Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queen+ Paul Rodgers "Return of the Champions" DVD - October 18th

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Queen+ Paul Rodgers "Return of the Champions" DVD - October 18th

Old 10-08-05, 05:21 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 593
Queen+ Paul Rodgers "Return of the Champions" DVD - October 18th

I don't know if anyone else has seen it but apparently the US release date for the new DVD is October 18th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Well then, America got the CD before the UK and now the DVD as well. Kooky eh?
Michael Allred is offline  
Old 10-08-05, 07:06 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: teXXXas
Posts: 1,389
I've heard a few tracks, and I just can't stomach Rodgers in Freddie's place. And, shit, I LIKED Bad Company and Free. But this is just garbage. I wouldn't go see them with free tix. Very unfortunate choice....What, George Michael wasn't available???
zombiezilla is offline  
Old 10-09-05, 11:45 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 593
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I've heard a few tracks, and I just can't stomach Rodgers in Freddie's place. And, shit, I LIKED Bad Company and Free. But this is just garbage. I wouldn't go see them with free tix. Very unfortunate choice....What, George Michael wasn't available???
Well that and GM can't sing rock songs, that pretty much excluded him.
Michael Allred is offline  
Old 10-10-05, 07:13 PM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: teXXXas
Posts: 1,389
While I was being mildly facetious in my earlier post about George Michael, his performance w/Queen ("Somebody To Love") on the Freddie tribute DVD was easily one of the highlights of the evening. He probably could have pulled it off fairly easily (certainly leagues better than Rodgers).
zombiezilla is offline  
Old 10-10-05, 11:06 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 593
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
While I was being mildly facetious in my earlier post about George Michael, his performance w/Queen ("Somebody To Love") on the Freddie tribute DVD was easily one of the highlights of the evening. He probably could have pulled it off fairly easily (certainly leagues better than Rodgers).
Well what exactly could GM pull off better than Rodgers? The majority of the set list are rock tunes so what's GM supposed to do?
Michael Allred is offline  
Old 10-11-05, 07:20 AM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: teXXXas
Posts: 1,389
He's closer to Freddie's style than PR's brusque growl. Might as well have fucking Brian Johnson (AC/DC) sing. It might be interesting, but not as melodic as Freddie. GM would have been a better choice.
zombiezilla is offline  
Old 10-12-05, 01:46 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: howell nj
Posts: 4,400
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
He's closer to Freddie's style than PR's brusque growl. Might as well have fucking Brian Johnson (AC/DC) sing. It might be interesting, but not as melodic as Freddie. GM would have been a better choice.
your missing the point....this is not supposed to be a tribute band.if GM was involved,it would sound to much like Queen...

PR takes this in an all new direction,the CD is pretty good,with some keeper tracks...`39(about time BM sings his song)we are the champions sounds better live with PR singing,imho and hammer to fall is great.

reachin out,tie your mother down,love of my life,these are the days of our lives and fat bottom girls are all pretty good.throw them in with,wishing well feel like making love and all right now.

im going to the show and am looking forward to the dvd...

however!if they don`t get in the studio and record a cd ill just loose interest.
tommy28 is offline  
Old 10-13-05, 05:03 PM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: teXXXas
Posts: 1,389
If it's "not supposed to be" like QUEEN was, don't sully the legend by calling it QUEEN. Perhaps they could call it HalfQueen.
zombiezilla is offline  
Old 10-14-05, 06:40 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 593
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
If it's "not supposed to be" like QUEEN was, don't sully the legend by calling it QUEEN. Perhaps they could call it HalfQueen.
It's not Queen, it's "Queen+ Paul Rodgers" so what's the prob?
Michael Allred is offline  
Old 10-14-05, 08:06 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,361
Originally Posted by Michael Allred
It's not Queen, it's "Queen+ Paul Rodgers" so what's the prob?
It's not Queen+Paul Rodgers.

It is Brian May & Roger Taylor + Paul Rodgers.

That's the prob.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 10-14-05, 08:43 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: teXXXas
Posts: 1,389
THANK YOU, brianluvdvd. You seem to grasp the issue well!
zombiezilla is offline  
Old 10-14-05, 09:05 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: howell nj
Posts: 4,400
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
. Might as well have fucking Brian Johnson (AC/DC) sing.
What do you mean"Fucking Brian Johnson(AC/DC)"

why not Angus Young & Malcolm Young + Brian Johnson...
tommy28 is offline  
Old 10-15-05, 03:04 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
If it's "not supposed to be" like QUEEN was, don't sully the legend by calling it QUEEN. Perhaps they could call it HalfQueen.
Meh, Journey without Steve Perry is still Journey.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 10-15-05, 04:41 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 593
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
It's not Queen+Paul Rodgers.

It is Brian May & Roger Taylor + Paul Rodgers.

That's the prob.
What's in a name anyway?

I guess The Eagles aren't REALLY the Eagles, it's just Don Henley and Glenn Frey. Same goes for AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen etc etc etc etc. Hell, if you REALLY want to get technical, "Queen" were never Freddie, Brian, Roger and John anyway, the band had two other bass players perform with them as "Queen" before John joined the group. So now what?



I wish people came up with more legit things to bitch about sometimes.

Last edited by Michael Allred; 10-15-05 at 04:44 PM.
Michael Allred is offline  
Old 10-15-05, 09:34 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,361
Originally Posted by Michael Allred
What's in a name anyway?

I guess The Eagles aren't REALLY the Eagles, it's just Don Henley and Glenn Frey. Same goes for AC/DC, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen etc etc etc etc. Hell, if you REALLY want to get technical, "Queen" were never Freddie, Brian, Roger and John anyway, the band had two other bass players perform with them as "Queen" before John joined the group. So now what?



I wish people came up with more legit things to bitch about sometimes.
Mr. Allred, "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I will leave it at that.
Spiderbite is offline  
Old 10-15-05, 11:24 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 593
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Mr. Allred, "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

I will leave it at that.
The fact that your only response is a quote from AN ADAM SANDLER MOVIE is about as clear an indication of your intelligence as one can give.
Michael Allred is offline  
Old 10-16-05, 10:39 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,417
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. When are you people going to realize that you're not entitled to your opinions regarding this new "Queen" configuration? You're only allowed to post in Mr. Allred's Queen threads if you wholeheartedly agree with his opinions regarding the collaboration of Queen and Paul Rodgers. If you say anything to the contrary, he will most assuredly have something to say about it to further bolster his own standpoint, and to show you are wrong...even though one's personal opinion is neither right nor wrong.

And before you disagree, M.A., prove yourself by not contradicting everyone who comes into your threads and makes a statement against this Queen project. Personally, I'm totally against any group as original and unique as Queen continuing without one-half of their original members, especially without Freddie, who many people, including myself, feel WAS Queen...

...and nothing you can say in contradiction will change my feelings about that, so why not just leave it alone and not respond?
The Infidel is offline  
Old 10-16-05, 06:50 PM
  #18  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Originally Posted by Michael Allred
The fact that your only response is a quote from AN ADAM SANDLER MOVIE is about as clear an indication of your intelligence as one can give.
Enough!


Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk
benedict is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.