Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MusicTalk Draft Game - Round 1 Voting (Everyone can vote!)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

MusicTalk Draft Game - Round 1 Voting (Everyone can vote!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Hollowgen

2. Lokimok

3. monkish

4. BadlyDrawnBoy

5. DJLinus

6. Flynn

7. Drexl

8. Sweet Baby James

9. auto

10. ryuryu2949

11. whaaat

12. Damfino

13. cleaver

14. deadlax

15. Mordred

16. Apex Twin
Old 11-07-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Anyone who recognises the genius that is Jarvis Cocker gets my vote.
Pulp is one of my all-time favorite groups. It does suck being an American listening to them because a lot of the English references are lost on me, but JC is indeed a genius. And I'm rather shocked that This Is Hardcore wasn't chosen in the draft, as that's an excellent album.

A word about my opponent orangecrush18's list: it's really good and I'd likely vote for it myself (depending on what it was up against). The voting's fairly close so far, so I shant concede.

Regarding my Helmet pick: [GOB Bluth]I think I made a huge mistake.[/GOB Bluth]
Old 11-07-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Regarding my Helmet pick: [GOB Bluth]I think I made a huge mistake.[/GOB Bluth]
That was the tipping point for me
Old 11-07-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Round One Voting:

1. Hallowgen
2. Trip Wire
3. monkish
4. Badly Drawn Boy
5. DJLinus
6. Flynn
7. jimdrix
8. cdollaz
9. Vryce
10. mano365
11. whaaat
12. A.D.D. For DVD
13. cleaver
14. maxfisher
15. Hiro11
16. Aphex Twin
Old 11-07-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
1. Hollowgen
2. Lokimok
3. monkish
4. BadlyDrawnBoy
5. DJLinus
6. Flynn
7. jimdrix
8. cdollaz
9. auto
10. ryuryu2949
11. Giles
12. Damfino
13. cleaver
14. deadlax
15. Hiro11
16. Aphex Twin
Old 11-07-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nobody take this personally, as i dissect my rationale. every list has a few if not many good albums on it, but being as this is a preference vote... well, here we go:

This Round’s Match-ups

1. Hollowgen vs. ChrisKnudsen

my pick: ChrisKnudsen

rationale: more variety in style. while Hollowgen had many 'classic' albums which i love, ChrisKnudsen has my vote for adding variety to the list.

2. TripWire vs. Lokimok

my pick: Lokimok

rationale: again, variety. TripWire's list is mostly electronic or metal influenced music (with the exceptions being Muse and Violent Femmes).

3. monkish vs. illennium

my pick: monkish

rationale: variety. even though i haven't heard some albums on both of these lists, monkish shows more variety. although, i must give credit to illennium for the Kraftwerk pick! (i'm even going against what is possibly my favorite album ever, Kid A...)

4. Numanoid vs. BadlyDrawnBoy

my pick: BadlyDrawnBoy

rationale: this is one instance where i'm picking based on the fact that i have not heard a very large majority of Numanoid's picks. that's not to discount BDB's picks, since he has many albums on his list that i LOVE.

5. DJLinus vs. orangecrush18

my pick: DJLinus (by a very narrow margin)

rationale: although he didn't have as much variety as orangecrush IMO, the mere presence of James 'Laid' (eeking in at number 10) on DJL's list sealed the deal. 'Laid' is without a doubt one of my favorite albums of all time.

6. Flynn vs. Rogue588

my pick: Flynn

rationale: although i greatly admire Rogue588's variety, i simply am not familiar with most of his choices. thus, i have to vote with the familiar. it's only on my own ignorance that i award this vote, because, even though i like all three, i would hesitate to put Radiohead, Coldplay and Travis all on the same list. however, Sam Cooke was a spectacular choice.

7. jimdrix vs. Drexl

my pick: imdrix

rationale: another great match up. even though 'Graceland' is an absolute favorite of mine (and 'In Utero' very nearly so), the variety combined with the 'classic' appeal of almost all of imdrix's choices lands him my vote. and although i like McLachlan (and 'Fumbling' is her best album), she doesn't play in the same league as any artist on imdrix's list. and, i'm not really fond of 'Carnival' - 'The Eccleftic' was much better IMO.

8. Sweet Baby James vs. cdollaz

my pick: Sweet Baby James

rationale: both of these lists round out with albums i haven't heard, unfortunately, so my voting is partially based on ignorance. i have heard more on SBJ's list, plus i'm just more partial to his list. 'London Calling' is monumental, Radiohead is probably my favorite group - i love most of the artists on cdollaz's list, but the albums he chose are not the ones i would choose for almost all of 'em.

9. auto vs. Vryce

my pick: Vryce

rationale: i absolutely love some of the albums on auto's list and there are many albums on his list with oodles of street cred, but his list is too loaded with fringe rock - or, to put it another way, not enough variety.

10. mano365 vs. ryuryu2949

my pick: ryuryuryuryuryuryuryuryuryuryuryu2949

rationale: again, i love some of mano's choices, but the Killers is dubious IMO. plus, ryu snagged a whole slew of Beatles music and included Bob Marley, one of my faves. (not to mention a recent addition to my favorite list: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot..)

11. whaaat vs. Giles

my pick: whaaat

rationale: have i mentioned that radiohead is quite possibly my favorite group? whaaat snagged radiohead and quite possibly the best of marley's albums. i vastly admire Giles' variety (The Muppet Movie sndtrk and the only classical album on these lists) but whaaat has a list with two personal favorites plus many other great albums.

12. Damfino vs. A.D.D. for DVD

my pick: ADD for DVD

rationale: VERY VERY VERY difficult decision. it goes to ADD based on his greater diversity - throwing in BVSC swung it ADD's way. this, quite possibly, (out of the lists i've seen so far) should've been the final match-up because i love both of these lists so much.

13. cleaver vs. The Bus

my pick: cleaver

rationale: i haven't heard some of the albums on The Bus' list and i like every album on cleaver's list, so he takes it by my ignorance. although, The Bus' choice of Sigur Ros was a spectacular one...

14. maxfisher vs. deadlax

my pick: maxfisher

rationale: i love '69 Love Songs' and 'Funeral', but those aren't what sold max's list. it was, regrettably, the fact that i'm not familiar with all but one of deadlax's albums. i love many of his artists but i haven't heard some of his choices enough times or at all to give them my favor.

15. Hiro11 vs. Mordred

my pick: Mordred

rationale: 'Blood on the Tracks', 'Thriller', 'Back in Black', 'It Takes..' geezus. i don't know how these choices weren't stolen away by other people during the draft. how he swung so many favorites is beyond me. nice work, Mordred. Hiro11, excellent choices as well. Mordred's list just contains MANY MANY personal favorites.

16. Fandango vs. Aphex Twin

my pick: Aphex Twin

rationale: more variety and more 'classic' albums. 'Kind of Blue' was an excellent choice.

whew.
Old 11-07-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hollowgen

2. TripWire vs. Lokimok

Lokimok, bobble.

3. monkish vs. illennium

monkish ah um

BadlyDrawnBoy

orangecrush18 Like Swimming, Night Swimming ...

6. Flynn vs. Rogue588

Rogue588, for cryin' out loud

7. jimdrix vs. Drexl

jimdrix

cdollaz

9. auto vs. Vryce

Vryce

ryuryu2949

11. whaaat vs. Giles

Giles - I loves me some Solti

A.D.D. for DVD

13. cleaver vs. The Bus

The Bus - cleaver's list is thrice as good, but Frank would haunt me from beyond the grave if I didn't do this

maxfisher

15. Hiro11 vs. Mordred

Mordred - Too easy

16. Fandango vs. Apex Twin

Aphex Twin

das
Old 11-07-05, 07:22 PM

1. ChrisKnudsen
2. Tripwire
3. Monkish
4. BadlyDrawnBoy
5. DJLinus
6. Flynn
7. Jimdrix
8. Sweet Baby James
9. Vryce
10. ryuryu2949
11. Whaaat
12. A.D.D. for DVD
13. cleaver
14. Deadlax
15. Mordred
16. Aphex Twin
Old 11-07-05, 08:08 PM

test
Old 11-07-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

winner - Hollowgen

Even though I play the hell out of Chris' Daft Punk pick, I gotta go with Zep and the Stones.

2. TripWire vs. Lokimok

winner - TripWire

Lokimok's combination of the Beatles and Parliament can't beat the 1-2-3 punch of NIN, DM and Bjork.

3. monkish vs. illennium

winner - monkish

Songs In the Key Of Life and the White Album. 'nuff said.

winner - BadlyDrawnBoy

U2 & Prince? With a Chili Pepper and George Michael chaser? I'm so there.

winner - DJLinus

6. Flynn vs. Rogue588

winner - Rogue588

'nuff said.

7. jimdrix vs. Drexl

winner - jimdrix

This was the toughest for me. But jimdrix squeeked by thanks to his inclusion of Prince.

winner - Sweet Baby James

SRV, Kate and the Mac sealed the deal for me.

9. auto vs. Vryce

winner - Vryce

Great from beginning to end.

winner - ryuryu2949

Another hard one. They both had great stuff on their lists, but ryuryu2949 won the grudge match. Barely.

11. whaaat vs. Giles

winner - Giles

Nothing can beat "the Rainbow Connection". Nothing.

winner - Damfino

Like everything on both lists. The deal breaker for me was N.W.A.

13. cleaver vs. The Bus

winner - cleaver

The Bus has some of my favorite albums on his list. cleaver has way more.

winner - maxfisher

Miles almost made me pick deadlax, but I can't resist U2, the Floyd box and a Queen album I couldn't pick.

15. Hiro11 vs. Mordred

winner - Mordred

Too much good stuff on Mordred's list to deny. Not that Hiro11 didn't have anything good..

16. Fandango vs. Apex Twin

winner - Apex Twin

I'm spent. I can't justify my choices anymore.
Old 11-07-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Votes, including commentary (gives everyone something to read, right?):

1. Me - I chose some of what I consider to be the absolute best, and some that is. So there!
2. Lokimok - Rain Dogs is an amazing album. I'd listen to it over everything on anyone's lists.
3. illenium - 8/10 are on my fav albums list.
4. Numanoid - this was probably the toughest decision for me. If BBB's Joy Division was Heart & Soul, then it probably would have won my vote.
5. DJLinus - I like this mix & it is or was all pretty eccentric stuff. Which is what I prefer.
6. Rogue588 - ESB soundtrack is a deal closer.
7. jimdrix - Picking "Captain Fantastic" is pretty bold. My mom would love you.
8. cdollaz - Another player who stole some of my picks. "London Calling" could carry your team...
9. auto - Again, just a better mix IMHO.
10. ryuryu2949 - Pick one GNR, pick "Appetite".
11. whaaat - LZ II is my second fav, next to Graffiti.
12. Damfino - Again, I just like your mix better.
13. The Bus - Even though you opted for a box set, you still have a list of non-stop amazing albums.
14. maxfisher - See comments for The Bus.
15. Hiro 11 - "Alone Again Or" is the top played song on my iTunes list.
16. Aphex Twin - I listen to something from the Richard D. James album every day, and I'm new to Loveless, which I might add, is amazing.

even if i don't win enough votes to go anywhere, at least i can still have some fun with this!
Old 11-07-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
test
thank you, your vote has now been counted.
Old 11-07-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Hollowgen
2. Lokimok
3. monkish
4. BadlyDrawnBoy
5. orangecrush18
6. Rogue588
7. jimdrix
8. Sweet Baby James
9. Vryce
10. ryuryu2949
11. Giles
12. Damfino
13. cleaver
14. deadlax
15. Mordred
16. Aphex Twin
Old 11-07-05, 10:28 PM

For some reason, there's no "post" button for me... I can only "quick reply." I posted "test" thinking I might at least be able to edit the post, but there's no "edit" button either. Anyone know what's going on? I'd like to vote in this round.
Old 11-07-05, 10:49 PM

1. Hollowgen

2. Lokimok

3. monkish

4. BadlyDrawnBoy

5. orangecrush18

6. Flynn

7. Drexl

8. Sweet Baby James

9. Vryce

10. mano365

11. whaaat

12. Damfino

13. cleaver

14. maxfisher

15. Mordred

16. Apex Twin
Old 11-07-05, 11:13 PM

OK, I'm just going to do this via "quick reply."

1. ChrisKnudsen. Hollowgen has my favorite Stones album and a solid Bowie pick, but I have to say I'm not a huge Zepellin fan, and ChrisKnudsen's combination of Neutral Milk Hotel, T. Rex, and Daft Punk makes it easy to overlook his Slayer pick.

2. Lokimok. Neither of these is really in line with my tastes, but ultimately TripWire's collection is just too hard for my taste. I prefer Parliament and P.J. Harvey.

3. illennium. monkish has some great albums, including XTC and Stevie Wonder but illennium, well, that's me.

4. Numanoid. Holy crap, this one is tough. BadlyDrawnBoy has an amazing Jam box set, plus Joy Division and Prince. On the other hand, I can't stand U2, and Pearl Jam, George Michael, and the Peppers don't do much for me. Numanoid has at least six albums I haven't heard. In fact, I don't own a single one of his ten. But the list is just very cool, and I intend to check out a number of them.

5. DJLinus. This one's easy for me. The Velvet Underground, Flaming Lips, Pulp, even Postal Service as a legitimately great album that makes a nice guilty pick on a top-10 list. Despite the fact that James will always be associated with a particularly bad breakup, his list takes it.

6. Rogue588. I was going to vote for Flynn, but then I saw that he picked The Dave Matthews Band and U2. After seeing that, all I could think about was how much I like that Pet Shop Boys record...

7. jimdrix. Some true classics here: Revolver, Let It Bleed, Ziggy Stardust, Fear of a Black Planet. jimdrix could take the tournament with a list like this.

8. cdollaz. cdollaz got OK Computer, which means he wasn't snoozing when the competition started. He then snagged an excellent Elvis Costello record, the top Clash, and Teenager of the Year. All of this means I can overlook the U2 pick... for now.

9. auto. auto definitely has one of my favorite lists, and Vryce squandered a pick with Plumb, an album I actually own from my songwriter-obsessed college years and think is just okay for the genre.

10. ryuryu2949. The DMB pick makes this a difficult choice, but ultimately GnR and Weezer carry it for me, despite the added fact that the mano365's Interpol record is one of my favorites.

11. Giles. With the Chemical Brothers, DJ Shadow, and an awesome Morcheeba record, Giles takes this one. I have two Boo Radleys records but not Wake Up, Boo. Better get on that...

12. A.D.D. for DVD. On the strength of March 16-20, 1992 alone.

13. The Bus. The Tricky record beats the Massive record, and The Bus' list is just cooler.

14. maxfisher. I love deadlax's Billy Bragg and Wilco record (anyone who hasn't heard it should check out "California Stars"). But I also love Eels, Dinosaur Jr., and Pavement. Again, I'll look the other way as U2 slips onto the list.

15. Hiro11. This one is not close for me. Sonic Youth, Husker Du, The Streets (amazing album!), The Shins... Hiro11's list reflects my tastes well.

16. Ah, crap. Two amazing lists, with overlapping artists no less. I'm seriously staring at both lists now with no clue which way to vote. Either of these guys could win the contest and I'd be happy. I'm basically tossing a coin here. Let's go with Aphex Twin.
Old 11-08-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
1. Hollowgen
I hate to vote against what is probably my favorite VU album, but Hollowgen's list is so solid. I was very happy to see Jonathan Richman make the game & The Slits is a killer pick.

2. Lokimok
Oh my god! This is a fantastic list! Every choice a must-own!

3. monkish
Tough call. Marquee Moon is a favorite & the reissue cd only makes it better with "Little Johnny Jewel" - also like the Autobahn pick, but Beatles/Charles/Mingus are hard to beat

4. Numanoid
Mainly for the DEVO

5. DJLinus
Can't beat Peel Slowly - my 1st boxset pick

6. Flynn
I think Flynn picked the wrong Lennon album, & I love Rogue588's last 2 picks, but I can't vote for Meatloaf

7. jimdrix
Nice to see Graceland & Wilburys, but jimdrix's list is so classic.

8. cdollaz
The best Costello & excellent Waits, Heads, & Clash picks

9. auto
I like Vryce's 1st 4 picks a lot, but Freak Out!, Trout Mask Replica, Horses, the best Pavement album, AND the Talking Heads Brick!?!?

10. ryuryu2949

11. whaaat

12. A.D.D. for DVD

13. cleaver

14. maxfisher
Tough choice

15. Mordred
Another tough one

16. Aphex Twin
Nice to see Built To Spill, but you picked my least favorite album
Old 11-08-05, 01:54 AM

Well... I did have a nice long post with explanations of my picks and everything, until said post somehow vanished when I tried to send. Grrrr. Triple grrr, even. So... since it's late, I'll just do a quick 'n' dirty picks list, and list a few albums that tipped the scales for me.

1) Hollowgen (George Harrison, the Band, Peter Gabriel)
2) Lokimok (Tom Waits, Parliament)
3) monkish (everything)
4) Numanoid (Sparks, Esquivel)
5) orangecrush18 (Beck, Miles, Johnny Cash)
6) Flynn (Sam Cooke, Elliott Smith)
7) jimdrix (Beatles, Bowie, Neil Young)
8) cdollaz (first five picks)
9) auto (Pixies, Replacements, Zappa)
10) ryuryu2949 (Wilco, Beck)
11) whaaat (Beach Boys, Zombies, Radiohead)
12) Damfino (Beatles, Costello, X)
13) The Bus (Miles, Sinatra/Jobim)
14) deadlax (first five picks, Big Star)
15) Hiro11 (Ramones, Steely Dan)
16) Aphex Twin (Beatles, Coltrane)
Old 11-08-05, 06:24 AM

man I am getting owned by the classics, vote for the new school mixed with the old!
i should of drafted a pj harvey album, or like..leonard cohen or something

Last edited by TripWire; 11-08-05 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-08-05, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I didn't have time to do anything but vote yesterday, but wanted to comment on a couple of the matchups...

5. DJLinus vs. orangecrush18 - This was probably the toughest matchup for me. In the end, the combination of Velvet Underground and James swayed me. Peel Slowly and See was the first box set I ever bought and I've always loved it. And I've always felt like Laid was a beautiful, underrated album.

6. Flynn vs. Rogue588 - This was another really tough one. If I ranked all 20 of the albums, Flynn would have a couple at the top (Radiohead, Floyd, Lennon), but would also have several at the very bottom (DMB and U2 - I love U2, but wish they'd stopped after Pop). For having a more consistent list, and for the Queen boxset and ESB soundtrack, Rogue588 got my vote.

8. Sweet Baby James vs. cdollaz - Both high quality lists, but the combo of Unearthed, Nebraska and Grace won me over.

9. auto vs. Vryce - This might possibly have been my toughest choice, if not for a sole chink in Vryce's armor. I hate Jagged Little Pill. Other than that, 19 very solid choices.

11. whaaat vs. Giles - slightly superior overall list vs. very solid list with The Muppet Movie soundtrack. For such a highly original, nostalgic and excellent choice, Giles gets the edge.
Old 11-08-05, 08:53 AM

My vote

1. ChrisKnudsen
2. Lokimok
3. illennium
4. Numanoid
5. DJLinus
6. Flynn
7. jimdrix
8. cdollaz
9. Vryce
10.ryuryu2949
11.Giles
12.A.D.D. for DVD
13.The Bus
14.deadlax
15.Hiro11
16.Fandango
Old 11-08-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Trying to keep track of the votes and I haven't even voted myself yet!

1. ChrisKnudsen
2. Lokimok
3. illennium
4. Numanoid
5. DJLinus
6. Flynn
7. jimdrix
8. cdollaz
9. auto
10. ryuryu2949
11. Giles
12. Damfino
13. cleaver
14. maxfisher
15. Hiro11
16. Aphex Twin

There are still a few close matches. Good luck to everyone!!!
Old 11-08-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
You're killing me auto.
Old 11-08-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting, only about an hour left til polls close. Will the next round begin this afternoon?
Old 11-08-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
You're killing me auto.
Sorry.

It was a tough decision but, IMHO, you picked a lot of great artists but didn't pick their best albums.

I would have picked:

R.E.M.: Murmur (or any of their first three albums)
Morphine: Cure for Pain
Beck: Sea Change

I like Mars Volta but they haven't recorded a great album yet.

I loved your Faint, DCD, Miles Davis & Cash picks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.