Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Guitar action adjustment....

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have decided to get brave and lower the action on my Martin acoustic by sanding the bottom of the drop in saddle. This will be my first attempt at such a thing.

My question for the guitar players here is what distance from the fret board do you recommmend on an acoustic guitar for the best playability without creating consequences for the sound?
Old 01-15-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I would highly recommend against this. the truss rod won't make the necessary adjustment? The problem with what you are thinking is that you make make the action too low on some of the frets, which is worse than high action.

This is best served by a professional. If you insist, at least get this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...lance&n=283155
Old 01-15-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was thinking that messing with the truss rod would be riskier but it seems I'm on the wrong track. I'm not aware of a luthier in this area so I was figuring I'd have a go. I should probably wait and do some more research before deciding what to do.
Old 01-15-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

whatever you do....DON'T SAND IT....please....if you don't know what your doing with a truss rod, leave it alone as well...pay the guy at the guitar shop 30 bucks to do it....its a lot less expensive than a new martin
Old 01-15-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by nazz
I was thinking that messing with the truss rod would be riskier but it seems I'm on the wrong track. I'm not aware of a luthier in this area so I was figuring I'd have a go. I should probably wait and do some more research before deciding what to do.
Actually, the sanding would be FAR riskier.

Buy the book I recommended. it's the bible for DIY guitar repair. best $20 you'll ever spend.
Old 01-15-06, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
whatever you do....DON'T SAND IT....please....if you don't know what your doing with a truss rod, leave it alone as well...pay the guy at the guitar shop 30 bucks to do it....its a lot less expensive than a new martin
I thought he was asking about sanding the saddle! If so, then the worst that can happen is your action will be too low and you'd need to buy a new saddle. No?

Of course the truss rod should not be altered unless you have some idea of what you're doing.
Old 01-16-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yep...i read that wrong...i read fretboard and sand and freaked out before i could do anything else...i still wouldn't sand it...not the best way to do it...and learning the rights & wrongs of adjusting a truss rod is not something you need to learn with a Martin. take it to the shop.

when i worked in a guitar shop, i saw way to many guitars beat up by DIY jobs...let a pro handle it
Old 01-17-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the advice guys. I was nervous before, but now I'm totally convinced I don't want to try this myself. I was thinking the worse case scenerio would be I'd have to order a new saddle but I think I'll take the popular advice and wait for a pro. Even though that book looks very helpful I'm too gun shy at this point.