Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Joan Jett CD in June

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Joan Jett CD in June

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Wow. that's a nice pic. Lita's stuff was cool and I actually liked her duet with Ozzy.
Old 05-06-06, 02:16 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got the advance copy from her website. The sound varies from song to song quite terribly. Her cover of Sweet's bi-sexual anthem A.C.D.C is really cool.
Old 05-09-06, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffDoeXXX
Just got the advance copy from her website. The sound varies from song to song quite terribly. Her cover of Sweet's bi-sexual anthem A.C.D.C is really cool.
I received mine last night. ACDC and Change the World kick ass! I love the new version of "Naked". Yeah, I noticed "Five" sounded muffled or something. Hopefully that will be fixed before the official release as it is a great song.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 05-09-06 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 04:37 PM
Cool New Member

I didn't care for CHANGE THE WORLD at all.
Old 06-06-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One more week

Old 06-06-06, 02:44 PM
Cool New Member

It's not that great, and I guess there were bonus tracks promised but now none are on it. Nice strategy.
Old 06-06-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JeffDoeXXX
It's not that great, and I guess there were bonus tracks promised but now none are on it. Nice strategy.
Are you the same JeffDoeXXX from Joan's website?

Well, to each his/her own. I really dig the tunes on "Sinner". It's cool to see Joan back in the spotlight and have a new album released in the US.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 06-06-06 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 05:19 PM
Cool New Member

In the spotlight? Um, ok.
Old 06-07-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool pic of Joan with The Gits

Old 06-12-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS – SINNER
by Jaan Uhelszki

JOAN JETT has always brought a danger and fierceness to rock 'n' roll. But with "SINNER," her first studio record in six years, the female punk avatar goes far beyond the seditious '70s shag and bad attitude to break new musical and lyrical ground. Jett has spent 30 years showing the world that she can rock as hard as the guys, but here she's decided to show what's underneath that nervy impudence. While still straddling her guitar and channeling her beloved rock gods on punk anthems like "Change the World" and the Bush-trouncing "Riddles," she's cracked open the backstage door and given fans a peek at her personal life. An expected vulnerability and emotional candidness creep into songs like "Bad Time" and "Watersign." More startling is the exposure of a vein of doomed romanticism and vulnerability. It's probably the most dangerous thing Jett's ever done.

JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS – SINNER
by TS

On her first studio release with the BLACKHEARTS in over a decade, Jett’s trademark meaty riffs, raspy vocals, and exuberant tempos once again serve notice that her vaunted love for rock & roll is in no danger of flagging. Thankfully, she continues to resist any impulse to futz with her formula. Aside from a lackluster cover of the Replacements’ "Androgynous," SINNER’s a winner, full of tracks brimming with sass, grit, and totally ambrosial power-pop harmonies. I’m thinking canonization – or at least a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nomination. (Yup, she’s eligible.) A-

Music Briefs: JOAN JETT
by Farkleberries: Chicago style culture warbloggery

JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS' first new US album release in over a decade, SINNER, hits the stores June 6th (06-06-06, get it? Ha, ha.). With a few alterations and the omission of some tracks, the album is almost identical to the 2004 import-only CD Naked that received critical praise for Joan's expansion of her musical ambit - and fan complaints, for its high import-only ($30+) retail price. The change of name was probably a good move. The Talking Heads released a none-too-stellar late career album in 1988 also called Naked, that featured a painting of a chimpanzee in a similar cover pose as Joan's on her album called Naked. Not that people would generally confuse Joan with a chimpanzee, but "JOAN JETT - SINNER!" is a better culture war ralling cry than "JOAN JETT - Naked!" No? Well, at least I thought so.

SINNER is less about adolescent bird-flipping The Man than a thoughtful, centered effort by a artist who has grown from rebellious teen into a solid legend who needs no excuses; by contrast, in the 1982 Bad Reputation video, Joan getting collar-tossed from a bar by a burly bearded bouncer (followed by a silent-film slide that reads, "We don't want your kind in here!") comes across today as something like playing the victim. The early 80's Teenaged Joan the Misfit Rebel and 90's Liza-Minnelli-as-Glam-Biker Joan have given way to a Joan comfortable in her own skin as androgynously sexy maiden-mother-crone, simultaneously young and old, with all its implications of masculine/feminine energy intertwined. SINNER's lyrics are a sea change, a glasnost of sorts addressing politics and vulnerability in a way Jett's earlier music only hinted at. In that sense, SINNER is nothing if not refreshingly humanist.

Tracks to focus on are the the openly political "Riddles," a raunchy cruncher (which appeared on an earlier eponymous limited-edition EP) called "Fetish," "Five," a confessional indie-raga rocker, and the unexpectedly lush ballad "Watersign" - but the breakout single is Joan's playfully lecherous take on The Sweet's "AC-DC," that's generating a crackling internet buzz about her video starring Carmen Electra, that - how shall I put this - "kicks open the closet door" for Joan. Maybe she is playing with us after all, but teasing the fans by getting down with the former Baywatch Babe is cleanly calculated to make this one Big in Japan...and maybe elsewhere. Tongues will wag. Stay tuned.

.....and some people don't dig it:

National CD Reviews
JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS - SINNER
by Brady Gunnell

"Gotta change the world!" howls JOAN JETT on track six of her latest album. SINNER, the first studio album in over ten years from Jett and her BLACKHEARTS sets opens with a highly politicized message and catchy hook. Unfortunately, that is really where the novelty ends. Aside from Jett’s increasingly gritty voice and the Orwellian anti-Bush opener, this album sounds like it could have been scooped up directly from 1985. The BLACKHEARTS are back with what they do best, rock, but it just doesn’t go much further. For some, this may very well be a blessing. It means more straightforward, accessible rock from an iconic front-woman whom is staying true to her roots. To others, this album could be plain boring. To me it lacks the vitality of the younger Jett, as on 1981’s seminal album. Here she sounds as if she has found a template, the music is mechanical as is her voice. On "Fetish" the band gets closer to doing something sonically interesting with their brand of three-chord guitar rock. And then she loses me when she sings about pounding some ass. This is the kind of music that should be reserved for listening to after five beers at a grungy bar. So, prepare yourself, and go see JOAN JETT and BLACKHEARTS on this years Warped Tour.
Old 06-12-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So is this out yet? I couldn't find it anywhere last week.
Old 06-12-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
So is this out yet? I couldn't find it anywhere last week.
I believe it was released online last week. It will be in stores tomorrow 6/13/06
Old 06-12-06, 08:09 PM
Cool New Member

jett

A store here in Ohio which I get cds a few days early DID NOT get it and said his distributor did not know when he would receive it. Being that it is on Blackheart Records and not a major label, it could take a few extra days/a week to trickle down. Reportedly the 2 bonus tracks that were promised are a video of Joan and her manager/svengali recording ACDC in the studio and the bonus song KISS ON THE LIPS which was also on the NAKED cd from 2004. Enjoy...if you can find it.
Old 06-13-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got back from Tower where I purchased one.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 06-13-06 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I just got back from Tower where I purchased one.
Yeah, but for how much? Was it on "sale" for "$17.99"?
Old 06-13-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Yeah, but for how much? Was it on "sale" for "$17.99"?
Yeah, that's what I paid. Tower can be high. I usually go to the indie store but it's further away.
Old 06-14-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$9.99 at FYE, which I'll admit was a bit surprising. They had about 10 copies on hand, too. Picked mine up today, but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet.
Old 06-14-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Yeah, that's what I paid. Tower can be high. I usually go to the indie store but it's further away.
I do the same thing sometimes. With the price of gas these days, it's sometimes not worth the further travel to save $5 on a CD.

I just find it funny that Tower thinks a "sale price" is $17.99!!!

Well off to FYE!
Old 06-15-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
$9.99 at FYE, which I'll admit was a bit surprising. They had about 10 copies on hand, too. Picked mine up today, but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet.
Good deal! I'm jealous!

Crank it up!
Old 06-19-06, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This CD is very good.
Old 06-19-06, 03:54 AM
Cool New Member

Well, no bonus tracks as were promised. There is "bonys enhanced material" which is less than 2 minutes of Jett recording ACDC in the studio.
Old 06-21-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris
This CD is very good.
Glad you like it!
Old 06-21-06, 08:42 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Does this sound at all like her classic early 80s material? Or is it closer to her 90s "riot grrrl" stuff? I'm talking strictly about the music, not the lyrical content.
Old 06-21-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DRG
Does this sound at all like her classic early 80s material? Or is it closer to her 90s "riot grrrl" stuff? I'm talking strictly about the music, not the lyrical content.
DRG: It's a good mix of her early 1980s type tunes ("Naked", "A.C.D.C.") and more riot grrrl songs ("Fetish", "Five").