Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Will any songs from 2005 be remember in 10-15 years.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Will any songs from 2005 be remember in 10-15 years.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
What is not taken into account concerning Metallica is how many of those 80's albums were sold post-"black" album. I'm betting the majority of them. More people got into Metallica after that album than any other. It is very common for fans new to an artist to check out older stuff, especially if that is what is featured at the concerts. Meaning a lot of those 80's albums sold better in the 90's because of mainstream fame.

*edit - doh - obeyTheD beat me on Metallica.

Originally Posted by The Bus
So the "non-mainstream" stuff, was it not released this year?

csim's question, as I understand it, should be phrased as such, Will any of the chart-topping singles from 2005 be remembered in ten to fifteen years?
That is all I was getting at, that is how I read it. Ignore what you think is good and think in general terms, aka popularity charts. Nice to see someone read into a post instead of insult the poster from first glance like others. The original post could have been worded better and saved this discussion a lot of grief.

And yes to the first question. For example, my favorite album this year was Frameshift: Abscence of Empathy(I keep meaning to start a thread about it). I'd put it in my favorite albums of all time. Have you heard of it? Probably not. Will it be remembered by more than a handful of people or be played in 15 years on an oldies station just because it happens to be good(to a few fans)? Billion to 1 odds. Just because I took the time to find something different, that is good, and not played through the normal channels does not change the fact that it won't be played in 15 years.

The music snobbery in this thread is amazing. Good is subjective. Just because you sought out XYZ band through irregular channels doesn't make them good or you special. OR ABC band was on the charts all year doesn't make them good either or me special for not liking it. Everyone has an opinion and that is all it is, yet when it doesn't agree with the music snobs it is wrong. It is possible to like something not on the charts and not be a snob about it.

Lastly, great list Bus. That would make an interesting mix-disc.
Old 12-30-05, 09:11 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The thing we are forgetting is that to teenagers and new music listeners, this is the music they are growing up to. If I can remember less obvious stuff like Rappin' Duke, Gerardo, Culture Club's "The War Song", Timbuk 3, "Lucas With the Lid Off", Rockwell's "Obscene Phone Caller", Bang Tango, etc. all these years later, there's no reason why people of this generation won't remember all the hit songs of this era.
Old 12-30-05, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice list, but i think i am in trouble i only know about 10 of those songs, opps. O well. But can someone help me out, who is 3rd Street, i have never heard of him before, and he is #2 on the list.
Old 12-30-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by csim
Nice list, but i think i am in trouble i only know about 10 of those songs, opps. O well. But can someone help me out, who is 3rd Street, i have never heard of him before, and he is #2 on the list.
I believe Mario is the artist and 3rd Street is the label.

Also you aren't in trouble if you don't know any of those bands. Look for some music outside of the stuff they play on the radio.
Old 12-30-05, 11:32 PM

When then who is Mario, is he a rapper, R&B singer, or Country. Where are all the country artist at. I thought country music is big again.
Old 12-30-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by csim
When then who is Mario, is he a rapper, R&B singer, or Country. Where are all the country artist at. I thought country music is big again.

I have no idea, nor do I really care.

That is a pop music list, look up a country music playlist and you might know some of the artists.