Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beastie Boys "Solid Gold Hits" (w/DVD) - Nov 8th

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted on the messageboard over at www.beastieboys.com - and confirmed by Adam Yauch http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=56885

Yauch: no plans for any commentary. the DVD is real simple. just the vids....

wait, i'll find the track listing. ok here it goes:

A: 13.5 min
1 so what cha want
2 brass monkey
3 ch-check it out
4 no sleep ‘til brooklyn

B: 12.3 min
5 hey ladies
6 pass the mic
7 an open letter to nyc

C: 14 min
8 root down
9 shake your rump
10 intergalactic
11 sure shot

D: 14.7
12 body movin’ (fat boy slim remix)
13 triple trouble
14 sabotage
15 fight for your right
Based on the tracklisting, I assume a double vinyl version will be released. The DVD will feature videos for all of the songs on the CD. Since no video was filmed for "Brass Monkey" they will use a live version from the upcoming Madison Square Gardens DVD from their recent tour.

Yauch mentions Capitol wanted a single-disc compilation - so that's the reason for it. Capitol wouldn't release the MSG live DVD unless BBoys released this singles compilation. That said, Yauch indicated that he's fine with the release.

Anyways, only new stuff here is the DVD release of 2 LTI songs and 3 (of 4) videos from their last album.
Old 09-21-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll stick to "a sound of science" 2 disc cd set with a better selection of songs, and the criterion dvd. Nothin says greedy then releasing a singles comp, while there is already a good one out already. (and when does the dvd of the msg concert come out?
Old 09-21-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
A, B, C, D?

Are the songs mixed into four 12-15 minute medleys or something?
Old 09-21-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ooo....videos from the first album. (No Sleep Till Brooklyn!)

Weren't those videos not on the Criterion collection disc?
Old 09-21-05, 03:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UAIOE, I hear ya. That's my main reason for never having bought the Criterion DVD....no first album videos. Hell, I remember a VHS that was out around the first albums' release that had all the promos and some other cool stuff, too. THAT'S what I want. THAT'S when, IMHO, the group were at their peak.
Old 09-21-05, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
and when does the dvd of the msg concert come out?
Last I've heard was early next year. Though it would make sense to release the two at the same time.

Originally Posted by GuessWho
A, B, C, D?

Are the songs mixed into four 12-15 minute medleys or something?
Those are the Sides for the Vinyl edition...Side A / Side B for the first record and Side C / Side D for the second.
Old 09-21-05, 10:24 PM

Per Amazon.com

Old 09-22-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 09-22-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the cover.
Old 09-22-05, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
UAIOE, I hear ya. That's my main reason for never having bought the Criterion DVD....no first album videos. Hell, I remember a VHS that was out around the first albums' release that had all the promos and some other cool stuff, too. THAT'S what I want. THAT'S when, IMHO, the group were at their peak.
Cottington, is that you?? I hope you're kidding about them peaking w/ Licensed to Ill, but I guess everybody has their own opinion. You ought to look up the website that goes into detail about all of the samples and references in Paul's Boutique, which is IMHO is one of the greatest albums, ever, by any artist. But continuing with the opinions thing, I bought a DVD player BECAUSE the Criterion DVD was released. And, actually, there ARE some first album videos on Criterion. Egg Raid on Mojo being one of them. Cooky Puss also came out prior to Licensed to Ill, I believe. Could be wrong about that one, though. Hold it Now Hit it was a great video, and one of my favorite songs on Licensed to Ill. (IMHO, of course.)
Old 09-22-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So is the DVD being released with the CD or is it seperate?

Amazon only lists the CD.
Old 09-22-05, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
duse,

Cottington?!?!? I think not. I listen to everything from the Monkees to Motorhead. But, I do like the "accessability" of that 1st CD. I was, for one, very dissapointed in the lack of singles/anthems on Paul's Boutique.
Old 09-23-05, 08:13 AM

I'm just giving you a hard time, although Polly Wog Stew did technically come out before Licensed to Ill, I was not aware of the Beastie Boys prior to Licensed to Ill either. I was just pointing out to you that there are some videos on Criterion from Polly Wog Stew, just not Licensed to Ill.

I've always looked at Paul's as a listening experience more than an individual album, especially since "B-Boy Bouillabaisse" flows back into "To All the Girls" if you hit replay on your CD player.

I would disagree with you, though, that there are no anthems on Paul's. "Hey Ladies" is THE anthem of all anthems. A great album does not need any "singles" to be a great album.

I remember the band in interviews around the time the Criterion dvd came out about how they were embarassed about that whole Licensed period, where they sought out to lampoon the whole frat boy thing, and became what they were once making fun of. Do yourself a favor and pick up that Criterion DVD. It's is days worth of enjoyment through muliple angles and remixes.

Here's a link to the page I was too lazy to post to yesterday:
http://www.moire.com/beastieboys/samples/index.php
Old 09-24-05, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
So is the DVD being released with the CD or is it seperate?

Amazon only lists the CD.
There will be a:
  • CD
  • CD/DVD
  • Vinyl