Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

No thread on the 'World's First DVD Album'?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Anybody else pick up 'Blame It On The Youth' by The Sun? For those that haven't heard of it, it's being marketed as the 'World's First DVD Album'. Haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet, but I ripped the audio files from the DVD to iTunes and am enjoying the music quite a bit. Most critics seem to like the songs, but are pretty disparaging about having the album released solely on DVD. Until I watch the videos, I can't really comment on if I agree with the decision or just think it's a cheesy marketing ploy, but even if it's solely a gimmick, I don't see justification for the amount of backlash it's getting. I guess it would suck if a fan was really into the band and didn't have access to a DVD player or computer, but are there that many people in that category anymore? Anyway, the Onion's review of the disc seems pretty typical of what I've read from critics, if anyone's curious about it:

http://avclub.com/content/node/40835
Old 09-28-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm about halfway through the videos after having listened to the album several times. Love the music and the videos are surprisingly of high quality. None of 'em are groundbreaking but all are above average videos so far.
Old 09-29-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Anybody else pick up 'Blame It On The Youth' by The Sun? For those that haven't heard of it, it's being marketed as the 'World's First DVD Album'. Haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet, but I ripped the audio files from the DVD to iTunes and am enjoying the music quite a bit. Most critics seem to like the songs, but are pretty disparaging about having the album released solely on DVD. Until I watch the videos, I can't really comment on if I agree with the decision or just think it's a cheesy marketing ploy, but even if it's solely a gimmick, I don't see justification for the amount of backlash it's getting. I guess it would suck if a fan was really into the band and didn't have access to a DVD player or computer, but are there that many people in that category anymore? Anyway, the Onion's review of the disc seems pretty typical of what I've read from critics, if anyone's curious about it:

http://avclub.com/content/node/40835
I'm not sure why my post was edited to cross out the part about ripping the audio files? If this type of thing is usually illegal, this specific DVD actually advertises that the audio files are included as separate files for this specific reason and contains step-by-step directions on how to copy the songs to your computer so that you can burn them to a cd or transfer them to an Ipod or other mp3 player.
Old 09-29-05, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
Green Jello/Jelly, who had a minor hit with "Three Little Pigs" wanted to be the world's first ever video-only band, releasing all their songs via music videos on a VHS called "Cereal Killer."

"Pigs" got MTV airplay and popular demand forced them to actually put out a CD, which was called the cereal Killer "Soundtrack"
Old 09-29-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts
PS: Ripping audio files for CDs you own is 100% legal.
Old 09-29-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure why my post was edited to cross out the part about ripping the audio files? If this type of thing is usually illegal, this specific DVD actually advertises that the audio files are included as separate files for this specific reason and contains step-by-step directions on how to copy the songs to your computer so that you can burn them to a cd or transfer them to an Ipod or other mp3 player.
it seems to be a hip thing to do now, secretly edit people's posts with no explanation. maybe trying to depopulate the forum or something?

on topic, what kind of music is this? i'm on my way to look it up myself. do you like it?
Old 09-29-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes. This has been advertised and reported upon as being a feature of the DVD. The band has openly talked about the ability for the purchaser to rip the album to their computer.

on mods editing posts without giving a reason. It makes it look like the OP edited his own post.

Last edited by auto; 09-29-05 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-29-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
it seems to be a hip thing to do now, secretly edit people's posts with no explanation. maybe trying to depopulate the forum or something?

on topic, what kind of music is this? i'm on my way to look it up myself. do you like it?
I've been through the album twice and it's kind of hard to nail down what I'd compare it to. I'm liking it quite a bit, but it seems to kind of jump all over the place through the rock spectrum. I know it was produced by Ben Hillier and John Goodmanson, who between them have worked with Blur, Doves, Elbow, Sleater-Kinney and Hot Hot Heat. I'd say at different points throughout the album, you could compare it to something by those or a dozen other bands. This site has a sample if you want to give them a listen:

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/musi...498931,00.html
Old 09-29-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting, i'll give it a listen!