Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk / MusicTalk's Best of 2005 - As Voted by You

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

DVDTalk / MusicTalk's Best of 2005 - As Voted by You

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own 10 and want a few more . Good list.
Old 01-03-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heh, I've got 8 from the list (3 of which were in my top 15)... but that's out of 112 CDs that I bought this past year, so there goes my average!
Old 01-03-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's my top 7:

Animal Collective - Feels
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Ry Cooder - Chavez Ravine
Feist - Let It Die
Deerhoof - The Runner's Four
Wilderness - Wilderness

Disappointments:

Beck - Guero
Boards of Canada - Campfire Headphase
Old 01-03-06, 08:20 PM

I have 13 albums on the list and I love it overall. The Bloc Party album is a winner, but I still think Sufjan is the best of the year.

+Danny
Old 01-03-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Even though I didn't participate, I have few qualms with the tally. That Bloc Party album does get better with every listen.

(It's still not as good as the Spoon album, though... )

I agree, which is why I had Spoon at #5, and Bloc Party at #9 on my personal list.
Old 01-04-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own 1 from this list. Though I must admit I did buy System of a Down's Hypnotize which is pretty good. Also, no Fiona Apple? That album is probably my favorite of this year.
Old 01-05-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Damn I feel old, other than Priest and NIN I don't recognize anything from that list!!!
Well, I don't feel quite so bad then.. I was going to say that I've only ever heard of like 11 from that list. And I've probably only ever heard 4 or so of those! But, I don't feel old.
Old 01-05-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally got a chance to check this out. Very cool.

Great job Bus!!!
Old 01-05-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see an official Top 10 thread, so I guess this is the place

Haven't really heard enough to make a full top 10

01- Sleater-Kinney - The Woods
02- Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
03- Exodus - Shovel Headed Kill Machine
04- Neil Diamond - 12 Songs
05- Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny of Souls
06- Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
07- Trisha Yearwood - Jasper County
08- Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution

Biggest letdown - Garbage - Bleed Like Me
Old 01-05-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. MIA- Arular- unbelievably inventive, fun to dance to and sexy as hell. Album of the year, IMO.
2. The Mars Volta- Frances the Mute- like an insanely complicated pocket watch. Really dense and compressed but works perfectly.
3. Wolf Parade- Apologies to the Queen Mary- the definitive guitar post-punk album of 2005, IMO.
4. Minotaur Shock- Maritime- great synth-pop album, on constant repeat in my car.
5. Gorillaz- Demon Days- too much has been said about this fantastic album already.
6. Maximo Park- A Certain Trigger- the definitive post-punk/pop/Brit guitar album of 2005, I also love the singer's Scottish accent.
7. Saint Etienne- Tales from Turnpike House- This is the second best album (the best being "So Tough") ever made by one of my favorite bands, don't miss it.
8. LCD Soundsystem- S/T- like dumping an indie rock doofus hipster's head out onto vinyl. Instant classic.
9. White Stripes- Get Behind Me Satan- my third favorite Stripes album and that's saying a lot.
10. DangerDoom- Mouse and Mask- skits that work, great twisted rhymes, great beats and not an ounce of fat.
11. Bloc Party- Silent Alarm- the second best Brit guitar album of the year, IMO.
12. Doves- Some Cities- The Doves deliver yet another great album, this one approaches the masterpiece that is "The Last Broadcast".
13. Sufjan Stevens- Illinois- the best psychedelic pop album of the last few years not involving past or current members of Flaming Lips.
14. Spoon- Gimme Fiction- Spoon's second best album. Currently on repeat while I run.
15. Quasimoto- The Further Adventures of Lord Quas- this is a seriously fucked up hip hop album, but I love it and it works. madlib is the shit.
16. Erasure- Nightbird- totally underrated album by these guys. This may be their best album ever and no one noticed.
17. The Go! Team- Thunder, Lightning, Strike!- like a follow-up to the Avalanche's masterpiece. Sunny, funky, lo-fi rollerskating jams.
18. Ladytron- Witching Hour- seriously cold and cool synthpop record.
19. Low- The Great Destroyer- Low continues to deliver classic slowcore, this is one of their best albums.
20. M83- Before the Dawn Takes Us- I actually am starting to prefer this one to "Dead Cities..." "Don't save Us from the Flames" is one of the best songs of the year, IMO.
21. Meshuggah- Catch Thirty Three- this is one seriously fucked-up "metal" album, I'm not even sure it is metal. It's the apogee of Mesuggah's prog tendencies and they've created an absolutely unique album. This one is very intriguing.
22. My Morning Jacket- Z- My Morning Jacket finally makes a consistent, tight album. I liked a lot of their earlier stuff, but they always snuck in a few duff tracks, not on this one. Gives Spoon a run for it's money as the best rootsy/indie release this year.
23. Opeth- Ghost Reveries- Second best Opeth album (after Morningrise and before Blackwater Park). They sound great with the improved production budget and delivered a terrific set of songs. Best metal band in the world?
24. Sigur Ros- Takk- Jesus friggen Christ, I'm sick of singing these guys' praises, but they keep delivering A quality albums. This is a "return to form" from their already excellent "()" to the stratospheric heights of the "Ajeatus bisdbiwebfbwoue" (sp?) album.
25. The Kills- No Wow- a slightly scarier White Stripes. They remind me of Royal Trux at their junky/sexy height. This is a serious dark horse of an album, don't miss it.

Almost made the cut:
Kaiser Chiefs
Annie
Living Things
The Magic Numbers
The Subways
System of a Down
The Transplants
Wir Sind Helden

Last edited by Hiro11; 01-06-06 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-05-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
3. Wolf Parade- Apologies to the Queen Mary- the definitive guitar post-punk album of 2005, IMO.
9. White Stripes- Get Behind Me Satan- my third favorite Stripes album and that's saying a lot.
11. Bloc Party- Silent Alarm- the second best Brit guitar album of the year, IMO.
12. Doves- Some Cities- The Doves deliver yet another great album, this one approaches the masterpiece that is "The Last Broadcast".
13. Sufjan Stevens- Illinois- the best psychedelic pop album of the last few years not involving past or current members of Flaming Lips.
19. Low- The Great Destroyer- Low continues to deliver classic slowcore, this is one of their best albums.
20. M83- Before the Dawn Takes Us- I actually am starting to prefer this one to "Dead Cities..." "Don't save Us from the Flames" is one of the best songs of the year, IMO.
22. My Morning Jacket- Z- My Morning Jacket finally makes a consistent, tight album. I liked a lot of their earlier stuff, but they always snuck in a few duff tracks, not on this one. Gives Spoon a run for it's money as the best rootsy/indie release this year.
24. Sigur Ros- Takk- Jesus friggen Christ, I'm sick of singing these guys' praises, but they keep delivering A quality albums. This is a "return to form" from their already excellent "()" to the stratospheric heights of the "Ajeatus bisdbiwebfbwoue" (sp?) album.
Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I agree strongly enough with the summaries that I quoted, that I'm going to check out a handful of the albums you recommend that I haven't heard yet.
Old 01-05-06, 10:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
my top ten albums of the year:

Elbow - Leaders of the Free World
dEUS - Pocket Revolution
Diplo - Fabric Live 24
Mylo - Destroy Rock and Roll
KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft (multichannel SACD edition)
Nic Armstrong & the Thieves - The Greatest White Liar
Vitalic - OK Cowboy
Smokin Jo and Tim Sheridan - Ministry: The Sessions - NastyDirtySexMusic
Death In Vegas - FabricLive 23

From my list it becomes quite obvious that I tend to favour and enjoy 'dance' music and I have to say the Fabric series (and the DJ's and acts) offers the best of the genre.
Old 01-06-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
my top ten albums of the year:

Elbow - Leaders of the Free World
dEUS - Pocket Revolution
Diplo - Fabric Live 24
Mylo - Destroy Rock and Roll
KT Tunstall - Eye to the Telescope
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft (multichannel SACD edition)
Nic Armstrong & the Thieves - The Greatest White Liar
Vitalic - OK Cowboy
Smokin Jo and Tim Sheridan - Ministry: The Sessions - NastyDirtySexMusic
Death In Vegas - FabricLive 23

From my list it becomes quite obvious that I tend to favour and enjoy 'dance' music and I have to say the Fabric series (and the DJ's and acts) offers the best of the genre.
Wow, except for that Super Furry Animals album, I haven't heard any of these...
Old 01-06-06, 07:30 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
7. Saint Etienne- Tales from Turnpike House- This is the second best album (the best being "So Tough") ever made by one of my favorite bands, don't miss it.
I did miss it, so thanks for pointing it out. They're one of my favorite bands, too.
Old 01-06-06, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Since I counted Giles last and he had a lot of perfectly-rated albums I actually skipped over any of the bands that had no other votes.
Old 01-06-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No a-ha? No Neil Diamond? No Ladytron?

I hereby declare that list null and void.
Old 01-06-06, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Neil made my Top Ten, if that's any consolation.

I checked two Targets (one in VA, one in OH) and neither had the Sufjan disc in stock, much less for $7.99. I'm on the waiting list for it at the library, though.
Old 01-06-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
My Top Ten list:

1. Trail of the Dead - Worlds Apart
2. Neil Diamond - 12 Songs
3. Herbie Hancock - Possibilities
4. Kate Bush - Aeriel
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
6. Rodney Crowell - The Outsider
7. Sonny Rollins - 9/11 Concert
8. White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
9. Rolling Stones - Bigger Bang
10. The Redwalls or Martha Wainwright - two strong debut albums

I personally thought Bloc Party was ok, but overrated. Nine Inch Nails and Foo Fighters albums were modest efforts at best, and disappointing. I picked up My Morning Jacket because of the reviews and thought I was going to get Skynyrd-meets-Crazy-Horse, but that didn't happen. Disappointed again. I have high hopes for the Sleater-Kinney album, who I saw earlier this year and they were great - hope I like the album as well when I do get around to buying it. And special mention goes to Green Day's 'American Idiot' - although released in 2004, it was still probably the album I listened to the most in 2005.
Old 01-06-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimdrix
Don't know if this was posted yet, but Target has Sufjan and Danger Doom on sale this week for $ 8.99...Can't go wrong with either purchase for this price.
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah was also $8.99 at Target when I was there today.
Old 01-07-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adrian
Hiro11,
Thanks for posting it.

Now, I have to check your #s #4, #7, #15, #18, #19, #21 & #25. Should I really start with #4?
That Minotaur Shock album sounds to me like a combination of "Architecture and Morality"-era OMD, a little Notwist-type IDM and some early 808 State. It's very precise and mellow with some Ibizian beats and some acoustic guitar. It's probably my favorite electronic album since Royksopp's debut.
Old 01-10-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
1. SHAKIRA: Fijacion Oral vol.1
2. SLIPKNOT: 9.0 Live
3. MADONNA: Confessions On A Dance Floor
4. THALIA: El Sexto Sentido
5. KORN: See You On The Other Side
6. FOO FIGHTERS: In Your Honor
7. SHAKIRA: Oral Fixation vol. 2
Old 01-29-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I'm not surpised. It just wasn't that good, IMO.

I think you need to listen again. Try "The Baying of the Hounds", 3:15-7:00- the whole thing, really). The part at 5:10 and on is amazing.

There are several moments like these throughout the ablum. THey just take a while to find.
Old 01-30-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

41. Edan - Beauty and the Beat - 60
Should be disqualified for such an obvious Go-Go's album title steal.

I only bought three albums albums last year:
Sleater-Kinney - "The Woods"
Juliana Hatfield - "Made in China"
Weezer - "Make Believe"

Out of those, Sleater-Kinney is my pick for best album of 2005. So... um... there you have it.
Old 02-01-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

whoa. i own (and enjoy) 20 of these albums and because of the list am thinking about increasing the number to 24 somehow... (sorry to you Judas Priest fans, but i previewed the album and it just ain't my thing.)

-di doctor-
Old 02-01-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Out of those, Sleater-Kinney is my pick for best album of 2005. So... um... there you have it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.