Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Unreleased Elliott Smith tracks surface online

Old 10-17-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from NME:

There's 22 of them...

A host of unreleased material from Elliott Smith has surfaced on the internet as the second anniversary of his death approaches.

The 22 tracks are being circulated under the title 'From A Basement On The Hill II', and are purported to be songs dropped from the star's final LP. However, much of the material is believed to date from long before the album's sessions, some of it going back as far as the mid-'90s.

Charlie Ramirez, Webmaster for the official Smith site SweetAdeline.net, told MTV, "I think some of them might have been considered for 'Basement...', but not necessarily."

Smith died from an apparent suicide on October 21, 2003. He was found with a knife wound in his heart.

According to a publicist for Smith, 34 songs were recorded during the album's lengthy sessions, although various interviews and accounts put the figure closer to 50 tracks.

According to Ramirez, tracks that are definitely outtakes from the 'Basement...' sessions include 'Abused', 'The Worst Part Is Almost Over' and possibly 'High Times', 'New Disaster' and 'Riot Coming'. Other leaked tracks like 'Placeholder', 'See My City Dead' and 'Georgia' date from the 'Either/Or' era of 1996-97.

Three songs were reportedly removed from the proposed final version of 'From a Basement on the Hill' at the family's behest, presumably for their lyrical content - 'Abused', 'Suicide Machine' and another unnamed track.

The number of reported 'Basement...' outtakes extends into double figures and includes still-unreleased songs like 'Mr Good Morning', 'From a Poisoned Well', 'Dancing On The Highway', 'See You in Heaven' and 'True Love'.

Anybody find these? I would love to get my hands on some high quality versions of these songs.
Old 10-17-05, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by auto
from NME:
Three songs were reportedly removed from the proposed final version of 'From a Basement on the Hill' at the family's behest, presumably for their lyrical content - 'Abused', 'Suicide Machine' and another unnamed track.

Anybody find these? I would love to get my hands on some high quality versions of these songs.
^ That was the report I heard before the Basement cd was released. Although I respect the wishes of his family, I'm glad these songs will see the light of day. I suppose it was inevitable that they would eventually be leaked; I'll certainly be searching for them when I get home from work.

As far as I know, posting links to material that is/could be copyright is frowned upon..
Old 10-17-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by eisenreich
^ That was the report I heard before the Basement cd was released. Although I respect the wishes of his family, I'm glad these songs will see the light of day. I suppose it was inevitable that they would eventually be leaked; I'll certainly be searching for them when I get home from work.

As far as I know, posting links to material that is/could be copyright is frowned upon..
I would think that this falls in the same category as the Fiona Apple leak. Let's just not be stupid about it...
Old 10-17-05, 04:34 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

www.stereogum.com is a blog I like that mentioned this today, it has links to other sites which may or may not have the links to the tracks.
Old 10-17-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
www.stereogum.com is a blog I like that mentioned this today, it has links to other sites which may or may not have the links to the tracks.

Looks like those links are bad now.
Old 10-17-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bittorrent
Old 10-18-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Terrific news! I've been waiting to this to happen for two years now.
Old 10-18-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found this last night, and it is great to hear more music from this guy... love him.
Old 10-22-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Easy to find on Bittorrent. Great stuff too. Possibly better than From a Basement on the Hill.