Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Where to start with Elvis Costello?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a good album to start with as someone who has never listened to any Elvis Costello? How would you rank his best albums?
Old 06-01-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't dug too far into his old albums yet, but "When I Was Cruel" & "Cruel Smile" are both excellent albums.
Old 06-01-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I'd try to borrow one from a friend or something. I saw him perform on some show (Leno or whatever) and thought it was decent, so whenever I heard him on the radio, or my XM I'd give it a good hard try.

But I've ultimately decided he's just not very enjoyable. I'm not being closeminded, XM has opened my ears to many new (to me) artists, but I just can't get into this guy.
Old 06-01-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think I would, as hard as it is for me to advocate such behavior, since Elvis C is a real hit or miss for likability (see milo's post): get the greatest hits. In particular, see if you can get ahold of Rhino's The Very Best of Elvis Costello.

If you like what you hear, branch out into his earlier albums, starting with Armed Forces and My Aim Is True.

-ringding-
Old 06-01-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go with Armed Forces. Great collection of songs.
Old 06-01-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority but I'd start at the beginning. His first few albums are great. In particular, This Year's Model.
Old 06-01-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
His first few albums are fantastic. I'm very partial to "Get Happy!", but most of his early work is top notch. After the intial stages I would suggest "King Of America" which veers into a slight rock/country sound... slam dunk recording. Honestly, I really wouldn't start with his later albums. They are good, but not quite up to par with his early work.

Having said that, you can't go wrong at all with his Very Best collection. It's nothing but solid all the way through and ranks up there with The Cure's "Staring At The Sea: Singles" and Squeeze's "Singles 45 And Under" as indespensible music.
Old 06-01-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
But I've ultimately decided he's just not very enjoyable.
Elvis Costello is one of the most important rock artists of the late 20th century. He has recorded at least a half dozen essential albums, namely:

My Aim is True
This Years Model
Armed Forces
Trust
Imperial Bedroom
King of America
Old 06-01-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by auto
I guess I'm in the minority but I'd start at the beginning. His first few albums are great. In particular, This Year's Model.
I agree. Start at the beginning ("My Aim is True" & "This Years Model"). If you don't dig these, there's no need to go further.
Old 06-01-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I also say start at the beginning. I did and I'm a better man for it.
Old 06-01-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Outside of The Cars, My Aim is True is for my money the single best artist debut on record.

No better place to start...
Old 06-01-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a best of album. I only like a few of his songs, but really enjoy Oliver's Army, Radio Radio, and Pump it Up.

There are other songs I can listen to, but I have to really be in the mood for Elvis Costello.
Old 06-02-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a huge EC fan, I have seen him 4 times in the past 15 months. Once at the Ryman, in Chastain Park in Atlanta, 2 times he headlined the Opry. Do not get the Rhino 2 disc greatest hits, they will only cause you to go out and by the studio albums. Here is where I would start with his CDs.

1. Armed Forces-Paranoid and mean but with beautiful melodies. Best songs-Two Little Hitlers, Oliver's Army, Green Shirt
2. Blood and Chocolate-So pissed off and hurt it does not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I Hope Your Happy Now, Blue Chair, I Want You (one of the creepiest songs ever written)
3. My Aim is True-A great debut album with songs from country rock to tin pan alley pop, could not categorize him so they called him punk. Red Shoes, Waiting for the end of the World, Alison
4. Get Happy-R & B on crystal meth. I Cant Stand Up for Falling Down, Riot Act, High Fidelity
5. King of America-Recorded without the Attractions goes to root music, many guests include T Bone Burnett & David Hidalgo. Suit of Lights, I'll Wear It Proudly, Indoor Fireworks
6. This Years Model-First with the Attractions. Pump It Up, Lipstick Vogue, I Dont to Go to Chelsea
7. Almost Blue-country covers from Merle Haggard & George Jones. Tonight the Bottle Let me Down, Psycho, Sittin and Thinkin
8. Imperial Bedroom-Would record with Burt Bachrach 15 years later. Man Out of Time, Almost Blue
9. The Delivery Man-Going down to the roadhouse bar in the sticks of Mississippi. Bedlam, The Scarlet Tide
10. All This Useless Beauty-Still pissed 18 years after his 1st album. Complicated Shadows, All This Useless Beauty

That is just the start, there are many great singles available on Itunes or other digital service. Download Episode of Blonde, When I Was Cruel No. 2, Deep Dark Truthful Mirror, Veronica, Everyday I Write the Book, Clubland, New Lace Sleeves, I Almost Had a Weakness, Clown Strike, So Like Candy, The Other Side of Summer.

His setlist will consist of 32 songs with about 6 covers. He could pick another 32 songs out of his catalog and the show would still be as good. Then he could pick out another 32 songs and still have a great concert.
Old 06-02-06, 07:23 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Start at the beginning. Work your way forward. Yes, Goodbye Cruel World sucks, but then things gets better with King of America and Blood and Chocolate.

Originally Posted by cungar
Elvis Costello is one of the most important rock artists of the late 20th century.
Word.
Old 06-02-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's my sequence:
1. Armed Forces: his first genuine pop album. A masterpiece.
2. The Year's Model: more punk with lots of keyboards. My favorite of his albums.
3. My Aim Is True: a classic, every song is good. More singer-songwriter than the above two albums, but has variety.
4. Get Happy: amped up "party album".
5. Imperial Bedroom: practically defines "mature pop record", Costello's bid for "serious" recognition.
6. Trust: every song is different in approach but they all work, yet another classic.

After that, everything else is negotiable. But those six albums are some of the best ever made, IMO.
Old 06-02-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I am a huge fan also and some of my faves aren't among his most popular and some of his most popular aren't among my faves. My top tier of EC albums is:

Brutal Youth
Armed Forces
This Year's Model
When I Was Cruel
King Of America
Trust
The Delivery Man
Painted From Memory

Next tier:
Spike
Blood And Chocolate
Almost Blue
Imperial Bedroom

Next:
My Aim Is True
Get Happy
All This Useless Beauty
Juliet Letters

Bottom tier:
Kojak Variety
Punch The Clock
Goodbye Cruel World
Mighty Like A Rose

And then there are few other albums such as North, My Flame Burns Blue (excellent) and Cruel Smile (This an odds and sods album and not a good place to start), and Piano Jazz.

I would definitely just pick up the Rhino Best Of with the green and yellow cover as that will give you a good overview.

As with any artist that has been around this long and tries to experiment as much as Elvis, there is going to be some bad along the way (see my bottom tier above), but I can appreciate the effort and at least they aren't making the same album over and over.
Old 06-02-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you were to try out one original album, I'd recommend "This Year's Model" as well.

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I would definitely just pick up the Rhino Best Of with the green and yellow cover as that will give you a good overview.
This is also a great recommendation for starters!
Old 06-02-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
Elvis Costello is one of the most important rock artists of the late 20th century. He has recorded at least a half dozen essential albums, namely:
You'll notice my original post did not bash him in any way. There are a lot of artists I can appreciate as being influential and groundbreaking, but I just don't find myself sitting down and listening to them. I knew Costello has a huge following, that's why I've tried to give him a chance, but I just don't dig him. Nothing that I heard was "bad" per se, just not my thing.
Old 06-02-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
You'll notice my original post did not bash him in any way. There are a lot of artists I can appreciate as being influential and groundbreaking, but I just don't find myself sitting down and listening to them. I knew Costello has a huge following, that's why I've tried to give him a chance, but I just don't dig him. Nothing that I heard was "bad" per se, just not my thing.
I'm with you. I don't particularly like the Beatles or Dylan, but can appreciate them all the same.
Old 06-02-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EC has a new album out on June 6th "The River in Reverse" recorded with Allen Toussant. It is supposedly the first album recorded in New Orleans after Katrina. If you look at his performances the past few years they are truly diverse. Playing w/ Toussant, the Edge, and Bruce Springsteen at this years Grammies. Also playing with Springsteen, Stephan Van Zandt in a tribute to Joe Strummer. He has recorded with the Brodsky Quartet, played the Opry with Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch, and David Rawlings, and has a cd with Burt Bachrach. On the 2nd episode of House he did a cover of Christine Aguilara's "Beautiful" He has written what is becoming the protest song of the 21st century with "The Scarlet Tide"

If you listen to music in any way chances are you have come across his writings/recordings.
Old 06-03-06, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I recommend his first 3 albums: "My Aim Is True," "This Year's Model," and "Armed Forces."

Those are 3 of the greatest albums of all time.

Everything else that he did is boring in comparison.
Old 06-03-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I'd go with Armed Forces. Great collection of songs.

Or check out Get Happy!...........