Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Muse Supermassive Black Hole single released

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Muse Supermassive Black Hole single released

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 08:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought it at Amazon (shipped today). I'm impatient, but a little birdy told me that there are these things out there called mp3s. Not that I would condone that sort of thing

BTW, the more I listen to it, the more I like it. Supermassive Black Hole is definitely the low-point of the CD, but the rest is damn good.
Old 07-12-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Guys - make sure you pick up the Limited Edition version with the Live @ Glastonburry concert on it - it's worth $20 alone - awesome awesome concert! Even though I have the R2 dvd of it, I still got this one just to have an NTSC verson of it.
Ditto. The NTSC version was a welcomed addition.
Old 07-13-06, 10:03 AM

I agree. The Glastonbury show is great. I like the new album too, more and more with each listen.
Old 07-13-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent disc. I bought the deluxe edition and really enjoyed the quality of the DVD, too. Highly recommended. Kind of late news, but they are doing an in-store appearance this Friday at the Virgin Megastore in Hollywood. The catch: you have to purchase the CD at the store and will be given 'access' to return on Friday for the event. I'm sure there is a limited number of guests and they may already be gone, but wanted to pass the word. If I had known sooner, I would've given it a shot. I believe it starts around 7:30.
Old 07-13-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supermassive Black Hole is the only track on the album that sucks.

Everything else is damn good. I enjoy the latter half of the album (more specifically the last six tracks) a lot more than the former half.
Old 07-13-06, 09:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Agreed, but track 2 and 4 are pretty damn solid songs. Knights of Cydonia may be my new favorite Muse song.
Old 07-14-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I just totally dig the sound. Like a David Bowe, Radiohead mash-up or something.
Yep, with a touch of Queen and a hint of Depeche Mode(Map Of The Problematique)

On the whole, not a bad album at all.
Old 07-14-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Stoney
Agreed, but track 2 and 4 are pretty damn solid songs. Knights of Cydonia may be my new favorite Muse song.
Old 07-16-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
In case it hasn't been noted, there's two hidden tracks on the DVD "Thoughts of a Dying Athiest" and "Endlessly". To access them, click on "extras", then click on the "X" or "T" within "Extras" printed to the left where it has "Muse" "Extras" "Sold Out". That gives me live versions of all of my "must have" tunes from Absolution. Picked this up at Best Buy for $9.99, which makes this the deal of the year music wise for me.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 07-16-06 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-16-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm don't expect musicians to hide their political feelings, but man, they could have toned things down just a TAD in "take a bow."

it's too bad, it's a pretty cool song otherwise.
Old 07-17-06, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Supermassive Black Hole is the only track on the album that sucks.

Everything else is damn good. I enjoy the latter half of the album (more specifically the last six tracks) a lot more than the former half.
I agree, why 'Supermassive Black Hole' was the album's first UK single release is beyond me, I wouldn't say it sucks, it's just the weakest song of the album. I have to disagree with you though on the first half of the album - I love 'Starlight' and 'Map Of The Problematique' (my favourite song). 'Knights Of Cydonia' ending the album is perfect.

Fave album of the year, by far.
Old 07-17-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guess I'm not understanding the hate for SBH. I think the whole CD is great, though, and I'm also really digging the single. I hope they come back for more live shows soon as I missed out on tickets for their upcoming show next week. Can't wait to hear how the new material translates to the stage.
Old 07-17-06, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jippy
I hope they come back for more live shows soon as I missed out on tickets for their upcoming show next week. Can't wait to hear how the new material translates to the stage.

funny you should mention the live shows - I'm still livid that Washington DC is NOT a stop of the current N.American tour - what f**kin' gives?!
Old 07-17-06, 02:40 PM

to any fan who goes to the upcoming shows - a listing here of the show's setlist would be much appreciated.
Old 07-17-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been listening to this since last Tuesday. At first I was a bit disappointed, just didn't seem to have the right sound that I was looking for. But after several listens its really growing on me. I like the SBH single too, think its a quality track.
Old 07-17-06, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jeraden
I've been listening to this since last Tuesday. At first I was a bit disappointed, just didn't seem to have the right sound that I was looking for. But after several listens its really growing on me. I like the SBH single too, think its a quality track.
but I think that's what so fascinating about this album - all the songs seem to take risks and sound completely different - it's a ballsy album that's inventive, melodic, intense and memorable.
Old 07-18-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
funny you should mention the live shows - I'm still livid that Washington DC is NOT a stop of the current N.American tour - what f**kin' gives?!

Giles, the current N. American tour is only a handful of cities. They'll be back, don't you worry. I just hope they don't play the stinkin' 930 Club again. They should be at the Warner Theater or Constitution Hall. Even though the latter doesn't have the best acoustics. I'm talking about size. Anyway, I'm heading up to Philly to see them on 8/4.
Old 07-19-06, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's the MUSE set from last night in San Francisco.

Knights of Cydonia
Hysteria
Map of the Problematique
Supermassive Black Hole
Citizen Erased
Soldiers Poem
Starlight
Plug In Baby
Invincible
Butterflies and Hurricanes
Bliss
City of Delusion
Stockholm Syndrome
-------
Take A Bow
Time Is Running Out
New Born
Old 07-19-06, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Giles, the current N. American tour is only a handful of cities. They'll be back, don't you worry. I just hope they don't play the stinkin' 930 Club again. They should be at the Warner Theater or Constitution Hall. Even though the latter doesn't have the best acoustics. I'm talking about size. Anyway, I'm heading up to Philly to see them on 8/4.
From what I remember the back balcony seats at the Warner are a mile away from the stage, and I agree Constitution has less than stellar acoustics. It's a shame that Nation closed since that was a better venue than the 9:30 - oh well,
Old 07-19-06, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pillowhead
Here's the MUSE set from last night in San Francisco.

Knights of Cydonia
Hysteria
Map of the Problematique
Supermassive Black Hole
Citizen Erased
Soldiers Poem
Starlight
Plug In Baby
Invincible
Butterflies and Hurricanes
Bliss
City of Delusion
Stockholm Syndrome
-------
Take A Bow
Time Is Running Out
New Born
oh and thanks Pillowhead
Old 07-19-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
From what I remember the back balcony seats at the Warner are a mile away from the stage, and I agree Constitution has less than stellar acoustics. It's a shame that Nation closed since that was a better venue than the 9:30 - oh well,
Yeah, not a fan of the Warner Theater balcony. Everything is, thumbs up. Where else could they play in D.C.? Lisner? Not a bad place to see a show. I watch their concert DVD that came with the new album, in front of what looks like it could be 100,000-150,000 people and yet I'm talking about a venue that holds 2000 or so here in the U.S.
Old 07-19-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been listening to this album pretty much none stop since it released and I have to say its a pretty amazing cd. I at first didn't really dig SBH, but now I love it and think its one of the stronger songs on the cd. The only song I don't much care for is Soldier's Poem, its only o.k. for me. The rest is friggin' great.
Old 07-20-06, 11:57 AM

NME reports the next single off of the album is 'Starlight' (why does this not surprise me - it's the band's most radio friendly pop song) - the singles comes out Sept 4th in the UK.
Old 07-20-06, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Yeah, not a fan of the Warner Theater balcony. Everything is, thumbs up. Where else could they play in D.C.? Lisner? Not a bad place to see a show. I watch their concert DVD that came with the new album, in front of what looks like it could be 100,000-150,000 people and yet I'm talking about a venue that holds 2000 or so here in the U.S.
since I have yet to watch the DVD, I would assume the indoor venue that would hold that many people would be Earls Court in London - that place is VAST. The other venues listed on the DVD sleeve are Top Cats in Cleveland, Brick by Brick in San Diego and the Wiltern Theater in Lost Angeles.

Interestingly, my first 'live' show for Muse was at the now closed Metro on 14th Street here in DC, talk about a teeny tiny venue - Muse was electrifying and threatened to cave in the ceiling, literally.

If American University held more concerts at Bender Arena that would be great place to see them, a perfect large venue where I saw Soundgarden a number of years back.
Old 07-20-06, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I decided to go back and listed to all my Muse CDs. I cannot understand why this band is not huge. They are incredible. Anyway, YMMV, but below is my "Essential Muse Collection" (I create personal greatest hits for my car, I'm well above 50 now).

Feel free to debate. Keep in mind that I limit the CDs to 80 minutes (obviously)

1. Apocolypse Please
2. Sunburn
3. SBH
4. Yes Please
5. Stockholm Syndrome
6. Showbiz
7. Dead Star
8. Ashamed
9. Hysteria
10. Muscle Museum
11. Starlight
12. Citizen Erased
13. The Small Print
14. Cave
15. Invincible
16. In Your World
17. Time is Running Out
18. Futurism
19. Feeling Good

I try and pick really fitting opening and begining songs for the collection and cycle through albums for the order, so whatever degree fits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.