Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best 50s & 60s Box Sets, Comps, & Series?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-24-06, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a good way to build a library of those 50s and 60s hits that are repeated over and over on the oldies station. I'm mainly looking for the 1-, 2-, and 3-hit wonders from this time period - I've got plenty of Beatles, Elvis, Ray Charles, Buddy Holly, Rolling Stones, etc.

What various box sets or compilation series are out there that would give me good coverage?
Old 04-24-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is pretty broad, I was going to say the original Nuggets boxed set, but that might be a little more obscure than what you're looking for. Do you want mainstream hits? Rock or R+B? Also, most classic rock stations and lots of oldies stations play mostly stuff from the 70s, are they out?
Old 04-24-06, 02:14 PM

Mainstream - the Top 40 Rock / R&B stuff: The Coasters, Del Vikings, Big Bopper, Bill Haley, "Yakity Yak", Leslie Gore, "Do You Love Me", "Shout", "Crimson & Clover" etc.

Nuggets would definately be too obscure for this. A good example is the Motown "Hitsville" box set - that's something I plan on picking up (I also already have the Atlantic R&B boxset). Obviously that's limited to only one label, but those are the types of songs I'm looking for.

Basically, if you tune to your local "Oldies" FM station - those songs. I remember having a 4 cassette box I bought off of TV back in the 80s that had 100 songs. I was hoping Rhino had put out one of their massive 7-disc sets like they have with the 80s and 90s, but it doesn't seem that they have.
Old 04-24-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Check out the Billboard Rock and Roll Hits collections. They're fairly inexpensive, and a nice starting point for what you're looking for. You can buy them by year, or in five-year box sets (check out the 57-61 and 62-65 sets).
Old 04-24-06, 05:16 PM

Holy Hell. This sucker's pretty big:

TimeLife Rock N Roll: The Legendary Years Ultimate 14 CD Set

Anyone purchased this one yet? It looks like Ringo may be hawking these late at night - anyone know what channel it might be on? Haven't gotton a chance to "analyze" the tracklisting yet, but I'll be breaking out my Excel spreadsheet skills tonight to compare this one with these others I've found this afternoon. Any opinions that anyone has on any of the below is appreciated.

Rock, Rhythm & Doo Wop, Vol 1 (Rhino)

Doo Wop Box (Rhino)

Loud, Fast & Out of Control (Rhino)

Golden Era of Rock 'n' Roll: 1954-1963 (Hip-O)
Old 04-24-06, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I agree tha the "Hitsville USA Motown 1959-1971" 4 CD set is an excellent set. I think it's out of print, but it sold a lot of copies, and many used ones should be availble.

There's a fantasitc 12 song multiartist compilation CD called "Rock And Roll The Early Day." It's out of print, too. But it has Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Big Mama Thornton, etc.
Old 04-25-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
A big for this one. I got it years ago, and it's one of the best all-around compilations from that era. Very few blah songs, and plenty of awesome rock & roll.