Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bush

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Bush

Whatever happened to these guys?!
Old 12-07-05, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dunno what happened to the other band members, but Gavin is with Institute now.
Originally Posted by Superman07
Old 12-07-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Released their last album - Golden State - in 2001. Broke up, quitely a couple of years later.

Gavin Rosdale is now fronting a new band called Institute, who released their debut - Distort Yourself - some months back. It was produced by Helmet's Page Hamilton - and the band also features former Helmet guitarist, Chris Traynor.
Old 12-07-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Interesting. May have actually heard one of those songs thinking "sounds like Bush....whatever happened to them?..."

Checked out the tracks on iTunes, most sounds the same and very unoriginal. Perhaps the entire album needs to be heard for a fair shake though...
Old 12-07-05, 07:54 PM

The Institute album is not very good at all...I couldn't even find 1 song to copy off it to put on a mix disc...Very dissapointing considering the guys from Helmet were involved.
Old 12-07-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I was a bit dissapointed in Institute, too - but did find some songs off the album I liked. I think it's unoriginal, in that it pretty much still sounds like Bush, only a bit heavier. That said, though, I think that the last Bush album was infinitely better.

Also forgot to add last post, that there is another recent Bush release. It's called Zen X Four - and is a combination CD and DVD release. The DVD contains all the videos the band did for the first four albums, plus some other extra stuff. The CD has previously unreleased live, acoustic and b-side songs. The cost is only for that of a single CD, and comes packed in a standard 2 disc jewel case - so it's a good bargin if you're so inclined to buy it.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 12-07-05 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-07-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Also forgot to add last post, that there is another recent Bush release. It's called Zen X Four - and is a combination CD and DVD release. The DVD contains all the videos the band did for the first four albums, plus some other extra stuff. The CD has previously unreleased live, acoustic and b-side songs. The cost is only for that of a single CD, and comes packed in a standard 2 disc jewel case - so it's a good bargin if you're so inclined to buy it.
I've always been a Bush fan. I need to pick this release up ASAP.
Old 12-08-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Institute opened for a leg of U2's current tour. They were here in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and I made sure to show up late to miss them
Old 12-08-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Well, one is still the President. The other is retired, occasionally helping out with worthy causes, such as the Tsunami fund.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-08-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I bought this mostly for the DVD and it is a decent release with a low price. All of the videos are here, however; I remember a different Cold Contagious video.
DVD Special Features are only about five minutes each:
1. The Science Of Things (about the album)
2. The Chemicals Between Us (the making of the video)

The CD is all live and acoustic tracks. Most Bush live songs sound very similar to the album version.
1. Comedown – acoustic 2. Glycerine – acoustic 3. Everything Zen – acoustic 4. Machinehead 5. Everything Zen 6. Comedown 7. Bomb 8. Glycerine 9. Little Things
Old 12-08-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wonder how long Gwen's gonna stick with Gavin since he can't even get a decent band going and she's playing arenas solo. People are starting to call him Yoko Rossdale.
Old 12-09-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I bought this mostly for the DVD and it is a decent release with a low price. All of the videos are here, however; I remember a different Cold Contagious video.
DVD Special Features are only about five minutes each:
1. The Science Of Things (about the album)
2. The Chemicals Between Us (the making of the video)

The CD is all live and acoustic tracks. Most Bush live songs sound very similar to the album version.
1. Comedown – acoustic 2. Glycerine – acoustic 3. Everything Zen – acoustic 4. Machinehead 5. Everything Zen 6. Comedown 7. Bomb 8. Glycerine 9. Little Things
2 Vids are missing:
Mouth [Stingray Mix]
Speed Kills [aka The People That We Love] (Different label)

Never saw the Cold Contagiuos vid, so can't confirm/deny.

Havent Listen to the CD yet, but would have preffered a GH cd instead.
Old 12-09-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Aw, that's sad to hear that they broke up. How many cds did the original band make? I have sixteen stone and razorblade suitcase.
Old 12-09-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Sixteen Stone [1994]
Razorblade Suitcase [1996]
Deconstructed (remix cd)[1997]
The Science Of Things [1999]
Golden State [2001]
Old 12-09-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Are the other ones worth checking out? I do love the first two cds.
Old 12-09-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
They're all good, except for the remix album - even though there are a couple of decent tracks on that one. Pick it up cheap used, if you really want it.

Science Of Things, and especially Golden State are both well worth getting if you don't have them.

There is an import 'Greatest Hits' type CD available - although, like the new CD/DVD - it only covers the first four albums. That's because those disc's were on one label (originally Trauma, now Kirtland Records) and the last, Golden State, was on another (Atlantic) - so they can't get the rights to anything from the last album.

It's called - The Best Of '94 - '99, and is also a 2 disc set.

Disc one is the hits, and has...
Everything Zen
Little Things
Comedown
Glycerine
Machine Head
Swallowed
Greedy Fly
Warm Machine
The Chemicals Between Us
Letting The Cables Sleep
Everything Zen (The Lhasa Fever Mix)
Mouth (The Stingray Mix) - which I actually prefer to the original
Swallowed (Goldie/Toasted Both Sides Please Mix)

Disc two, is the entire Live At Woodstock '99 set...
Machinehead
Greedy Fly
Warm Machine
Everything Zen
The Chemicals Between Us
Glycerine
Swallowed
The One I Love (R.E.M. cover)
Little Things

You should be able to find it for around $20+ (depending on where you get it from) without too much trouble.

And lastly, I also keep forgetting to mention that Gavin had a small acting role in last year's Constantine, as a demon - Balthazr, I believe it was.
Old 12-10-05, 12:00 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Ranger
Golden State definitely is. The Science of Things is more electronic and poppy and I thought it blew.
Old 12-11-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I've always liked Machinehead. I saw them live several years ago with some tickets won from the radio station. I couldn't hear the band half the time, due to all of the girls screaming.