Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend some DVD-Audio titles for a newbie?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I recently got a sound card with DVD-A decoding and was wondering what the blow-you-away reference DVD-Audio titles were. In contrast, have you experienced any underwhelming, "why bother?" titles?
Old 09-29-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 666 Posts
I have several DVD-A discs and the two best are:

The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots 5.1 - a must if you own a dvd-a. It is by far the greatest dvd-a I have heard. Buy it now.

Beck: Sea Change - in my opinion his best album and it sound even better on dvd-a. It gets the most plays out of any of my discs.

Queen's mix of A Night At The Opera is outstanding and really made the album seem new to me. And this is one album I know backwards and forwards. The Game also sounds really good.

I like The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds but many people compained about the mix.

Others that I have that are good are Eagles: Hotel California, Fleetwood Mac: Rumours and Elvis Presley: 30 #1 Hits.

Every disc pales in comparison after listening to the Flaming Lips/Yoshimi. Trust me.

I have others but those are the best. I hate to say it but I love the format but hardly ever listen to DVD-A anymore.
Old 09-29-05, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots 5.1 - a must if you own a dvd-a. It is by far the greatest dvd-a I have heard. Buy it now.

Beck: Sea Change - in my opinion his best album and it sound even better on dvd-a. It gets the most plays out of any of my discs.
Both of these are definate must buys.
Old 09-29-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I like The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds but many people compained about the mix.
I have that, but I don't think I would recommend it if you already have the CD. The stereo mix is much better than the 5.1 IMHO. It does have a nice little documentary, but it's also available on the Pet Sounds Sessions boxed set.

The only other one I have is "Automatic for the People" by R.E.M. It's pretty good.

BTW, if you're going to use WinDVD 7 to listen to them, don't download the latest update. Because of someone figuring out how to save the DVD-A streams, in addition to patching it, they disabled DVD-Audio support.
Old 09-29-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by tor_greg
In contrast, have you experienced any underwhelming, "why bother?" titles?
I forgot to answer this question. I have never heard a DVD-A when listening to the Advanced Resolution track and thought it sounded bad or no different from the cd. They always sound good & better than the cd but some just don't really use the Advanced Resolution sound to its full capabilities. Some that fit that bill in my opinion are:

Stone Temple Pilots: Core
The Doors: L.A. Woman
Metallica: Metallica (aka The Black Album)
Disturbed: Believe
Steely Dan: Everything Must Go & Two Against Nature

Again, none of these sound bad by any means but they won't blow your mind (or at least they didn't blow mine).

A couple of others I forgot to mention that I have:
Beck: Guero is decent.
Linkin Park: Reanimation - it sounds incredible but I would rather have the real albums instead of remixes.
Donald Fagen: The Nightfly & Kamakiriad - both of these sound better than the Steely Dan releases for some odd reason.

Hope that helps. I only spend the money on DVD-As by artists that I really like (unless I find a steal & want to try it out). The only DVD-A I ever bought & ended up getting rid of was a Chicago disc (can't remember which one).

What I learned is no matter how good the music sounds, it you don't like to listen to it, it's not worth buying.
Old 09-29-05, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joey Ramone's "Don't Worry About Me" is my personal favorite. Great songs, excellent sound, very accessible for a new listener and compelling for an old fan.
Old 09-29-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As others have mentioned, Flaming Lips is about as good as it gets, and more extras than you can shake a one-eyed snake at!

Tipper: Surrounded -Electronica/techno/chill-out with aggressive surround involvement. About half the songs are really good, but those alone are worth the purchase, videos included.

Buena Vista Social Club: Old school Latin/Cuban music with great accoustic/percussive surround involvement.

Dishwalla: Opaline- Great Alt/pop with incredibly subtle yet very effective surround ambience.
Old 09-30-05, 08:57 AM

What I learned is no matter how good the music sounds, it you don't like to listen to it, it's not worth buying.
I think that is a great quote. I rarely listen to my Trey Anastasio disc, but I would not say it's not a good quality disc. I probably need to give it another listen. I'm just not a big fan.

Along with the obvious already mentioned Lips and Beck discs, I love my Grateful Dead American Beauty DVD-A, along w/ Workingman's Dead. Ripple will indeed send Ripples up your arm, if the Dead are your thing.

Porcupine Tree's In Absentia is a pretty heavy mix, if you like them. I have not heard the new one yet.

Medeski Martin & Wood's Invisible is great, and in DTS-ES. If you have a rear center, it is a true 6.1 discrete mix, and highly recommended.
Old 10-01-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does any have the Iron Maiden Dance of Death DVD-A ? is it defective in any way?
Old 10-01-05, 04:54 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
does any have the Iron Maiden Dance of Death DVD-A ? is it defective in any way?
I have it and on my copy it has kind of a wierd defect on the surround portion. On all the tracks it switches to the next track a second or 2 early just before the song fades out and the end of the previous song starts up after the 2 second silent spots. It doesn't have this problem on the stereo portion.
Old 10-01-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would reccomend Dishwalla's - Opaline, too. Great audio commentary track from the band, as well.

And, of course, Beck's - Sea Change.

The only other I'd add, that no one else has yet, is Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral. That one really gave my surround system a good workout.
Old 10-02-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have and like:

Al Green - Greatest Hits
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Grateful Dead - American Beauty