Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queen+ Paul Rodgers "Return of the Champions" DVD - October 18th

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-08-05, 05:21 PM

I don't know if anyone else has seen it but apparently the US release date for the new DVD is October 18th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Well then, America got the CD before the UK and now the DVD as well. Kooky eh?
Old 10-08-05, 07:06 PM
Banned

I've heard a few tracks, and I just can't stomach Rodgers in Freddie's place. And, shit, I LIKED Bad Company and Free. But this is just garbage. I wouldn't go see them with free tix. Very unfortunate choice....What, George Michael wasn't available???
Old 10-09-05, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I've heard a few tracks, and I just can't stomach Rodgers in Freddie's place. And, shit, I LIKED Bad Company and Free. But this is just garbage. I wouldn't go see them with free tix. Very unfortunate choice....What, George Michael wasn't available???
Well that and GM can't sing rock songs, that pretty much excluded him.
Old 10-10-05, 07:13 PM
Banned

While I was being mildly facetious in my earlier post about George Michael, his performance w/Queen ("Somebody To Love") on the Freddie tribute DVD was easily one of the highlights of the evening. He probably could have pulled it off fairly easily (certainly leagues better than Rodgers).
Old 10-10-05, 11:06 PM

While I was being mildly facetious in my earlier post about George Michael, his performance w/Queen ("Somebody To Love") on the Freddie tribute DVD was easily one of the highlights of the evening. He probably could have pulled it off fairly easily (certainly leagues better than Rodgers).
Well what exactly could GM pull off better than Rodgers? The majority of the set list are rock tunes so what's GM supposed to do?
Old 10-11-05, 07:20 AM
Banned

He's closer to Freddie's style than PR's brusque growl. Might as well have fucking Brian Johnson (AC/DC) sing. It might be interesting, but not as melodic as Freddie. GM would have been a better choice.
Old 10-12-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He's closer to Freddie's style than PR's brusque growl. Might as well have fucking Brian Johnson (AC/DC) sing. It might be interesting, but not as melodic as Freddie. GM would have been a better choice.
your missing the point....this is not supposed to be a tribute band.if GM was involved,it would sound to much like Queen...

PR takes this in an all new direction,the CD is pretty good,with some keeper tracks...`39(about time BM sings his song)we are the champions sounds better live with PR singing,imho and hammer to fall is great.

reachin out,tie your mother down,love of my life,these are the days of our lives and fat bottom girls are all pretty good.throw them in with,wishing well feel like making love and all right now.

im going to the show and am looking forward to the dvd...

however!if they don`t get in the studio and record a cd ill just loose interest.
Old 10-13-05, 05:03 PM
Banned

If it's "not supposed to be" like QUEEN was, don't sully the legend by calling it QUEEN. Perhaps they could call it HalfQueen.
Old 10-14-05, 06:40 PM

If it's "not supposed to be" like QUEEN was, don't sully the legend by calling it QUEEN. Perhaps they could call it HalfQueen.
It's not Queen, it's "Queen+ Paul Rodgers" so what's the prob?
Old 10-14-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
It's not Queen, it's "Queen+ Paul Rodgers" so what's the prob?
It's not Queen+Paul Rodgers.

It is Brian May & Roger Taylor + Paul Rodgers.

That's the prob.
Old 10-14-05, 08:43 PM
Banned

THANK YOU, brianluvdvd. You seem to grasp the issue well!
Old 10-14-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

. Might as well have fucking Brian Johnson (AC/DC) sing.
What do you mean"Fucking Brian Johnson(AC/DC)"

why not Angus Young & Malcolm Young + Brian Johnson...
Old 10-15-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Meh, Journey without Steve Perry is still Journey.
Old 10-15-05, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
It's not Queen+Paul Rodgers.

It is Brian May & Roger Taylor + Paul Rodgers.

That's the prob.
What's in a name anyway?

I guess The Eagles aren't REALLY the Eagles, it's just Don Henley and Glenn Frey. Same goes for AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen etc etc etc etc. Hell, if you REALLY want to get technical, "Queen" were never Freddie, Brian, Roger and John anyway, the band had two other bass players perform with them as "Queen" before John joined the group. So now what?

I wish people came up with more legit things to bitch about sometimes.

Last edited by Michael Allred; 10-15-05 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-15-05, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's in a name anyway?

I guess The Eagles aren't REALLY the Eagles, it's just Don Henley and Glenn Frey. Same goes for AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen etc etc etc etc. Hell, if you REALLY want to get technical, "Queen" were never Freddie, Brian, Roger and John anyway, the band had two other bass players perform with them as "Queen" before John joined the group. So now what?

I wish people came up with more legit things to bitch about sometimes.
Mr. Allred, "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I will leave it at that.
Old 10-15-05, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Mr. Allred, "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I will leave it at that.
The fact that your only response is a quote from AN ADAM SANDLER MOVIE is about as clear an indication of your intelligence as one can give.
Old 10-16-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. When are you people going to realize that you're not entitled to your opinions regarding this new "Queen" configuration? You're only allowed to post in Mr. Allred's Queen threads if you wholeheartedly agree with his opinions regarding the collaboration of Queen and Paul Rodgers. If you say anything to the contrary, he will most assuredly have something to say about it to further bolster his own standpoint, and to show you are wrong...even though one's personal opinion is neither right nor wrong.

And before you disagree, M.A., prove yourself by not contradicting everyone who comes into your threads and makes a statement against this Queen project. Personally, I'm totally against any group as original and unique as Queen continuing without one-half of their original members, especially without Freddie, who many people, including myself, feel WAS Queen...

...and nothing you can say in contradiction will change my feelings about that, so why not just leave it alone and not respond?
Old 10-16-05, 06:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

The fact that your only response is a quote from AN ADAM SANDLER MOVIE is about as clear an indication of your intelligence as one can give.
Enough!

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk