Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The one-and-only RIAA news/discussion thread [2005/2006]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The one-and-only RIAA news/discussion thread [2005/2006]

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Dear RIAA,

Lick our collective, proverbial ball-sacs.

Signed,
The population of Earth
Old 02-17-06, 02:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
agreed, Infidel
Old 02-17-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
You'd think at some point the RIAA would finally realize that they've been kicking their own ass the whole time.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Dear RIAA,

Lick our collective, proverbial ball-sacs.

Signed,
The population of Earth
/signed
Old 02-18-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,757 Likes on 1,899 Posts
I think they're just getting pissy because people who have already bought the CD aren't rebuying the tracks off of iTunes for the iPods.

They just want to maximize profits for both revenue streams.
Old 02-18-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,414 Likes on 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Good grief. I can't believe they're still at it.

You'd think at some point the RIAA would finally realize that they've been kicking their own ass the whole time.

I finally got around to reading Peter Benchley's Jaws this week (RIP), and this reminded me of a scene not in the movie. When Brody, Quint and Hooper are out on the water looking for the big one, Quint captures a smaller shark and does something to show the other two how sharks think. spoiled for grossness
Spoiler:
he pulls it up out of the water, cuts it's belly open so it's guts start coming out, then throws it back into the water where the shark starts eating it's own guts in it's feeding frenzy, until it is finally torn apart by the other sharks
Yeah, gross. But I can totally see the RIAA doing this to themselves until they collapse under their own weight.
Old 02-19-06, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts
I suppose, if worse comes to worst, I can use my stand-alone burner to get drm-free discs. I'll put those on my computer/ipod. In all actuality, I'll probably just stop buying albums that have anything keeping me from doing what I want with my music.

I wonder what the individual artists will do if the RIAA continues on it's current path. If they started their own "indie" labels, would the bands be subject to the RIAA's rules?
Old 02-19-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wanted to toss this out... check your local library. Mine has literally hundreds of CDs that you can check out and listen to. Add that to the CD collections of your friends, and you have a large music pool to take a dip in. Of course, copying them would probably be immoral.

But back to the first question, it's my understanding that they are looking to see who has songs available, not looking at who is downloading songs. But then again, at $0.99 a pop at itunes, why risk it?
Old 02-19-06, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
Just wanted to toss this out... check your local library.
Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone. The more people that do this, the better the chances of the RIAA cutting off libraries. And then there goes my steady stream of new and catalog music.
Old 03-17-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
The latest and greatest news from the RIAA:

Two Music Thieves Indicted In Internet Pre-Release Piracy Case

RIAA Congratulates Nashville Feds for Action Against Individuals Posting Ryan Adams Songs to Web Before Commercial Release

WASHINGTON, DC – [The U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee, Jim Vines, and the Memphis Division of the FBI today announced two indictments by a federal grand jury for violating criminal copyright laws regarding unreleased recorded music. According to the indictment, the two individuals – of Milwaukee, Wis. and Jacksonville, Fla. – posted songs from the Ryan Adams & The Cardinals album “Jacksonville City Nights” on an Internet website prior to the album’s commercial release. The repercussions of music pre-release piracy, in which an early version of an album is made available illegally over the Internet, are far-reaching. Pre-release piracy can interfere with the vision that the artist had for the music, as well as marketing strategies of the album and the significant commercial investment of everyone involved in creating, producing and distributing it. Federal authorities used a provision of law passed as part of the Family Entertainment Copyright Act in April 2005 to prosecute this pre-release music piracy case. In response, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) issued the following statement from Chairman and CEO Mitch Bainwol.]

“Everyone who participates in the creation of music is especially gratified by this prosecution. Pre-release piracy is a particularly damaging and onerous form of theft. It robs artists of the chance to sell their music before it even hits the streets or becomes legally available online. And the ripple effects are felt far and wide throughout the entire music community – especially when that theft strikes in Nashville, the very heart of our industry. We’re extremely thankful for the efforts of Jim Vines, his team at the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the FBI for their leadership. We commend Congress for giving prosecutors the tools they need to achieve swift and successful enforcement of this devastating form of piracy. The message here is clear: significant crimes bring significant consequences.”

#####
On Pitchfork, it mentioned that the 2 guys were facing up to 11 years in jail. So now, if you illegally swap music that hasn't been released yet, you get to serve hard time. The absurdity of the RIAA's fight has surprised me quite a few times, but this is one of the more shocking things I've heard.

http://www.riaa.com/news/newsletter/030906.asp