Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you store your vinyl record collection on edge or other way?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I store my vinyl right now in crates with the opening on top so that I could just flip through and remove them without taking out the entire cover, but I still have some records that slightly warp.

Is storing them like this better for them?:

Old 05-05-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I store mine the same way, so I'm not sure. I'd rather have [more of] the weight on the sleeve than the wax itself (like you've got them) than piled on top of each other.......unless there's a third way.
Old 05-05-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i know a good rule of thumb is to not stack them flat, so i do the same as you. as long as there isn't too much pressure leaning in any which direction, or next to a heat source, i think they're fine...
Old 05-05-06, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've always been told that stacking them flat causes them to warp due to the massive weight of a high stack. I keep them on edge at all times.
Old 05-06-06, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I stack 'em just like yours.
Old 05-06-06, 11:35 AM

Same. Don't think i've ever seen it done any other way so we're probably doin alright.
Old 12-02-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 652 Likes on 474 Posts
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
I store my vinyl right now in crates with the opening on top so that I could just flip through and remove them without taking out the entire cover, but I still have some records that slightly warp.
If you can "flip through" them in crates they probably have too much lean for safety. You want them to be as vertical as possible but not have so much pressure from adjoining disks that it's difficult for one to be removed. In other words... don't pack 'em in too tight. You also don't want too much "lean" as this, too, can cause warpage.

In your 1st photo most are leaning a bit too much for long term safety. The top row of the 2nd photo is much better.

Here are some basic guidlines for storing vinyl records:

1. Upright (on edge), specifically NOT leaning.
2. Away from heat sources.
3. Away from Bright light sources, particularily sunlight.
4. In a cool dry place.
5. With the inside sleeve turned at right angles to the outer (you should have to remove the inner sleeve to get to the record)
6. Preferably in a closed cupboard or box to reduce dust

For a shelf that isn't full use a piece of 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" x 1/8" (or thicker) plywood, paper board, glass, or other "stiff" product on the "open" end to provide full support. Fill the empty shelf space with books or other heavy material to keep the records upright.

Always handle a record by the edges. To remove the record from the inner sleeve you should slightly open the sleeve, insert your hand placing the middle finger on the spindle hole, your thumb on the edge and slide the record out of the sleeve.