Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Matchbox Twenty re-uniting for NYE

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-28-05, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEW YORK (Billboard) - After a two-year break, matchbox twenty is gearing up for a December 30-January 1 reunion at the Joint in Las Vegas.

According to guitarist Kyle Cook, the pop/rock act is also hoping to regroup for a new studio album, which would be its first since 2002's "More Than You Think You Are."

Asked what it took to bring the members of the Rob Thomas-fronted act back together, Cook told Billboard.com, "Vegas, cash, New Year's Eve and booze, all in that order."

"We're at a time when everybody is doing a lot of different music, but the opportunity arose and Rob was available to do it, so we can get the machine fired up again," Cook added. "We'll probably rehearse for a week at my studio in Orlando, Fla."

Although Cook said the group hasn't "begun any writing or even looking at any material yet," he revealed he and drummer Paul Doucette already have an idea of where they next want to take matchbox twenty's sound.

"Paul and I have been talking about the idea of reinventing the concept of what this band is," Cook says. "The idea is to get edgier. We want to explore other things. The idea is to come with something nobody would expect, but obviously we need that pop sensibility we've always had."

There's no timetable for the band to hit the studio though, as Thomas will return to the road February 13 in Adelaide, Australia in support of his smash solo debut, "Something To Be."

Can't wait to hear some new stuff from them.

For anyone interested, tickets are $100-200. Wish I could be there.
Old 12-28-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be in Vegas when they're playing. Must see if good tickets remain
Old 12-28-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm looking forward to their next record, although I thought the RT solo record was probably as good, if not better, than anything Matchbox has done...so I wouldn't be too upset if he just decided to go solo from now on... If I were in Vegas then, I'd definitely try to catch the show, they are a very good live band.

MATT
Old 12-28-05, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I'm looking forward to their next record, although I thought the RT solo record was probably as good, if not better, than anything Matchbox has done...so I wouldn't be too upset if he just decided to go solo from now on... If I were in Vegas then, I'd definitely try to catch the show, they are a very good live band.

MATT
We completely disagree on that one. I've been a MB20 fan since the beginning and I've only listened to Rob's solo album a couple of times.

His nickname is Rob Timberlake. Just not my deal. I can't wait for them to get back together.
Old 12-28-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
Mad Season was a great album...

just thought I'd say that
Old 12-29-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
MB20 was a great band, but the Rob Thomas solo album isn't worth wiping your ass with.