Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rick Rubin to produce new Metallica Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rick Rubin to produce new Metallica Album

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by db27
This is why I love music!! Those are 2 of the songs I like the best of MOP, though I feel it's damn near perfect.

I would argue that RTL, though I love it has "Escape" and "Trapped Under Ice" which I think really suck nuts.

LOL! We'll we must be opposites, because I happen to think "Trapped Under Ice" is one of the best songs off RTL and I love "Escape" (I still remember Lars' interview in Kick Ass Monthly where he said he hated "Escape" and they just wrote it to get on the radio and that they would never ever do anything like that again)
Old 12-27-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
LOL! We'll we must be opposites, because I happen to think "Trapped Under Ice" is one of the best songs off RTL and I love "Escape" (I still remember Lars' interview in Kick Ass Monthly where he said he hated "Escape" and they just wrote it to get on the radio and that they would never ever do anything like that again)

haha, interestingly enough as much as I don't like the song as a whole the lyrics to escape appear next to my senior picture in my high school yearbook! "out for my own, out to be free....."
Old 12-29-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
The February 2008 issue of Guitar World magazine features an extensive interview with METALLICA guitarist Kirk Hammett about the group's forthcoming album — the band's first collaboration with producer Rick Rubin (SYSTEM OF A DOWN, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, AUDIOSLAVE, SLAYER) following a split with longtime collaborator Bob Rock. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

Guitar World: After 16 years and six albums with Bob Rock as your producer, how did you select Rick Rubin to produce this one?

Kirk: We knew that we needed to go down a different avenue. And it seemed like whenever I mentioned to people that we'd started writing another album, they would say, "You gotta get Rick Rubin." And we'd been considering that ourselves anyway. We've known Rick since 1986 when [SLAYER's] "Reign in Blood" came out. I can remember Rick showing up backstage at a "Master of Puppets" show and he had the master tape to "Reign in Blood". We were thinking, "Oh, wow, he has the new SLAYER album. We gotta hear it." And I remember once we heard it, we were just like, "Holy crap, that's the best thing we've ever heard."

Guitar World: Was the basic songwriting process different from the past? Or is that always kind of the same?

Kirk: We used an approach that was the same as "St. Anger", in the sense that we'd all show up and jam on songs. The seeds for the songs on this new album came out of jams that we would have on the road, before we'd go onstage. We have this thing called "the tune-up room" at our shows. It's usually a really small room with a drum kit, two guitar amps, a bass amp, a P.A. that's never loud enough and ProTools set-up. One of us would come in with a riff and we'd jam on it. James [Hetfield, guitar/vocals] was always the first one in the tuning room, so often he'd be fiddling with a riff when the rest of us came in.

And we would do this every time we had a show. So at the end of the tour we had over 50 hours of music. It was insane. We went through all of it, trying to narrow it down, which was a horrible process for me, because I think everything we play is great. So I wasn't any help. I let the other guys pick the riffs. Once all the major riffs were picked, we started jamming on them and turning them into songs. After about a year's time, we had 22 songs. We just refined it from there.

Guitar World: At what point did Rick enter the process?

Kirk: Right around the point where we had 22 songs. We had a lot of meetings with him. He listened to the songs we had written up to then, and he liked what he heard. "Yeah, keep working on those songs. Keep making them better." Eventually we had a vote on the 14 strongest songs. From there, we pretty much focused on those songs and worked on them with Rick. We were constantly tweaking the songs on this album. Even when we were recording the drum tracks, we were still tweaking.

To read the entire interview, pick up the February 2008 issue of Guitar World magazine, available on newsstands now.

ROADRUNNERRECORDS.com
Old 12-29-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have a scanner, and the respective websites are piles of crap when it comes to posting material, but both Revolver Magazine and Blender Magazine have their 2008 Music Preview editions out.

Metallica is mentioned in both magazines as having their as yet untitled disc coming out in the Spring of 2008.

Lars Ullrich is actually briefly interviewed in Revolver, and he says two things of note:
- The next time you hear from the band, it will be with legit details on the album, no more vague previews.
- While the sound doesn't fit any particular category, Lars says that the band very much has been influenced by their mindset and style during the 80s. Not one particular album, but just what they were thinking of when they were creating And Justice For All, Master of Puppets, and more.

Ullrich does joke that he doesn't want to give an exact description or influence because people will hear it and think something different or hear something different and say, "What the fuck, Lars lied to us again!"

So. Yeah.

Metallica officially in early 2008.
taken from the METALLICA forum
Old 12-30-07, 03:18 AM

God I hope its nothing like St. Anger...
Old 01-03-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

trapped and escape are my 2 fav songs on the cd.
Old 01-10-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

excerpts from the Metallica roundtable discussion in the new So What Club mag:

-Lars says Rick Rubin is very subtle, and they never had big conversations about where to record. Sound City is legendary for many great records. Rick wanted them to not think about the fundamentals of recording, but to just go in a room, the four of them, and record. To just go out and do it.

-They went with Sound City w/o much plans/thought, because its Rubin's comfort zone.

-Rubin is very hands off...prefers to let them do their own thing and not hinder the process by providing too much input. When he does comment, he is too the point. More about how he wanted them to get back into the "hungry" phase of RTL or MOP. They talk more about that return to the classic "headspace".

-Lars said this is not a retro record, but thinking back to how they'd have done stuff in '85 has surely helped and influenced the songwriting strongly.

-James talks about how Rubin wanted them to go back to standard A-440 tuning....talks about how they dropped down half a step for the black album tour to survive three years and help w/ the vocals, and then kept it. Kirk says that riffs are much tighter because of this.

-It's not St. Anger, it's not Load, and it's not Reload. They're not using any bluesy sounding stuff on this record.

-Rubin is not like Bob in the sense that he won't compromise between something Lars or James likes. He will say choose one and tell them to stick with it. Polar opposite of Bob.

-In one of these "pepsi challenges" as the band calls it(where Rubin had to choose between an A or a B version of something), Rick replied: "the worst thing i've ever heard in my life, and it makes me want to kill myself".

-The band is recording 14 songs(i know this was in the video)...and the songs that don't make the album will be used for iTunes...japanese b-sides...etc.

-James alone is handling lyrics for this album. At the time of the roundtable Jame's says that they're pretty much done and that he's really happy with most of them. He also says that some are not up to snuff yet, so he's interested in having Rubin's input to drive him to the next level. Jame's said hes up to the challenge and wants them to be the best they can be.

-No release date...just a sometime in '08. They haven't even talked about a release date, or anything like that w/ management. I figure by now(since this roundtable was conducted in October)that they've discussed this atleast somewhat...

-They compare and contrast what has changed since the group therapy...how thats affected the recording process...etc.

That's it guys. I know alot of people are going to be disappointed, and i can't say i'm not. I was at least hoping for some more input in terms of song titles, the actual riffs, lyrical topics...etc...but there is none to be found. Had they conducted a round table today, and posted it online or something, i feel we'd have a lot more to be excited about. My mind drifts back to the first So What magazine i ever received...the round table discussion that was conducted just before St. Anger came out. That one was done by a fan if i recall right, and was much more informative. Oh well...it was still a great read, and i'm sure u guys will enjoy it too. Now to read the rest of the mag...
taken from the Metallica forum
Old 01-11-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Off topic but I just found it funny

Stopped by the Metallica Wikipedia page earlier today and everything was fine. I clicked on something and when I cam back I found this as the main page.

Edit - sorry for it being so small but I can't figure out how to make it bigger

Last edited by sauce07; 01-11-08 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
It might have been hacked
Old 01-11-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Everything is still sounding good to me, although I was fooled when St. Anger was announced, so I take most of this info with a grain of salt. I trust that if anyone can steer them back on track, it's Rubin.
Old 01-12-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well musically, St Anger WAS a return to the old days. Longer songs, tempo changes, etc... The only thing different was that there were no guitar solos, the lyrics were very sub-par, and the production was just pure crap, ruining the whole album.

One thing that always gets overlooked when talking about the "old days" is how great the lyrics were. If you analyze "For Whom The Bell Tolls", you'll see it has almost every single poetic device in it (paradox, alliteration, allusion and/or whatever...) I wonder if James designed the lyrics like that on purpose.
Old 01-12-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Well musically, St Anger WAS a return to the old days. Longer songs, tempo changes, etc... The only thing different was that there were no guitar solos, the lyrics were very sub-par, and the production was just pure crap, ruining the whole album.

One thing that always gets overlooked when talking about the "old days" is how great the lyrics were. If you analyze "For Whom The Bell Tolls", you'll see it has almost every single poetic device in it (paradox, alliteration, allusion and/or whatever...) I wonder if James designed the lyrics like that on purpose.
The problem with the tempo changes on St. Anger was that it sounded like song snippets were thrown into the air and the songs were reassembled in the pattern in which they fell in a Stravinsky-esc manner. There was no cohesion to the songs and everything sounded sloppy.
Instead of hook-rich, cliché-ridden pleas to party girls, Hetfield writes punklike lyrics that rage at death, drugs, war, conformity, pollution, and any authority figure who comes to mind. Some subjects, including satanism ("an ideological crutch," says Hammett) and love, are taboo. Asked if he'll ever write a love song, Hetfield says, "Yeah, about beer." As Los Angeles Times writer Jonathan Gold put it, "When Metallica sings about a guy trapped under ice, they're not alluding to the existential hopelessness of the human condition. They're really singing about a guy trapped under ice. It's kind of refreshing."
Dougherty, Steve, and Alexander Connock. "Metallica, Unapologetic Avatars of Transuranic Metal, Find Success in a Spandex, Moussed-up World." People Magazine 1988, pp.73-76.

I liked how the lyric changed from, "I can't believe the price you pay" to "I can't believe the price we pay" in "...And Justice for All." James wrote smart lyrics in the past; hopefully we will see a return to that style with the new album.
Old 01-12-08, 07:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
There simply wasn't one song on St Anger that you wanted to sing along with and that is why it was a piece of shit. Production wise it could have been recorded on somebody's hand held tape recorder and as long as the song's kick ass people will like it. Yeah the snare drum was annoying but you can use a plastic bucket as a drum and as long as the song's rock then the song's rock.

The bottom line is that I think everyone here just want's an album that is at least better then everything they did after "justice". but let's not get our hope's up that they will ever return to how they were in there glory days because if you want a band that kick's ass you need a bunch of single guy's who want to drink beer, fight and fuck groupies. You don't want a band that consist's of married men with kid's who go on the Jane Pauly show and shoot a documentary with a therapist. THAT IS NOT METAL! END OF STORY!
Old 01-12-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by MANBREASTS
There simply wasn't one song on St Anger that you wanted to sing along with
I remember singing along to the song St. Anger once, but I was in a very dark place at the time. Not exactly "sing along with Mitch and the gang" stuff.
Old 01-13-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
I remember singing along to the song St. Anger once, but I was in a very dark place at the time. Not exactly "sing along with Mitch and the gang" stuff.
Not for nothing, but I'm not quite sure any Metallica song is fit for a proper singaling with the kiddies.

What I always admired about their songs, and their albums, is the refrain from cursing. Either James was told to omit curse words, or he simply didn't write them in his songs. When he's in concert, however, he talks like a sailor.

The great thing about Metallica is that you can play their music in the car with the kid in the back, and not worry about affecting him. No curse words make mommy happy, so she can't ban me from playing them.

...and you know what, Jason? I'll bet, by golly, I could get a singaling going with junior in the rear. Metallica rulez!!
Old 01-13-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
What I always admired about their songs, and their albums, is the refrain from cursing. Either James was told to omit curse words, or he simply didn't write them in his songs. When he's in concert, however, he talks like a sailor.
I always liked that as well. But then, I also like Load and ReLoad.
Old 01-14-08, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
I always liked that as well. But then, I also like Load and ReLoad.
There is some swearing in songs. Mainly whiplash from the Kill Em All, the cover song 'so what' from garage inc, and 'dyers eve' from And Justice For All. Also swearing in songs wasn't that common back in the early to mid 80's. Hell, even though all of the Slayer albums have the pa sticker, both reign in blood and seasons of the abyss only use the f word once per album, while the newer stuff has much more.
Old 01-14-08, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The bottom line is that I think everyone here just want's an album that is at least better then everything they did after "justice". but let's not get our hope's up that they will ever return to how they were in there glory days because if you want a band that kick's ass you need a bunch of single guy's who want to drink beer, fight and fuck groupies. You don't want a band that consist's of married men with kid's who go on the Jane Pauly show and shoot a documentary with a therapist. THAT IS NOT METAL! END OF STORY!
AGREED 100%
Old 01-14-08, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There simply wasn't one song on St Anger that you wanted to sing along with and that is why it was a piece of shit. Production wise it could have been recorded on somebody's hand held tape recorder and as long as the song's kick ass people will like it. Yeah the snare drum was annoying but you can use a plastic bucket as a drum and as long as the song's rock then the song's rock.

Production sucked on Anger, I totally agree. But I dig a bunch of the songs, especially live or on the bonus dvd. My only hope for the new album is we get something more complete then Anger. To me it was rushed, and felt like a work in progress or a long therapy session.

I personally like how they have evolved, and think we could still get a great record from them. It doesn't matter how old they are, who they fuck, what they drink, or how many kids they have. What matters is whether or not they still have something to say. IMO. I'm not interested in hearing the same old shit, I'm looking for something new, complex, and thought provoking. I still really dig the majority of Load and Reload as I did when they came out, and I didn't jump on the sell out campaign with the black album. Which, though most long haired trapped in the 80's metalheads dismiss as crap. Though it was overproduced, the polar opposite of Anger, I think songs like Misery, The God that Failed, Holier than thou, and Of wolf and Man are fucking masterpieces. We've all heard Sandman enough, but that song is still genius.

Anyway, long morning ramble from me. I always like reading this thread to see what peeps are thinkin, and figured I'd add my 2 cents. I'm really looking forward to this, as I was with Anger and I can finally admit that overall I was disappointed in the long run with that, I can understand that not everything works, and give them kudos for trying something new.

Heres hoping this album hits us this year at some point, and I would sure dig a US tour!
Old 01-14-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by db27
Production sucked on Anger, I totally agree. But I dig a bunch of the songs, especially live or on the bonus dvd. My only hope for the new album is we get something more complete then Anger. To me it was rushed, and felt like a work in progress or a long therapy session.

I personally like how they have evolved, and think we could still get a great record from them. It doesn't matter how old they are, who they fuck, what they drink, or how many kids they have. What matters is whether or not they still have something to say. IMO. I'm not interested in hearing the same old shit, I'm looking for something new, complex, and thought provoking. I still really dig the majority of Load and Reload as I did when they came out, and I didn't jump on the sell out campaign with the black album. Which, though most long haired trapped in the 80's metalheads dismiss as crap. Though it was overproduced, the polar opposite of Anger, I think songs like Misery, The God that Failed, Holier than thou, and Of wolf and Man are fucking masterpieces. We've all heard Sandman enough, but that song is still genius.

Anyway, long morning ramble from me. I always like reading this thread to see what peeps are thinkin, and figured I'd add my 2 cents. I'm really looking forward to this, as I was with Anger and I can finally admit that overall I was disappointed in the long run with that, I can understand that not everything works, and give them kudos for trying something new.

Heres hoping this album hits us this year at some point, and I would sure dig a US tour!
I welcome u're 2 cents, 'cause it saves me from telling everyone to Fuck Off! . I don't mind people opinions but sometimes they come off as idiotic and I wonder why the fuck do they even care for someone [Metallica] they think are dead or not relevant... [Bitch please!]

I'd say May/June for new album and, maybe some dates in the US around after July.
Old 01-15-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
I think the album kicks ass.I can hear plenty of aggression that so many say is not there.As for the plastic bucket drums....as I have said before, other bands used it before St. Anger and well after it.I hear no shit talk about those artists choice in the matter.To name a few.... TOOL, KORN, SOUNDGARDEN, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE ...

So we want posers like Poison, Warrent, and all the other cliché crap that bands use to "BE METAL" ?
NO THANKS!
Old 01-15-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VHS?
I think the album kicks ass.I can hear plenty of aggression that so many say is not there.As for the plastic bucket drums....as I have said before, other bands used it before St. Anger and well after it.I hear no shit talk about those artists choice in the matter.To name a few.... TOOL, KORN, SOUNDGARDEN, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE ...
Yeah, but not like Metallica did. And not for a whole album. Not only was it completely annoying, it was the loudest instrument in the mix!!!
Old 01-25-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

METALLICA's Management: New Album 'Will Be Out When It's Ready'

A representative for METALLICA's management has responded to a report on StereoWarning.com which claimed that "sources from the band's record label" have said that the group's new album has "been delayed again" to a September release. The representative told The Pulse of Radio that the disc has not been "delayed" since there "has never been an actual release date." As for when the record was likely to surface, the representative said, "It will be out when it's ready.

"METALLICA began working on its ninth studio album in 2006. Since then the group has taken its time to write and record the new disc, but drummer Lars Ulrich told The Pulse of Radio it isn't hard to stay inspired even 25 years into the band's career. "I don't use the word 'career,' 'hunger,' I use more words like 'fun,'" he said. "As long as we keep it fun for ourselves and keep it kind of manageable, the days of the word 'career' and the business and, I don't know, it just seems kind of part of the past. Now it's just about, like, having fun and wanting to do it. You know, as long as it doesn't turn into too much work, it's not hard to be inspired.

"METALLICA has been recording the new album with producer Rick Rubin after ending a 15-year collaboration with Bob Rock.

The new METALLICA CD will follow up 2003's controversial "St. Anger".

As late as last October, Ulrich said in interviews that he expected the new album to arrive in February of 2008.

METALLICA has booked a number of European festival appearances starting in late May, although it has yet to schedule any North American dates.

BLABBERMOUTH.com
Old 01-26-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out in the fall.
Old 02-01-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Hopefully you all know by now, the boys will be heading back to Europe this summer... Just a friendly 'heads up' that a few more shows are coming your way as we're getting ready to announce dates on the second part of their summer vacation. Most of these shows will have pre-sales for Clubbers only, so keep watching MetClub for more details. As for you Americans who have been having a good moan, we'll have a little something for you next week. No more hints for now..."

[email sent to Metallica Club members] taken from the Metallica Forum

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.