Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Decemberists -- Appreciation Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-01-04, 07:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im planing on seeing em on wed.
I just bought HER MAJESTY THE DECEMBERISITS.

I think they are great. very unique and interesting sound, yet still very musical sounding, with some lovely little ditties.

They are different, but well worth seeking out.

anyone else like em? how are their other albums?
Old 04-01-04, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They only have one other full length, Castaways and Cutouts, and an EP, The Tain. C&C is more stripped than Her Majesty and the songs are not as memorable, IMO. The Tain is one 18 min song loosely based on a Celtic poem. I don't like it much because I have an unnatural aversion to metal riffs but it is an interesting listen just because you'd never expect so much genre-smashing to come out of them.
Old 04-01-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the Decemberists. Seems like they're blowing up lately, or at least gettting a lot of press. (example)

There's a mailing list discussion group -- the Youth and Beauty Brigade -- that's very active, here.

Personally, I like their first release, the 5 Song EP. It's all worth checking out, but I wish the Tain CD had track markers.
Old 04-01-04, 09:50 PM

The Decemberists are awesome.

I saw them live a couple weeks ago for the second time and they were totally awesome. You'll have fun.
Old 04-01-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i like jeff mangum's other work a little more.
Old 04-02-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very awesome indeed! I love them, it's new for me but I've been listening to them nonstop for a week or so (with some Pedro the Lion - Achille's Heal thrown in for good measure )
Old 04-02-04, 10:34 AM

If you like the Decemberists, check out Neutral Milk Hotel's 'In the Aeroplane, Over the Sea'. Very striped down and very good. Maybe you're already familiar w/ them?
Old 04-02-04, 11:44 AM

Add me to the list of people who think very highly of The Decemberists. I haven't heard the 5 Song Ep, but I love all of their other releases. I saw them live last week and was really impressed. I didn't have very high expectations not because of their music but because of the tempo. But they actually gave off great energy and the crowd was amazingly into the whole show.
Old 04-05-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw the Decemberists last night--

Crowd was instantly attracted to the music (me included). There were some songs where I couldn't stop smiling because of the catchy riffs.

They did an amazing version if chimbwy boy...I want a bootleg now.

I think his voice is going to lead them to the big-time. I found there music very catchy, but at the same time well crafted.

EDIT: I would LOVE to hear the lead singer in a punk rock band
Old 04-05-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like them pretty well. Although I can't listen to them without getting the feeling that I'm listening to Neutral Milk Hotel.
Old 07-08-05, 01:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The Decemberists - question

I heard a song in the last couple of days from them on XMU and I all I can remember is that part of the chorus has an infectious

"la de da de da da da da da"

I know that's much to go on, but I would assume it's off their 'Picaresque' album - right? what's the song?
Old 07-08-05, 02:37 PM

"Sixteen Military Wives" off of picaresque.

Incredible Band. All of their releases have been superb!
Old 07-08-05, 02:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
thanks xDareDevilx (runs off to Amazon.com).
Old 07-08-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
The video is hilarious. Finally got the album. It's been hyped to DEATH by people who like it, so naturally, I was not quite as floored as I may have been had I not heard about them so much before.

(Although to be honest, hype only kills things which are just good or worse... I heard just as much about Arcade Fire's Funeral and loved it).
Old 11-06-05, 11:42 AM
Banned

The Decemberists appreciation tread

Okay,

At first, I tought that band was a bunch of sissy-cry-babies. But I saw them live a couple months ago...AND WOW!

I bought two of their record (Picaresque and Castaways and Cutouts) and they are simply amazing.

Great composition, awesome storytelling and hell of a band to see live.

Anyone else her who simply loves Colin Meloy's delirium project?
Old 11-06-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Check out their Her Majesty release, as well.
Old 11-06-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by didyounotice
Okay,

At first, I tought that band was a bunch of sissy-cry-babies. But I saw them live a couple months ago...AND WOW!

I bought two of their record (Picaresque and Castaways and Cutouts) and they are simply amazing.

Great composition, awesome storytelling and hell of a band to see live.
haha, ditto. i saw them live last fall at an outdoor festival with death cab & the pixies, and was instantly hooked. the live show is definitely where it's at, and i really like that they've become more energetic on the records. they're a band that doesn't show any signs of slowing down on quality.
Old 11-06-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, they are actually a band that is getting better after each release. I am glad I got in their records before they got bigger for my vinyl is worth some nice dollars.
Old 11-06-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Love the first two albums, hated the third initially, but warmed up to it after several months. The Tain EP is high recommended, too. 20 minutes, one song.
Old 11-06-05, 09:54 PM
Banned

I really the Five Songs EP too...

In fact, I think I love every single record...but don't really have a favorite.

Am I the only one who simply diggs all their 'mariner's' song? Like 'Mariner's Revenger Song' or 'A cautionary song'. I mean, this is GREAT storytelling.
Old 03-19-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love: 3/24/09

I saw recently that a new one from the Decemberists is out now on vinyl (and iTunes) and out on CD next week. Anyone here still a fan of the Decemberists? Got plans on picking this up?

It's 9.99 at Amazon, if you're interested...

BTW, I searched and was surprised to not see a thread already...
Old 03-19-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love: 3/24/09

Its phenomenal. I love it. The best thing about it is that it pretty much demands to be listened to as a whole album.
Old 03-19-09, 09:35 AM

I'm going to hold out until Tuesday in the hopes that Amazon will make it their MP3 Album Deal of the Day. But I'm really looking forward to this one, especially after hearing "The Rake's Song" off their Web site a couple of months ago.
Old 03-19-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my vinyl copy of this early this week and I can't decide whether or not I like it. It's pretentious as heck, but I think there's some good music here. Still, I can't believe this is now the same band that wrote "Grace Cathedral Hill".
Old 03-19-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So far not that thrilled with it. It seems like the same song over and over with slight variations in instrumentation and vocals (I know there's like 4 versions of the title track). That and I'm just not interested in what seems like a fairly boring love story as the theme. Like I said in another thread it seems like a school play or something. I've loved all their albums so far so maybe this will grow on me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.