Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Yet another "greatest solo" poll

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think Comfortably Numb is the best solo but that's my opinion. But this was an on-line poll so anyway i just thought i'd share this.http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems...estyle&Topic=0
Old 01-17-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Meh. All of those songs are rock radio staples. How about digging a little beneath the surface.
Old 01-17-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Billy Currie's ARP Odyssey solo during Gary Numan's live rendition of "On Broadway". A synth solo in a New Wave version of a soul classic that can actually bring tears to your eyes. Now that's something.
Old 01-17-06, 11:41 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Horrible list.
Old 01-17-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Horrible list.
Agreed.
Old 01-17-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Horrible list.

Well the Hendrix, Clapton and Page solos ARE well-deserved. No need to diss them because they are 'common knowledge' - there should be nothing wrong with that.

I am sure everyone can pick there own obscurities that they go back to again and again. Mine are
1) Phil Manzanera's guitar break in Roxy Music's "Amazona"
2) Mick Garson's piano in Bowie's "Aladdin Sane"
3) Steve Winwood in Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy"

to name a few.....
Old 01-17-06, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frank Zappa didn't even make the list! Those schmucks could have taken any solo off of "Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar" or Act III of "Joe's Garage," and it would be way better than the "Stairway to Heaven" solo. Bah! To hell with them!
Old 01-17-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes a very pedestrian, predictable list.

Kirk Hammett should never ever be on a "greatest solo" list. He is a mediocre lead player at best.

I could name 10 Solos by George Lynch that are better than almost anything on that list.
Same can be said for Tony Macalpine, Gary Moore, Zappa ,Brett Garsed, Greg Howe, Al Dimeola, Reb Beach, Warren Dimartini, SRV, Vinnie Moore, Greg Howe, TJ Helmerich, Eric Johnson, Steve Lukather, Ronnie Le Tekro, Satriani, Vai etc....the list goes on and on and on.
Old 01-18-06, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
The list sucks, all lists like it suck, and there will always be a vast number of people who will say they suck. Why? Because they're based on opinions, and everyone has different opinions. For a poll as shallow as this, they probably went to shitkicker bars and stoner dorms and took down the first thing that rattled off the slobs' tongues. The thing is, after giving an answer like "Stairway To Heaven", someone probably said something like "wait a second...I really like Steve Vai's 'For The Love Of God' better," and they were told "sorry, one answer only." Nobody wants to print anything people will question, or, heaven forbid, be enticed to go out and discover for themselves. Gotta stick with the standards. Gotta cater to the mindless dupes who will read the list (or at least the words they can comprehend) and yell "WOOOOO!!! SKYNYRD!!!"

Another case for "fuck the media".

Last edited by The_Infidel; 01-18-06 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-18-06, 08:18 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by JANK
Well the Hendrix, Clapton and Page solos ARE well-deserved. No need to diss them because they are 'common knowledge' - there should be nothing wrong with that.

I am sure everyone can pick there own obscurities that they go back to again and again. Mine are
1) Phil Manzanera's guitar break in Roxy Music's "Amazona"
2) Mick Garson's piano in Bowie's "Aladdin Sane"
3) Steve Winwood in Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy"

to name a few.....
I don't diss them because they are common knowledge, I diss them because I don't like them. I could easily go my whole life without hearing Clapton or Page and feel none the poorer. I'm not a big fan of blues-based rock solos, which is why I prefer players like Fripp, Verlaine, Quine, and Manazanera. (Great choice, BTW)
Old 01-18-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
I don't diss them because they are common knowledge, I diss them because I don't like them. I could easily go my whole life without hearing Clapton or Page and feel none the poorer. I'm not a big fan of blues-based rock solos, which is why I prefer players like Fripp, Verlaine, Quine, and Manazanera. (Great choice, BTW)

OK, I hear ya, although I have great respect for Clapton (early) and Page (early) and if your not into blues-based rock solos - I understand.

Since you mentioned the Great Fripp, how about his sensational solo during the awesome bridge of King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man"?

That piece ALWAYS gets my attention and still thrills me. Check it out!!

ANOTHER (albeit blues-based (heh)) solos is Robin Trower's "Too Rolling Stoned" -- Definitely in MY top 10.