Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Musicians tell how to beat system - CNN News Article

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Musicians tell how to beat system - CNN News Article

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Fine. Enjoy being ripped off by the record companies.

Or just go without music (something many of us just can't do).
I don't have to worry about that, none of my favorite artists use copy protection. Then again, I don't listen to "hot" bands like Life of Agony or Switchfoot.
Old 10-07-05, 05:16 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
It's just a matter of time before record companies bring out this format which is 100% protected from digital copying:
There is actually technology available now that will record the grooves on the record and interpret them as digital data on a computer. I have no idea how to get access to it, but it's out there.
Old 10-07-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dogmatica
There is actually technology available now that will record the grooves on the record and interpret them as digital data on a computer. I have no idea how to get access to it, but it's out there.
I have several mp3s that were ripped from records (because they haven't been released on CD) that sound very good. Without pointing out the fact that the source was a record, most would assume that the album was just recorded on the cheap. A good record player, a high quality sound card and some mild noise reduction work wonders.
Old 10-07-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I don't have to worry about that, none of my favorite artists use copy protection. Then again, I don't listen to "hot" bands like Life of Agony or Switchfoot.
Oh my God! Yr so indie!!!
Old 10-07-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
So does that mean if one has a Mac, you can rip it like a normal disc? I've passed on the Foo Fighters disc several times because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to rip it with the rest of my library.
That is NOT TRUE of all Macs. My 1.5 GHz 15" PB will not even recognize the newest Ben Folds CD.
Old 10-07-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Applejack
Oh my God! Yr so indie!!!
Hardly. The last CD I bought was a Bob Dylan cd. I just don't listen to bands that use copy protection.
Old 10-08-05, 06:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.elpj.com/about/

Originally Posted by dogmatica

Not quite what you were talking about but presumably employing similar technology.

On a side-note: all parties posting here need to ensure that they:
a) stay within Geoff's guidelines on copyright matters, and
b) remain civil.
Old 10-08-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
That is NOT TRUE of all Macs. My 1.5 GHz 15" PB will not even recognize the newest Ben Folds CD.
Songs for Silverman? I have the DualDisc and ripped it successfully with an old eMac. I wasn't even aware that had copy protection.

But will a Mac rip these new discs like Foo Fighters that are clearly labeled on the front?
Old 10-08-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
Songs for Silverman? I have the DualDisc and ripped it successfully with an old eMac. I wasn't even aware that had copy protection.

But will a Mac rip these new discs like Foo Fighters that are clearly labeled on the front?
My guess is that it depends on your specific CD/DVD drive.

I have the DD; it ripped fine in a friend's G4 PowerMac, but not my PB - the drive ejects it. My first DD was the first time that happened in the 700+ CDs I've ripped into iTunes. The case does have the ". . . disc does not conform to CD specifications . . ." warning on the back in fine print.

I will never buy a non-redbook CD again. Fool me once and all that.