Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Q for Dylan fans: The Rest of Bob Dylan?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a late comer to Bob Dylan, but have a pretty decent collection now thanks to yourmusic.com (the SACD Hybrid boxset at 4.99 a disc was maybe the best deal I've ever had). I've almost exhausted the Dylan items they have at yourmusic, and have bought a few things elsewhere that they didn't have including both the CD and DVD of No Direction Home.

So now, I'm looking for opinions on the several Dylan albums I still don't have in my collection. What's worth tracking down? Any to be avoided? Any classics I've shamefully overlooked that I should seek right way?

Currently missing from my collection are:

Dylan - 1973 (Not in print? )
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid - 1973 (Soundtrack w/ Knocking on Heaven's Door)
At Budokan - 1979 (Live 2 CD)
Saved - 1980
Shot of Love - 1981
Real Live - 1984 (Live)
Knocked Out Loaded - 1986
Down in the Groove - 1988
Dylan & the Dead - 1988 (Live)
Under the Red Sky - 1990
Good as I Been to You - 1992
World Gone Wrong - 1993
The 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration - 1993 (Live 2 CD)
Masked & Anonymous - 2003 (Soundtrack)
Also Dylan appears on a few songs on The Band's live CDs, "Rock of Ages" and "The Last Waltz" which I don't have either.

I also don't have any of the "Best of" CDs yet or "The Essential...", but I have ordered the Biograph Box Set and Greatest Hits Volume 2 from yourmusic.com (both are backordered ). GH Vol1 is, I believe, completely redundant, since Biograph will have Positively 4th Street, and most songs on GH Vol3 can be found one other albums except for Dignity.
Old 10-23-05, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those you listed are ones to stay away from. You might want to track down "Real Live" simply for the version of "Tangled Up In Blue." In the Biograph liner notes he said that version was closer to how he originally envisioned it as compared to the "Blood On The Tracks" version.
Old 10-23-05, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Dubya.

If you really want, most of the tracks from those albums that are even worth listening to are on Greatest Hits Volume 3, but personally even those aren't that great.

Since you have some of his stuff with the Band, I have a question...

How are the Basement tapes? Are they worth picking up? What does it sound like? I have picked up most of his SACD's through BMG, but they don't have this one.
Old 10-23-05, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Applejack
How are the Basement tapes? Are they worth picking up? What does it sound like? I have picked up most of his SACD's through BMG, but they don't have this one.
I don't think Basement Tapes was released as SACD. I've been wanting this one too, but am holding out for a remaster. Anyone know of any plans for this one?
Old 10-23-05, 10:13 AM

I think "The Basement Tapes" is essential, but it seems likely to be re-released in a remastered version at some point, so I've been holding out for that. (I have it on vinyl.) Unfortunately, they seemed to have abandoned the SACD hybrids, but they still appear to be on track with issuing remasters of his catalog. After the initial 15 CDs they remastered a couple years back, this June they released remasters of his self-titled debut album and "The Times They Are A-Changin'," so it looks like they may go in chronological order now on re-releasing his remaining catalog.

I have to say that all of the titles remaining on your "still need" list are not bad, particularly "Good As I Been To You" and "World Gone Wrong." If you're not in a hurry however, you may wait on them as they will likely be eventually re-released, although who knows at what timeframe this will happen.

As far as his stuff with the Band, I would suggest adding "Rock of Ages" and the remastered boxset of the classic "The Last Waltz" to your list as well. And if you don't have the DVD of "The Last Waltz," it's cheaply available and a must-have title, IMO.
Old 10-23-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Real Live for the solo Tangled.
I would highly, highly recommend World Gone Wrong and Good As I Been To You - yes, they're all traditionals, but they're both great albums.
Old 10-23-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoy Saved, personally. A lot of people are upset because he was singing songs about God. He really does Gospel well on the CD IMO.
Old 10-23-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of the albums you mentioned I really like "Shot of Love". Half the songs are keepers.
Old 10-23-05, 10:29 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
The Basement Tapes is one of the half-dozen essential Dylan albums, full stop. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is worth picking up as well

The last Dylan album I purchased was Empire Burlesque, in '85 or '86. I own or have owned everything he released up until that point.
Old 10-23-05, 03:17 PM

Dylan - 1973 (Not in print? )
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid - 1973 (Soundtrack w/ Knocking on Heaven's Door)
At Budokan - 1979 (Live 2 CD)
Saved - 1980
Shot of Love - 1981
Real Live - 1984 (Live)
Knocked Out Loaded - 1986
Down in the Groove - 1988
Dylan & the Dead - 1988 (Live)
Under the Red Sky - 1990
Good as I Been to You - 1992
World Gone Wrong - 1993
I have these and they all have some redeeming qualities. None of them are going to be as good as Dylan at his best but with the exception of Self Portrait I don't think Dylan has ever made a really bad album. Even Self Portrait is worth listening to IMO. I'd seek out as much Dylan as you can, you won't regret it.
Old 10-23-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't played them in a while, but Good As I Been To You & World Gone Wrong are both excellent. Knocked Out Loaded, Down In The Groove, & Dylan & The Dead are all about as bad as you've probably heard.

You should get the first Bootleg Series box if you don't have it & you might want to try to find the "Things Have Changed" song. It was on the Wonder Boys soundtrack & the Victoria's Secret cd. I don't know if it showed up anywhere else. Also, the 2 Traveling Wilburys albums have some great stuff, but I don't know when they're getting re-released.
Old 10-23-05, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
The Basement Tapes is one of the half-dozen essential Dylan albums, full stop. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is worth picking up as well

The last Dylan album I purchased was Empire Burlesque, in '85 or '86. I own or have owned everything he released up until that point.
and if you don't own "Time Out of Mind", you really should, wendersfan! it's destined to be a classic if it isn't already! and less so Love & Theft...
Old 10-23-05, 06:23 PM

Thanks for all the comments so far. Still no clear winner as to what I'll pick up next, but I've got an idea of a few to avoid for now.
Originally Posted by Applejack
As others have said, there's a lot of good stuff on The Basement Tapes. Well worth checking out.
Originally Posted by Lokimok
You should get the first Bootleg Series box if you don't have it & you might want to try to find the "Things Have Changed" song. It was on the Wonder Boys soundtrack & the Victoria's Secret cd.
I've got all the Bootleg Series now- I LOVE that first boxset, there's a lot of good stuff there. Live 66 and Live 75 are fantastic too.

I just picked up the Wonder Boys soundtrack a couple days ago for Thing Have Changed. It was a "nice price" CD. Well worth it.
Old 10-24-05, 10:32 AM

I recommend Good as I Been to You. Froggie Went a Courtin' don't ya know. The 30th anniversary discs are good too, they really showcase what an excellent songwriter he is.
Old 10-24-05, 09:50 PM

Rock Of Ages is a superb Live LP, I don't even remember the Dylan content which was included as bonus tracks on the ought-one r/m, but well worth it for The Band alone.

If you haven't tried it yet, you might want to explore the music that influenced Dylan, Robert Johnson, Anthology Of American Folk Music, etc.

Best Wishes,
Tim
Old 10-25-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
I was going to ask if you had Bootleg 1-3. "Series of Dreams" is one of his very best songs; it was left off Oh Mercy for some reason, even though, or perhaps because, it is infinitely superior to anything on that overrated album.