Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 cancel rest of world tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumour had it Edge's daughter had cancer I believe, but I don't know if it was ever verified. Anyone know why the tour have been cancelled?

SYDNEY, Australia - Irish rock band U2 on Thursday announced it was postponing its tour dates in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Hawaii later this month and in early April.

In a statement, the tour promoter said the decision was unavoidable "due to the illness of an immediate family member of one of the band."

"Any fan of U2 will realize that this decision has not been taken lightly," promoter Arthur Fogel said in the statement. "We will announce further details as soon as we have them."

The statement gave no details of the nature of the illness or the band member whose relative was sick. The promoter could not immediately be contacted for further comment.

U2 was scheduled to play Auckland on March 17 and 18, before kicking off the Australian leg of its "Vertigo" world tour in Brisbane on March 21, followed by Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney. The band was scheduled to play in Yokohama on April 4 and in Honolulu on April 8.

Tickets for U2's concert at Aloha Stadium went on sale in January and sold out within an hour, stadium officials said.

It was the fastest-selling concert in stadium history, Aloha Stadium spokesman Patrick Leonard said at the time.

Some fans slept at Aloha Stadium to get the best seats. Tickets ranged from $50 to $165.

The Michael Jackson concert in 1997 sold out in four hours
Old 03-09-06, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definitely feel for them. I hope the fans are understanding enough to know that this is serious.
Old 03-09-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't like U2 at all, but man, that sucks. Sounds pretty bad. Hopefully everything will be ok.
Old 03-09-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure fans will be understanding. I hope everything works out OK...never like to hear about anyone with a serious illness.

MATT
Old 03-09-06, 11:58 AM

Good grief they're still on tour? Dayum.

And this isn't the first time a show was postponed due to family illness right? It was pretty recent and rumor back then also mentioned Edge's daughter.
Old 03-09-06, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
At least we know this

The Michael Jackson concert in 1997 sold out in four hours
Old 03-09-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw them in Ottawa, and would love to see them again anywhere anytime.
Old 03-09-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Good grief they're still on tour? Dayum.

And this isn't the first time a show was postponed due to family illness right? It was pretty recent and rumor back then also mentioned Edge's daughter.
They delayed the start of this tour, from the March 1, 2005 (in Miami, FL) date to the March 28, 2005 (in San Diego, CA) because of "a family illness". (Edge's Daughter, Sian...most likely)
Old 03-10-06, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The thread title says the tour has been canceled, but the story says the dates have been postponed. Which is it?
Old 03-10-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The thread title says the tour has been canceled, but the story says the dates have been postponed. Which is it?
I'm pretty sure it's onluy postponed. Of course, the outcome of the situation could force the dates to be cancelled. My guess is the postponement came first in the hopes that things can be put back on track in a short period of time.
Old 03-10-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I pasted the article title in the subject, but the article seems to say postponement.
Old 03-10-06, 12:10 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
It's again strongly rumoured that Sian, Edge's girl is not doing well.
Old 03-10-06, 12:14 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Air New Zealand Comes To The Aid Of U2 Fans
Thursday, 9 March 2006, 5:02 pm
Press Release: Air New Zealand
9 March 2006
Air New Zealand Comes To The Aid Of U2 Fans

Air New Zealand announced today it would lend a helping hand to U2 fans inconvenienced by the unexpected postponement of the band's New Zealand concerts later this month.

Group General Manager Marketing, Network and Sales Norm Thompson said the concerts had generated massive interest from customers and he had significant empathy for those who had booked non-refundable tickets to fly to Auckland to see one of the greatest bands of all time.

"We will ensure that concert ticket holders who have booked non refundable fares on our services to fly to Auckland for the concert have the opportunity to transfer their fare to one of the same class once a new concert date is announced by the promoter. In addition the airline will waive its change fees," Mr Thompson said.

Mr Thompson said customers affected should visit their local Air New Zealand Travel Centre or booking agent with their concert tickets and E ticket prior to the date of their flight to change their booking. In the event that the concerts were cancelled, customers who did visit their Travel Centre or booking agent would have their tickets held in credit for 12 months.

"Due to the high popularity of the concerts we expect there will be considerable demand from customers wanting to change their non refundable fares. Unfortunately, not everyone will be successful in booking seats on the flight they want. Therefore, some customers may have to pay the difference between the cost of their non refundable fare and the next fare class available."
Old 03-12-06, 01:17 PM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best wishes to the band and their families. They all seem like decent people and I feel for them.
Old 03-12-06, 04:08 PM
Banned

I heartily agree; they've done a lot of good in their time, and made a lot of people incredibly happy with their music, and their political causes. No one deserves to have a sick child. No one.
Old 03-12-06, 04:53 PM

Sounds like bad news.

A lot of shit has been thrown at U2 (Bono in particular) in recent years for their alleged pomposity and over-promoting charity causes. They shoudn't take shit from the public now, since tragedy has struck a loved one.

Let's hope all the U2 members and their famillies pull through this crisis.