Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Who else should Rick Rubin work with?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Who else should Rick Rubin work with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Merle Haggard
Old 11-20-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
The Max Weinberg 7
Old 11-21-05, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Metallica
Old 11-21-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Jimmy Eat World
Old 11-22-05, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts
I'll second Metallica.

We need to get them the fuck away from Bob Rock.
Old 11-22-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Metallica would be awesome.
Old 11-26-05, 11:56 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no one thinks his stuff with johnny cash was good right?

guy took an old man and talked him into some covers that were an absolute joke in some cases.

i'm big cash fan, and i have large number of friends who are diehard fans, most all agree the rubin /american recordings you can do without..

seems as though the only onee who really enjoyed were new cash fans or rubin fans, and the newer cash fans will surely find out his older recordings are far more superior..
Old 11-26-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rubin's work with Johnny Cash was amazing, and lead to some of the best albums of JCs entire career. I was a huge JC fan before Rubin, and even moreso after. I can't think of any covers that I would call a "joke"
Old 11-26-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
Rubin's work with Johnny Cash was amazing, and lead to some of the best albums of JCs entire career. I was a huge JC fan before Rubin, and even moreso after. I can't think of any covers that I would call a "joke"
And on the flipside of that, I was never a Cash fan until I heard the American recordings and, because of those, I am a bigger fan than I ever thought I would be.

Those CDs were damn amazing.
Old 11-29-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to fourth Metallica and second Jeff Lynne.
Old 11-29-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lcnickell
no one thinks his stuff with johnny cash was good right?

guy took an old man and talked him into some covers that were an absolute joke in some cases.

i'm big cash fan, and i have large number of friends who are diehard fans, most all agree the rubin /american recordings you can do without..

seems as though the only onee who really enjoyed were new cash fans or rubin fans, and the newer cash fans will surely find out his older recordings are far more superior..
So would you rather that Johnny would have still been playing in dinner theatres like the one Rubin met him in until he died? That he wouldn't have become well known to another generation or that he wouldn't have had the experience of having going to the studio to work with Rubin give him a reason to get out of bed during his illness? That he wouldn't have had the pleasure of the many awards and money for his family that those albums provided? These things alone made it worthwhile before we even get into discussion of some of the great recordings that came from those sessions. I think that Johnny Cash's resurrection in the 90's is a classy end to the career that began at Sun Records and we have Rubin to thank for the opportunity. I'm a long time Cash fan and I do not feel the need to choose between his early classics and the American recordings. It's all a part of the legend.
Old 11-29-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
KISS.

I would love to see Rubin whip those lazy fucks into real music makers.
Only if it's the original line-up. Peter, Gene, Paul, and Ace.
He'd kill Peter and Ace. Those guys can't play worth a damn anymore. Gotta go with Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer.
Old 11-30-05, 08:38 AM

Pearl Jam
Old 11-30-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mf Doom !
Old 11-30-05, 06:49 PM
Suspended

So would you rather that Johnny would have still been playing in dinner theatres like the one Rubin met him in until he died? That he wouldn't have become well known to another generation or that he wouldn't have had the experience of having going to the studio to work with Rubin give him a reason to get out of bed during his illness? That he wouldn't have had the pleasure of the many awards and money for his family that those albums provided? These things alone made it worthwhile before we even get into discussion of some of the great recordings that came from those sessions. I think that Johnny Cash's resurrection in the 90's is a classy end to the career that began at Sun Records and we have Rubin to thank for the opportunity. I'm a long time Cash fan and I do not feel the need to choose between his early classics and the American recordings. It's all a part of the legend.

Wait Rubin is that you?

come on with that dinner theater thing, i guess if i read the entire cd booklet, i could have read rubin saying the same thing..

you really think rubin goes out in public and hangs with ordinary peeps eating and watching Cash, i'm sure it was more upscale, if that's how the first meeting occured at all. and so what if he was, i'd rather have the man performing for his fans no matter what size the venue, you gonna justify it's better for someone to play for a few hundred with people eating dinner, rather than arena rock, with people drinking beer and eating nachos..

the albums are hit and miss, you could have a monkey engineering cash, and it'd still sound good, the only thing rubin did was introduce him to songs he might have otherwise overlooked

including some god awful ones.. the Eagles? Depeche Mode? man i guess depeche mode guys wife has a lot of pull with her working at American, why they'd ever degrade cash in that fashion is beyond belief.

RUBIN benefited 10x more than cash ever would, and cash and his family were set for life without the American money..

instead of fading out like a star, the old man was taken advantage of, and talked into things that in his prime he never would have even considered.
Old 11-30-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lcnickell
Wait Rubin is that you?

come on with that dinner theater thing, i guess if i read the entire cd booklet, i could have read rubin saying the same thing..

you really think rubin goes out in public and hangs with ordinary peeps eating and watching Cash, i'm sure it was more upscale, if that's how the first meeting occured at all. and so what if he was, i'd rather have the man performing for his fans no matter what size the venue, you gonna justify it's better for someone to play for a few hundred with people eating dinner, rather than arena rock, with people drinking beer and eating nachos..

the albums are hit and miss, you could have a monkey engineering cash, and it'd still sound good, the only thing rubin did was introduce him to songs he might have otherwise overlooked

including some god awful ones.. the Eagles? Depeche Mode? man i guess depeche mode guys wife has a lot of pull with her working at American, why they'd ever degrade cash in that fashion is beyond belief.

RUBIN benefited 10x more than cash ever would, and cash and his family were set for life without the American money..

instead of fading out like a star, the old man was taken advantage of, and talked into things that in his prime he never would have even considered.

While I may agree that not all of the AMERICCAN records were 'all that' - I do have to say, that for someone who claims to be "a big Cash fan', you certainly don't know very much about the man at all.

Cash was hardly 'taken advantage of' by Rick Rubin, nor was he EVER the kind of man who would or could be talked into doing something he didn't personally believe in.

What Rubin did do, was refocus Cash back to the essesence of what he started out with - a man and his guitar telling stories. That, and remind people that Cash was still a valid force - and not someone to be forgotten.

You say "instead of fading out like a star". Fact is, until the Rubin albums, Cash, in most people's eyes, had already pretty much faded into obscurity - even to the point of being considered a 'has been'. Country radio was all but ignoring him, and even his own prior record labels didn't know what to do with him anymore. What DID happen, was that instead of going out on a "whatever happend to..." note, Cash was able to go out on top - a critical and commercial success, and rightly so.

Ask anyone in his remaining family - they'll all tell you how thankfull they are that someone like Rubin was around to recoginize the man for the greatness he was, and to remind everyone else of it, too.

Lastly it was hardly about 'money' either - but it was about RESPECT.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 11-30-05 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-30-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ZZ Top
Old 12-01-05, 10:27 PM
Suspended

While I may agree that not all of the AMERICCAN records were 'all that' - I do have to say, that for someone who claims to be "a big Cash fan', you certainly don't know very much about the man at all.

Cash was hardly 'taken advantage of' by Rick Rubin, nor was he EVER the kind of man who would or could be talked into doing something he didn't personally believe in. .
wow you must not know much about either, or even less than me

Rubin came out publicly as did one of Johnny's grandkids and admitted, that Cash never would have done "Hurt", and a few other covers, had he been given the original versions to listen to with words or ideas expressed in them.

isn't that being talked into something you don't personally believe in?

Rubin has been quoted on camera stating if Cash would have ever heard HURT, with the vulgarity, he would have stopped listening to it, and never given it any chance?

do you need the interview from which i speak, cause i can find and link you to it.

Cash to me was a voice of the people, his strongest decades, well at least his most influential with the turbulent 60's and 70's, were i find his best recordings and truest self.. though you can argue 50's were big for his hits as well..

another voice of the people during same time was ALI.

funny both have/had parkinsons making them even more similar.

I guess you'd find nothing wrong with someone like Don King "the rick rubin" of boxing, getting ALI back into the ring, surprisinly ALI is very fast still, i'm sure he could give it a go.

i mean come on the guy isnt as well known as he was decades past, and he makes appearances in small venues now, often watching his daughter, and his son in laws managed fighters in action..

i think we owe it to ourselves to get him back in the ring for a new generation of people.. cause it's about RESPECT..

oh yeah and money, i'm sure an ALI PPV would be worth millions..his family could use the money..and since the Holmes loss 25 years ago, ali is a "has been" in the ring..

let's help secure his legacy, by letting millions experience his greatest with new fights.

the point you and rubin fail comprehend is yeah Cash might have been a lesser name in early 90's. but the man was, is, and will always be a Legend, someone who transcends time.. he didn't need some money hungry producer/label owner milking his name by putting out covers of god awful songs to secure his importance for people of all generations.. that was already done..

there's no shame in being past your prime, Cash would be as big today with or without Rubin's work..

what helped him more than Rubin was sadly Dying... Look at the Man Comes Around, that wasn't platinum till his decline/death..
Old 07-18-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: Who else should Rick Rubin work with?

He does not discriminate when it comes to working with musicians in different genres

There is a new Showtime doc about him and Shangra-La the studio he lives in.

Morgan Neville the guy behind "Won't You Be Neighbor" directed.

Old 07-18-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Did it survive the wildfires last Summer? I listened to an awesome podcast that Malcolm Gladwell did with Rubin as the wildfires raged and it sounded like the place was probably destroyed.

https://megaphone.link/PPY6684355777
Old 07-19-19, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

It seems like it was spared since I can't find anything on google
Old 07-21-19, 10:07 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I vote Rod Stewart
Old 07-21-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Tom Waits
Old 07-21-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Isn't the luster sort of off of Rubin these days?

The last things that he produced that I can think of were "Death Magnetic" and Sabbath's "13" and both of those were horribly underwhelming.
Old 07-21-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

Keep Rubin away from any artist that I like. I will give him his due for signing the Beastie Boys, Slayer and Danzig plus his hand in the rebirth of Johnny Cash but every album he has produced since 1993 has sounded like complete shit. He is the master of brickwalling. Even others who are now producing themselves that have worked for him in the past ruin the albums they work on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.