Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Depeche Mode's "Playing the Angel" : Brilliant!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Depeche Mode's "Playing the Angel" : Brilliant!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Also I used to skip darkest star and macrovision..but those have grown on me..

10 out of 12 songs I like..plus Free, the b-side.
Old 10-23-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a fantastic album. Upon each listen, another track becomes a favorite. Currently it's SUFFER WELL. I can't get enough of that track. This album beats the hell out of Exciter. However, I don't know if it will surpass Ultra in my book. I'll have to give it a few more months to determine that.
Old 10-23-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What could I expect if I go see them live in a few weeks? I struggle mightily paying more than $50 for a ticket and I'm thinking of getting $74 seats for two. I really like DM's new album and pretty much everything up to "Violator". I know from that "101" album that they are supposed to be decent live... just not sure.

I'm paying $15 per ticket today to see Buddy Miller, Giant Sand and Victoria Williams/Mark Olson. Incredible talent for MUCH less. A show like this makes me have a hard time going to see arena shows.
Old 10-23-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Five out of five star review from The Sun (UK)

For a group whose nine lives were well and truly used up about a decade ago, Playing The Angel is a return to form for one of the coolest bands we've ever had.

Losing their way with 1997's Ultra and 2001's Exciter albums, Depeche Mode sound like they're enjoying making music together again.

Opening track, A Pain That I'm Used To, takes you back to their 1993 Songs Of Faith And Devotion period. Loud, dark and indestructible.

John The Revelator is like no other Depeche Mode song. A raw and furious throbbing gospel-like track. Singer Dave Gahan told sftw: 'That track is one of my favourites. It's a song that really sticks out of the box of what we do.' Playing The Angel marks Dave's debut as a Depeche songwriter and one of his three, Suffer Well, really stands out. Swirling dreamy synths set off against pounding drums and Daves unmissable vocals.

Sublime single Precious and the mind bending The Darkest Star are also worth a mention, while Macro is the only track that slightly dissapoints.

Playing The Angel will be up with Violator, Black celebration and Music For The Masses as a Depeche great. Welcome back.
Old 10-23-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Five out of five star review from The Sun (UK)

Losing their way with 1997's Ultra ...
Hey let's not get crazy, I know some DM fans were kind of weird with that album when it came out, but it's arguably one of their best ever. Just because they went with a more "rock band" sound doesn't equal sh*t.

Barrel Of A Gun, Home, It's No Good, Useless & Sister Of Night are classics.

The rest of the album's pretty good, too, The Bottom Line being a personal fave. Heck I think it's safe to say that I like more songs on ULTRA than I did on SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION, although just barely (maybe by 1 or 2 songs).
Old 10-23-05, 12:18 PM

It all good, i have been fan since high school (1985) it a must have cd.
Then pick-up the new one from new order these guys just get better with age.
Now when is that new cd from interpol coming out "there my fav new band".
Old 10-23-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darqleo
Hey let's not get crazy, I know some DM fans were kind of weird with that album when it came out, but it's arguably one of their best ever. Just because they went with a more "rock band" sound doesn't equal sh*t.

Barrel Of A Gun, Home, It's No Good, Useless & Sister Of Night are classics.

The rest of the album's pretty good, too, The Bottom Line being a personal fave. Heck I think it's safe to say that I like more songs on ULTRA than I did on SONGS OF FAITH AND DEVOTION, although just barely (maybe by 1 or 2 songs).
Yeah, I didn't agree with that "Ultra" comment either. I think it's one of DM's best albums. No fan of "SOFAD" though. I liked "Exciter" when it came out. But over time feel it was an extremely weak effort. They have rebounded beautifully with "Playing the Angel" IMO. Feels like 1990 all over again
Old 10-23-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I also don't get why people hate Ultra so much. They had some really great and strong songs on that album. It's No Good is easily one of their best.
Old 10-23-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not sure how ANYONE could hate on 'Ultra'. There is not a single song on that album that I skip, not to mention I think 'Barrel of a Gun' is one of the best Depeche Mode songs ever .
Old 10-24-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i feel like i should be ashamed, but when i think about it, ULTRA is easily my favorite DM album. and i like them all.
Old 10-24-05, 10:05 AM

I'm also a big fan of Ultra. BOAG rocks.
Old 10-24-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "Ultra"......not to mention it boasts THE best Martin on lead vocals song. "Home". Nuff said.
Old 10-24-05, 11:04 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never did understand the scorn that Ultra had either.

I enjoy the entire CD. Home is just such an emotional song, easily one of my favorites.
Old 10-24-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
What could I expect if I go see them live in a few weeks? I struggle mightily paying more than $50 for a ticket and I'm thinking of getting $74 seats for two. I really like DM's new album and pretty much everything up to "Violator". I know from that "101" album that they are supposed to be decent live... just not sure.

I'm paying $15 per ticket today to see Buddy Miller, Giant Sand and Victoria Williams/Mark Olson. Incredible talent for MUCH less. A show like this makes me have a hard time going to see arena shows.

Do it, DM was a pioneering band.

And it was also said that DM would play some really old songs (speak and spell anyone?)

They usually sing 21 or 22 songs. Fairly good. Hopefully they skip exciter.
Old 10-24-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Other than the 5.1 mix on the deluxe version, are there any other significant extras that warrant a purchase? I'm definitely getting the CD, but just don't know which version to pony up for.
Old 10-24-05, 10:07 PM

there is the precious vid, "clean" acoustic style vid and a making of interview type thing, and various photos...I'd hook up with the 5.1, there isn't too much of a price difference in most stores.
Old 10-24-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jippy
Other than the 5.1 mix on the deluxe version, are there any other significant extras that warrant a purchase? I'm definitely getting the CD, but just don't know which version to pony up for.
Theres a dvd.. I think..
Old 10-25-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Initially listened to this all the way through at the gym last week and loved it. Sounded great through headphones. Really digging this album.

Originally Posted by TripWire
I'd hook up with the 5.1, there isn't too much of a price difference in most stores.
Usually, I go for the "special edition" if the content warrants it, but chose not to for this one. First week, BB had the regular one for $10 and the limited for $22. I don't have a 5.1 set up (yet), so I bought the former - money's kind of tight now. Maybe I'll upgrade at some point in the future when I get a home theater.
Old 10-26-05, 12:10 PM

Love the whole disc but especially "Nothing's Impossible," which is one of the best songs I've ever heard by anyone. I wish it went on for 24 mins. instead of 4. I can't think of another DM song quite like it - "In Your Room" is probably closest IMO.

Can anyone recommend groups that have entire CDs that sound like "Nothing's Impossible?" Thanks.

-- Jim
Old 10-26-05, 02:19 PM

You should check out Camouflage "Sensor" , I think that album is import only but can be found around file sharing services. Sounds a lot like Depeche Mode, and great all around album.

Originally Posted by Stats
Can anyone recommend groups that have entire CDs that sound like "Nothing's Impossible?" Thanks.

-- Jim
Old 10-27-05, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by TripWire
You should check out Camouflage "Sensor" , I think that album is import only but can be found around file sharing services. Sounds a lot like Depeche Mode, and great all around album.
Thanks. I have "Voices and Images" from Camouflage and love it but it's very poppy (not in a bad way). But it looks from the reviews like "Sensor" is heavier and more industrial but not overly so - I'll have to check it out (except I don't do the mp3 thing - I feel like such a Luddite ).

Thanks again.

-- Jim
Old 10-28-05, 01:03 PM

I disagree with sherm42's opinion of "Damaged People." It's a fine song if you like most of Martin's previous vocals. I happen to be compiling a mix of my favorite Gore and Gore-sung DM tracks and "Damaged People" is going on there, although "Macro" is not.

I bought the CD/DVD set at Newbury Comics, a New England chain, for $19 and change. For me, having the 5.1 DTS mix and the "Precious" video is worth and extra $6.

Since hearing "Precious" on Smallville, I still haven't gotten it out of my head, which isn't a bad thing.
Old 10-28-05, 06:07 PM

I agree about Damaged People - very good Martin vocal track. Macro has grown on me a little bit, but I'm still not that big of a fan.
Old 10-29-05, 12:58 PM

Hey if anyone is looking for the best depeche mode sounds alike there is the one and only CAUSE & EFFECT there still around (( 1991 )).
There current music is a on-line only EP check it out.
Got the depeche mode playing the angel cd/dvd the other day love that verison of clean bare i think there is a mp3 of that around net somewere.
Old 10-29-05, 05:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
At the moment, I still think Exciter is better than Playing The Angel. I happen to like almost all of Exciter.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.