Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Guitarist Link Wray Dies At 76

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this posted on Billboard this morning. Sorry if this is a duplicate:

November 21, 2005, 10:00 AM ET

Guitarist Link Wray, who was said to have invented the power chord, the major modus operandi of modern rock guitarists, has died in Copenhagen. He was 76. A native of Dunn, N.C., Wray's style is considered the blueprint for heavy metal and punk music.

The artist died on Nov. 5 and was buried Nov. 18 at Copenhagen's Christian Church, according to his official Web site, which did not reveal the cause of death.

Wray is best known for his 1958 instrumental "Rumble," 1959's "Rawhide" and 1963's "Jack the Ripper." His music has appeared in movies such as "Pulp Fiction," "Independence Day" and "Desperado."

His style is said to have inspired many other rock musicians, including Pete Townsend of the Who. David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Steve Van Zandt and Bruce Springsteen have also been quoted as saying that Wray and "Rumble" inspired them to become musicians.

According to Wray's site, he invented the fuzz tone by deliberately punching holes in his amplifier speakers. In 2002, Guitar World magazine elected him one of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time.

Wray, known for his trademark black leather jacket, gave his last performance in July in Glendale, Calif. He is survived by his wife and son.
Old 11-21-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Link rocked.
Old 11-21-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Rumble" was actually banned on the radio and it was an instrumental. Hilarious. It certainly does have a nasty, nasty sound. Great stuff. Pretty cool that he really never stopped touring.
Old 11-21-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Link rocked.
Yup. A legend.
Old 11-21-05, 02:59 PM

I was fortunate enough to see Link play earlier this year. I'm shocked by this news. Very sad indeed.
Old 11-22-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh well, his time has come. Some guitarist who had a song from Pulp Fiction is what most people will remember by and most people probably didn't realize that he was still alive.
Old 11-22-05, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
Oh well, his time has come. Some guitarist who had a song from Pulp Fiction is what most people will remember by and most people probably didn't realize that he was still alive.
I think you're confusing him with Dick Dale. He's still alive and well.
Old 11-22-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clayg
I think you're confusing him with Dick Dale. He's still alive and well.
Actually, Link Wray's "The Rumble" is featured when Mia is "powdering" her nose at Jack Rabbit Slim's.
Old 11-27-05, 10:09 AM

I was fortunate enough to see him play a relatively small club in the early to mid-eighties, not long after he'd married his Danish wife (who was in the audience).
Great show, a great performer, and a great guitarplayer.
Old 11-28-05, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jippy
Actually, Link Wray's "The Rumble" is featured when Mia is "powdering" her nose at Jack Rabbit Slim's.
I just assumed the poster was thinking about the theme song Misirlou since the Link Wray tune isn't on the soundtrack. But you are correct Rumble was featured in the film.
Old 11-28-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clayg
I just assumed the poster was thinking about the theme song Misirlou since the Link Wray tune isn't on the soundtrack. But you are correct Rumble was featured in the film.
No problem. I'm just a trainspotter when it comes to certain films and music. It's a blessing or a curse
Old 12-06-05, 12:14 AM

I don't know why or how but Link Wray was never on my radar. When I read of his passing and what was said about him I had to investigate. As soon as I heard Rumble I recognized it from Pulp Fiction. I then found and bought the cd "Rumble! The Best of Link Wray" which I have been listening to it all day today....awesome stuff.

http://tinyurl.com/8klr9
Old 12-06-05, 07:44 AM

76 is a very ripe age for a rock star, since the average life expectency for rock stars is 36.