Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Was the 1980s the Best Decade for Music?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Was the 1980s the Best Decade for Music?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best is the 80's """ WORST IS THE 50'S OVERRATED """ i like 60's alot but LOVE THE 70'S ( i was born in 1970 ) as for 90's underrated come people give it little love
PS: the 80's was the boom of rap it's best rapper came out in that time here is short list or one may say the best of best.
ERIC.B RAKIM ( RAKIM IS THE MASTER,BEST THERE IS AND EVER WILL BE.)
Public Enemy
Boogie Down Productions
Slick Rick (yes i know Doug Fresh and Get Fresh Crew)
Run-DMC
EPMD
Big Daddy Kane
Biz markie
N.W.A
Gang Starr
that just some there more but that will do.
Old 10-11-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tarnower
Although I don't feel the 80s was the best decade for music (that would be the 70s, IMHO), it certainly produced some incredibly talented artists/bands. I mean, any decade that produces Talking Heads (which is criminally absent from any of the previous posts in this thread)
...of their four best albums, three were released in the seventies and the fourth in 1980.
Old 10-11-05, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
...of their four best albums, three were released in the seventies and the fourth in 1980.
Yes, I know. However, much of their notoriety came in the 80s (Speaking in Tongues, Stop Making Sense, True Stories; partly due to the advent of MTV and their quirky videos). The Clash's "London Calling" could also be labeled as a product of the 70s, since it was released in 79. But that LP really made its mark in the 80s. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Rolling Stone magazine actually deemed it as best LP of the 1980s at one point. Same scenario for Prince. He debuted in the 70s, but made his mark in the 80s.
Old 10-11-05, 08:54 PM

I'll battle Starship's "We Built This City" with Ultravox's "The Thin Wall" any day of the week.
Oooh, daring. Why not set yourself up for an easy victory against say, !aaah-aH, yawA eM ekaT ot gnimoC er'yehT until you build your confidence up?

much of their notoriety came in the 80s
Only if you consider notoriety synonymous with 'commercially successful'...

I believe Rolling Stone magazine actually deemed it as best LP of the 1980s
Stop the Madness now before its too late, otherwise we can lump in The Stooges with the 70s, etc. etc. One bloated rag's mistake doesn't have to rule our lives!!

Still waiting for someone to mention The Go-Betweens...(in a good way of course).

Cordially,
Tim
Old 10-12-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

tough to pick a decade, unless I can go 65-75 and 85-95. I think those were the best 20 years of music.
Old 10-12-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Oooh. Nice. I mentioned 65-75. 85-95 is a damn solid follow up. Early 90s were gold, late 90s were lead.
Old 10-12-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I think some great music came out in the late 70's/early 80's (although it took a until the 80s for any of it to get on the radio), after Disco started to die. There was lots of overproduced "Rock" crap like Styx, but lots of good stuff too.

And the Talking Heads best 3 albums (IMO) came out in the 70's, and I owned them all before the 80's, so no way I consider them an 80's band just because they got some mainstream popularity then.
Old 10-20-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Ive been listening to IT on XM (they play every Top 40 hit plus some Top 100 from 1930 - 1999 in chronological order, it takes almost 2 months) and I realized something that I never knew before:

I love 90's rock alot better than the 80's, BUT I consider the 80's better overall for music because, as I now see, theres a period between '81 and '86 where there was ABSOLUTLY no bad R&B clogging up the airwaves...NONE!

If you take the top bands of each decade then the 80's gets crushed...but look at the 70's, THERE WAS SOME HORRIBLE SHIT ON THE RADIO, the 90's is so fucking clogged with bad Jodeci that I almost cannt listen to get to the Nirvana or Pearl Jam, the 60's is almost dominated by bubblegum horseshit.

But listen to that period between '81 and '86...just quality nuwave and rock with very rare horseshit.
Old 01-05-06, 04:08 AM
En vacance

The 80s owned music it's not even funny. 60s and before were pretty good too.

90s sucked ass, when all the metal died and was replaced by boybands, pop, gangsta rap-bye bye bye. shit.
Old 01-08-06, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by cactusoly
Judas Priest, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Motley Crue, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, all put out there best albums in the 80s. Black Sabbath and Deep Purple also put out some Classics. AC/DC Back in Black and Def Leppard Pyromania and GnR Appitite for Destruction were the best selling hard rock albums of alll time... the 80's were great!
Absofragginlutely!

Judas Priest: British Steel, Screaming For Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith
Iron Maiden: Killers, Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules, Born Again, The Eternal Idol
Megadeth: Killing is My Business, Peace Sells
Metallica: Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice For All
AC/DC: Back In Black, For Those About To Rock, Flick of the Switch

...the list just goes on and on and on for the great Hard Rock and Heavy Metal albums that came out in the 80's.

A GREAT decade for music.

The 70's were great (it was the end of the time where the artists had a reasonable amount of control, and just before music industry became totally corporate), but the 70's also featured a LOT of absolute garbage in the top 40; the 60's were great, but the psychedelia of the late 60's really brings that decade down, IMO; the 90's generally sucked, as do the 00's.