Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Time Magazine: New McCartney album is best since the Beatles

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Time Magazine: New McCartney album is best since the Beatles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-05, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe this is produced by Nigel Godrich, who's done some of my favorite albums of the last few years (the last 4 Radioheads, Beck's "Mutations" and "Sea Change")
Old 09-12-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fallfan
I believe this is produced by Nigel Godrich, who's done some of my favorite albums of the last few years (the last 4 Radioheads, Beck's "Mutations" and "Sea Change")

It is. Apparently Goodrich had Paul work in a totally different way and made him not use his regular band. It takes a few listens to catch on but then so do all those albums you listed.
Old 09-12-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Nigel Godrich=Win
Old 09-12-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wendersfan
You mean www.bearnews.com/updates/?

Sure, sign up!

Actually, the correct URL is Resources for Bears

Old 09-12-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I gave it a listen and on first listen, I was not that impressed. I'll give it another listen or two before I decide for good.
Old 09-15-05, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Well, I haven't gotten around to picking up this album yet. And apparently Sir Paul knows it, since I received not one, not two, but THREE seperate emails in two different accounts about the album. I'm not in any Paul or Beatles fan clubs or newsletters. Spooky, really.
OK, I did buy concert tickets online, but still it feels sorta like stalking.

Any other toughts on the album? How about the special edition? Is it worth the extra $8 or so for the DVD? (I've never seen a Paul McCartney DVD that was worth $8, so I'm curious)
Old 09-15-05, 08:11 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by movieking
I gave it a listen and on first listen, I was not that impressed. I'll give it another listen or two before I decide for good.
Ditto. It took me a couple of listens before I thought anything on Flaming Pie was good, but so far, the only tune from this one that's in my head at all is Friends To Go.

Too Much Rain had so much potential to rock, but McCartney's no longer interested in rocking.

Last edited by lotsofdvds; 09-15-05 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-15-05, 03:19 PM

I think 'Fine Line', 'Jenny Wren', and especially 'Anyway' are all awesome. A couple others are decent/good but the rest are skippable.
Old 09-16-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
If it's produced by Jeff Lynne, I'm in. If not...no thanks.
Jeff Lynne's production is so overbearing. I still believe the only reason he was allowed to be a Wilbury was because he had secret photos of the rest of the guys engaged in a gay orgy.
Old 09-16-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
Jeff Lynne's production is so overbearing. I still believe the only reason he was allowed to be a Wilbury was because he had secret photos of the rest of the guys engaged in a gay orgy.
Yeah...I guess that is why he brought Roy Orbison, George Harrison & Tom Petty's careers back from the dead along with being chosen over George Martin to produce The Beatles "reunion" recordings. Must have been the gay photos.
Old 09-18-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Too Much Rain had so much potential to rock, but McCartney's no longer interested in rocking.
Catch one his upcoming live shows and you'll see that is not the case. McCartney chose not to rock out on this album but that's part of its charm for me. It showcases his unique talent for melody without the cheese of many of his previous solo works. He put alot of heart and soul into this one as you can tell from his increased effort on the lyrics as well as his playing all of the instruments. Anyway, it's worth the price of admission just to take in those Hofner bass lines for me.
Old 09-18-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
How about the special edition? Is it worth the extra $8 or so for the DVD? (I've never seen a Paul McCartney DVD that was worth $8, so I'm curious)
Given that you don't sound like a completist I'd say it probably wouldn't be worth it for you. It's mostly a documentary about the making of the album that you wouldn't stick in the player more than once.
Old 10-09-05, 09:49 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Awesome. I have tics to see him next month and was hoping the new album wouldn't suck.
Went to the show last night, the new stuff was excellent live.

Fantastic concert in general, easily the best I've seen. Topping Coldplay last week. Great week and 1 day of concerts for me, to see my top two in 8 days.
Old 10-10-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen Macca three times over the years and am a long time Beatlefreak. I bought the new CD (and own every McCartney post-Beatles CD) but have yet to give it a listen.....guess I'm afraid it will be of "Driving Rain" caliber. Flaming Pie would have been a wonderful album to have given us as his swan song. As it's Paulie, though, I'll have to hope for the best!