Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

has a band or cd ever surprised you?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say the latest pourcipine tree album. Mainly because I thought it would be more of a simple nu metal/post grunge band since the lead single "shallow" is just that, but then hearing prog stuff and songs over 10 minutes, it was indeed a welcome surprise and hope to try to get into more of their stuff.
Old 10-14-05, 05:22 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Idiot surprised me. I'd always been a casual Green Day fan, but I was really dissappointed with their couple prior albums, so American Idiot caught me off guard.

Incubus, wasn't much of a fan until I saw them live, they blew me away and have been one of my top 10 or so since then.

Modest Mouse. Liked "Float On", then "Loved Ocean Breaths Salty." Picked up that CD and loved it, then caught them live and loved the show. Their music is pretty varied and not what I expected based off those two aforementioned songs. Have picked up a few more CDs and love them as well (except a coupe real early ones that are pretty rough).
Old 10-14-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure, tons of times. I was shocked the first time I heard "Ok Computer" because I had written off Radiohead long before that. I still don't really think "The Bends" is a top-notch album (a few decent songs).

The last thing that surprised me was Nada Surf. I never paid attention to them because I thought their name was stupid, but after hearing their new single and then their last two album I must admit I really dig 'em. And right before that was Matt Pond PA. Another name that doesn't really grab me, but DAMN does the music.

Kylie Minogue surprised me with "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". LOVE that song. Of course, the fact that she surprisingly sang with Nick Cave should have made me aware she could do good work.

Just off the top of my head.
Old 10-14-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
The last thing that surprised me was Nada Surf. I never paid attention to them because I thought their name was stupid, but after hearing their new single and then their last two album I must admit I really dig 'em..
Right there with you on that one.

Thier first album High/Low (1996), was a kind of a 'one hit wonder' affair when it first came out - and a bit of a Weezer clone sounding one at that. I remember thinking it was alright, but then I just kind of wrote them off. Got thier second album, The Proximity Effect (1998),and never really listened to it at the time, either.

Flash forward to 2003, and a friend played their third record Let Go, for me, and all that changed VERY quickly. The music on this album was so good, I could hardly believe this was the same band. It ended up being my #1 record of that year - a fact even more impressive as it came out early in the year, and stayed that way till year's end, constantly beating out all competetion. Seriously, there's not a single bad song on this record, and I would even rank it among my top records of ALL TIME. It made me go back and re-examine the earlier work, and turns out it was just way ahead of it's time.

Then I saw them live, and was even more blown away! Without a doubt, they are one of the best bands I've EVER seen live, and I've seen hundereds of them over the years. If you get a chance to see them live, by all means, go - you won't regret it. I just saw them a week ago in Boston, and I'm still buzzing about it. I can't wait for the chance to see them again.

Their new album, The Weight Is A Gift, is already shaping up to be this year's #1 for me, too.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 10-14-05 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-15-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beck's "Odelay" surprised the CRAP out of me. I figured 'Loser' was it for him...
Agree with "Ok Computer" as well.
Old 10-15-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yes
Old 10-15-05, 10:02 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
It's in a negative way, but Gang of Four's fourth album, Hard, was a real shock, just because of how lame and crappy it was. Remain in Light was pretty surprising, in how radically Talking Heads evolved so quickly.
Old 10-15-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes..I was dumpster diving the other day and came across some cd's somebody threw out, the one that blew me away was this cd from a local band here in detroit called "Overloaded" what an amazing cd.
Old 10-16-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes. About 14 minutes into the first track, Djed, on Tortoise's "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". Holy Crap! Don't do that to me!

It is of course my favorite Tortoise song now.
Old 10-16-05, 02:26 AM

Black Eyed Peas had 2 underground hip hop albums. Good ones.

Then they added the chick and released Elephunk. Ugh... When I heard 'Where is the Love' I was so confused. I haven't actually heard the album, but considering the fanbase they recruited with it, I don't think I want to.

Similar kind of thing with Talib Kweli, although a bit more gradual. Reflection Eternal was an awesome album, then Quality was lacklustre, and The Beautiful Struggle was just really bad music.

Common surprised me on Electric Circus, coming off 'Like Water For Chocolate,' which was straight up hip hop by all standards. EC was psychedelic and experimental and featured people from Stereolab to Prince. Didn't like it much at first but I grew to love it. Com even had lines like "In a circle of ****, your name is mentioned," and "There's rumours of gay emcees, just don't come around me with it," on LWFC, but then dedicated a verse on a song to telling a story about accepting his gay friend who came out to him on EC.

those be the first 3 into my head...

Last edited by thismeansyou; 10-16-05 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-19-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I'd say the latest pourcipine tree album. Mainly because I thought it would be more of a simple nu metal/post grunge band since the lead single "shallow" is just that, but then hearing prog stuff and songs over 10 minutes, it was indeed a welcome surprise and hope to try to get into more of their stuff.
Originally Posted by Tscott
Yes. About 14 minutes into the first track, Djed, on Tortoise's "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". Holy Crap! Don't do that to me!

It is of course my favorite Tortoise song now.
Interesting. When I read the thread title, these were the exact two I was going to post as well.
Old 10-19-05, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Flynn
Beck's "Odelay" surprised the CRAP out of me.
That's the album that made me stop listening to Beck. I loved his earlier albums, but Odelay was such a load of mainstream tripe, I couldn't support him anymore. Now as long as we have Ween, I don't need Beck.
Old 10-19-05, 12:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
saw Ozomalti in concert was so impressed I bought the album at the concert.
Old 10-19-05, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
saw Ozomalti in concert was so impressed I bought the album at the concert.
I love them. I have never seen them live though. Do they tour often?

If you like them, check out Orishas.
Old 10-19-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd say the latest pourcipine tree album.
You should check out the DTS version of Porcupine Tree's Deadwing
Old 10-19-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Never, every CD has always been exactly how I expected it to be. I live in a world without highs or lows.
Old 10-19-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually haven't listened to Porcupine Tree although I've been meaning too. FYI, the main dude from PT has produced Opeth's latest albums which are all masterpieces.
Old 10-19-05, 03:19 PM

I think Kid A had to shock pretty much everyone.
Old 10-20-05, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by sebastianv50
I think Kid A had to shock pretty much everyone.
in the negative sense for me.
Old 10-20-05, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by saoirse
I love them. I have never seen them live though. Do they tour often?

If you like them, check out Orishas.
I'm not sure if they tour that often, to be honest I saw them when they were on the Van Warps tour (!!) - the only band that I went to see was Symposium, which was just eh, Ozomatli on the other hand was a complete and utter surprise - simply fantastic!

According to Amazon, it looks like Orishas has three albums - which one do you recommend?
Old 10-20-05, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
According to Amazon, it looks like Orishas has three albums - which one do you recommend?

A Lo Cubano is the one I'd recommend most. I have all three, but on this one, imagine the best Ozomatli song, this is what most of the album is like.

Let me know what you think.
Old 10-21-05, 03:01 AM

I couldn't believe how bad the newest (1998-ish) Rakim CD was, not one song I liked.

I was suprised by the sound on Incubus's Morning View-they were more 'pop,' but I still loved it.