD featuring videos for each song, Billboard.com reports. Several clips have been previously released via Beck's official website.

The full tracklisting is as follows:

'Elevator Music'
'Think I'm In Love'
'Cell Phone's Dead'
'Nausea'
'Soldier Jane'
'Strange Apparition'
'Dark Star'
'Movie Theme'
'We Dance Alone'
'No Complaints'
'1000 BPM'
'Motorcade'
'The Information'
'New Round'
'Horrible Fanfare/Landslide/Exoskeleton'

'The Information' is released on October 2, meanwhile Beck will perform at V Festival this weekend, playing Chelmsford's Hylands Park on August 19 and Staffordshire's Weston Park on August 20.
Old 08-15-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guero was OK but no classic. Also, with his increasing Scientology weirdness, I don't know how much more Beck I can take.
Old 08-15-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This should be a fantastic album, given the following pattern:

Mellow Gold
One Foot in the Grave
Odelay
Mutations
Midnite Vultures
Sea Change
Guero
The Information

The bold albums are his less poppy ones that don't get him radio play. Here's hoping the pattern continues.
Old 08-15-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus

Mellow Gold
One Foot in the Grave
Odelay
Mutations
Midnite Vultures
Sea Change
Guero
The Information

The bold albums are his less poppy ones that don't get him radio play. Here's hoping the pattern continues.
The problem is that my three favorite albums by him are Odelay, Mellow Gold and Midnite Vultures...
Old 08-15-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus

Mellow Gold
One Foot in the Grave
Odelay
Mutations
Midnite Vultures
Sea Change
Guero
The Information

Yeah you're right. Odelay was a misstep
Old 08-15-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked Guero, but it was the first Beck album to come out that didn't become my favorite beck album.

Now the dilema... do I download the album before it comes out? Generally I hate doing this. I get dissapointed because the leak normally isn't the same quality as the disc, and then it isn't as fun on release day... but I am going to be in Tahiti on release day and I don't know if I can wait two weeks.
Old 08-16-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The album will come with an additional DVD featuring videos for each song
will this one work?
Old 08-16-06, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mkdevo
will this one work?
I guess it depends on your player. The only problem I had (Toshiba 4800), was that on Girl, when all of the "subtitles" were on, it locked up a bit. That was the only time. I know a lot of people who have that Pioneer 563 had problems, but they seem to have problems with everything (dual disc especially).

If it has all of the videos on it, that's cool. The problem w/ Guero for me is, that there are now more videos from the album not on the SE, like Girl and a couple of others on his website. I hope that the album will be in Surround, hi-res or not, and not just a redbook CD w/ a dvd included. I wish Guerolito would have been released in Surround. I'm a sucker for remixes.
Old 08-16-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was a fan of Beck until the Odelay album. This I hated and could not stand seeing him do that same song over and over on every talk show. Since then, I don't know what his music has been like. I have 5 or 6 of his albums prior to Odelay and like them. Has what he's done since been like the early stuff or like Odelay? Thanks for any info.
Old 08-16-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by saoirse
I was a fan of Beck until the Odelay album. This I hated and could not stand seeing him do that same song over and over on every talk show. Since then, I don't know what his music has been like. I have 5 or 6 of his albums prior to Odelay and like them. Has what he's done since been like the early stuff or like Odelay? Thanks for any info.
I would guess that your are the polar opposite of most people here. His early albums were pretty good but he has done some amazing work since then. Stylistically, all over the place and quite unlike his early LPs.
Old 08-16-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by saoirse
Don't know if you've heard Sea Change but it's a totally different Beck and in my opinion a classic album. It was recorded after his breakup with his girlfriend and all the songs are pretty mellow classically structured pop songs (some with strings). Some songs sounds like Nick Drake, others like early Elton John. Nothing like his other albums. Highly recommend the SACD.
Old 08-16-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Awesome news, I didn't knoow he was coming out with a new one this year
Old 08-16-06, 08:25 PM
Banned

Beck's best album is One Foot in the Grave. His last 2 were horrible. Yet somehow, I still go see him live every chance I get...
Old 08-17-06, 12:15 AM

sea change horrible?
Old 08-17-06, 12:19 AM
Retired

Sea Change is probably my favorite of his.

But Beck fans do seem to be pretty split, and there seem to be few who like all his albums.
Old 08-17-06, 12:19 AM
Banned

Horrible from start to finish.
Old 08-17-06, 12:21 AM
Banned

Beck albums

Great:
One Foot in the Grave

Very Good:
Mutations
Odelay!
Midnite Vultures

Good/Average:
Mellow Gold
Stereopathetic Soul Manure

Complete crap:
Sea Change
Guero

Worse than Dream Theater:
Guerolito

IMO
Old 08-17-06, 12:23 AM
Banned

I'd settle for "The Information" being merely good.
Old 08-17-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks. Maybe I'll try trad for a few on lala.com
I was into him back in the early Ween days, where there were lots of comparisons, and I just stopped with Odelay, but I'd like to check out some of the ones mentioned (whatever is least like Odelay). Thanks again.
Old 08-17-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How you can consider Sea Change complete crap is beyond me. That is one of my favorite albums of all time, and i like it more every year.

Also, mellow gold is better than Good/Average.

I have been listening to beck for a long time. I even have 1 foot in the grave on vinyl, and I have NO idea how you can consider that his best work unless you are just trying to go against the crowd.

Also, I like guerolito, but that is just me. I understand how you could not like that one. Ever heard Deconstructing Beck? Now that is a bad album.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.