Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Mike Patton solo

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Mike Patton solo

I was checking out Pollstar today, and noticed that Mike Patton is going to be playing what appears to be a on-off show with John Zorn. I am familiar with Mike's projects, but haven't heard anything from his solo work.

Neither www.ipecac.com or www.mikepatton.com have anything to say about the show, so it may not be correct. I checked John Zorn's label website www.tzadik.com, and it doesn't list anything about it either. I noticed on Mike's website that he has worked with John previously, so that is a connection between the two, at least.

Has anyone seen him solo, and have any comments about it? I'm guessing it will be an interesting show, as it usually is with Mike, but I'd like to have a little more info about it.
Old 12-19-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not seen Patton solo, but I have heard a couple of his solo albums. YMMV on them. They have song samples on Amazon for his albums so you should check them out. I enjoy them, but I can definitely say they are not for everyone.

Will the show be at Zorn's place The Stone in NYC? I believe Patton has performed there... possibly with Zorn.
Old 12-19-05, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't think to check out Amazon, thanks.

It's in Denver, and I imagine I'll end up going on my own. As with most Patton, except for Faith No More, I imagine it's definately not for everyone. I've played various Fantomas and Tomahawk for people, and they definately do not like it. Some will kinda get into Mr. Bungle, but that may just be for my benefit.
Old 12-20-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
I noticed on Mike's website that he has worked with John previously, so that is a connection between the two, at least.
Wasn't Zorn involved in Mr. Bungle? I seem to recall seeing his name on the liner notes of the first Bungle album, but I can't remember in what capacity.

It sounds like it would be an interesting show.
Old 12-20-05, 02:57 PM

mike patton also did a song with Teamsleep called "Kool Aid Party". It was never released on Team Sleep's official cd but you can find a copy of it online somewhere.

apparently it leaked a year before the official cd was released.
Old 12-20-05, 03:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Patton works with Zorn all the time. He's doing the New Year's show with Zorn's Painkiller this year and he's on too many Zorn projects to list quickly.
Old 12-21-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After listening to the samples on Amazon, I know I won't be purchasing either of his solo albums. I'm not sure whether or not I'll attend his show. I know it will be interesting, but I don't think I could handle an hour and a half of it.

Tomahawk, Fantomas, Bungle, etc. Sure, those are enjoyable, even if they are very strange. An hour of screeching and grunting, maybe not so much.
Old 12-21-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Which is exactly why I said:
but I can definitely say they are not for everyone.
It is very different from the majority of his other work. Now, I don't know exactly what he does with Zorn so it may be completely different.