Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Albums you didn't care for at first, but ended up LOVING

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Albums you didn't care for at first, but ended up LOVING

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Pink Floyd - Animals. Don't know what I was thinking.
Old 07-25-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll agree with Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come and Weezer - Pinkerton, and add these:

At The Drive-In - Relationship Of Command: I liked "One Armed Scissor" so I went out and bought it only to find it the only song I actually liked on the album. I skipped the chance to see them here in Seattle, which turned out to be the last time they'd come through here. I gave it another spin after I'd heard about their "indefinite hiatus" and loved it.

The Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island, Burn: I bought this one based on a very positive review I'd read. Hadn't heard anything from it, but they're from Seattle, so I thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd never given up on a new CD as quickly as I did this. The shrieking vocals and sheer chaos of it all really put me off. But about a year later, I saw them play with Against Me! and they won me over. It was weird, like seeing them live just made the music make sense. I like Crimes a lot more than this one, but I definitely enjoy this one a lot now.
Old 07-26-06, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prince - 3121, at first I was like.. "dude should hang it up," and now it's #3 on my list of his albums.
Common - Electric Circus took me about a year to like it, and I still don't listen to it much, but when I'm in a certain mood it's the best album in the world.
John Mayer - Heavier Things - guess I was expecting Room for Squares part deux at first
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides - I was 14 when this first came out and I instantly liked Ms. Fat Booty and the catchiness of New World Water, but it took a couple years for me to really get and appreciate everything. Now it's my favourite hip hop album ever
Mos Def - The New Danger - Same as Electric Circus

I would actually second MJ's Invincible except for the fact that there are still a good 5 or so songs that I consistently skip, and I can't really say I love an ALBUM unless I'm skipping max. 2. But the songs that are good, I think are awesome, and just beautifully crafted stuff that does grow on you. Probably should have been a 10 or 11 song album.