DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Iron Maiden & Sharron Osbourne conflict at Ozzfest. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/434963-iron-maiden-sharron-osbourne-conflict-ozzfest.html)

zombiezilla 08-30-05 04:43 PM

I'd love to see a class-action suit organized by everyone who has a ticket stub from the show, resulting in one of two things (at Sharon's expense, of course, and whichever is MOST EXPENSIVE for her to pull off):

A) A partial refund of each ticket to each attendee.

B) A new show at the same venue with Iron Maiden headlining, P.A. of their choosing (opening acts at their discretion).

Giantrobo 08-30-05 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Xander
I don't think Bruce owes Sharon an apology for making fun of "The Osbournes". She should be apologizing for making the show in the first place. Plus, everyone gets fun poked at them every now and then. It doesn't mean you should retaliate during a concert like a huge bint, IMO.

Back on topic. I don't care about Bruce apologizing to Sharon. Although to be honest they probably should apologize to each other. Sharon for being an immature and unprofessional manager, and Bruce for running his mouth at the wrong time and provoking a crazy woman.

Either way, the real issues is that Bruce <i>and</i> Sharon owe <B>FANS</b> an apology...

B5Erik 08-30-05 09:52 PM

I don't think Bruce owes anyone an apology. He was simply stating his opinion with a very dry sense of humor. Bruce has a very British sense of humor, and Sharon should damned well get it since she is British herself. The problem is that she's very thin skinned and can't handle ANY criticism or jokes at her (or Ozzy's) expense.

She needs to realize that EVERYONE who watched The Osbournes made fun of Ozzy. EVERYONE. Why should Bruce be expected to be any different?

Sharon has a history of retaliating in an unethical manner. (Just ask Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake - who she still owes money to, and whose performances SHE had removed from the first two Ozzy albums when they demanded in court that she pay them!)

mndtrp 08-31-05 12:43 AM

Stolen from Blabbermouth.com.

Sharon Osbourne spoke exclusively to Kerrang! magazine (web site) last week regading IRON MAIDEN's final performance on this year's Ozzfest tour, during which she cut MAIDEN's power and arranged to have the band pelted with eggs and debris from the crowd. A couple of excerpts from the interview follow:

Kerrang!: Reading between the lines of [IRON MAIDEN manager] Rod Smallwood's statement, the unspoken suggestion is that you orchestrated this whole thing...

Sharon Osbourne: "Of course I did. I had the PA turned on and off. And look, it's not hard for someone to walk into a diehard Ozzfest crowd and say, 'Who wants to throw an egg at a rock star?' Who wouldn't wanna do that? I went out and bought 50 eggs and me and my daughter had a fucking blast. C'mon, it's rock 'n' roll. No-one died. They'll be waiting a long fucking time for an apology from me."

Kerrang!: The most astonishing thing about all this is that the metal world has always had such camaraderie, such a "one for all, all for one" attitude...

Sharon Osbourne: "It has, right? But for some reason Bruce Dickinson [IRON MAIDEN singer] seemed to view it as a battle of the bands. He'd stand up on that stage and say that this wasn't the Ozzfest anymore, it was MAIDEN-fest. How fucking disrespectful is that? He's got such an '80s mentality. He's up there saying, 'Fuck MTV and fuck radio and you wouldn't catch IRON MAIDEN doing a reality show' and it's like, 'Hang on, you're a shareholder in Sanctuary, which is one of the biggest corporations in the music business.' He's never said a word about SABBATH either, only Ozzy, so it's personal. We've had 220 bands play this tour over the last 10 years and I've never felt the need to egg anyone."

Kerrang!: Up to this point you’re being painted as the "Wicked Witch" here, Sharon...

Sharon Osbourne: "I'm as nice as can be to people until they fuck with me and my family. I've always said that. I'm surprised that after everything that's been reported about how protective I am of my husband that anyone would even be shocked by this."

Kerrang!: Saying things like this could make this run and run...

Sharon Osbourne: "Not for me. We have Ozzfest shows to do so I'm not thinking about this anymore. Bruce Dickhead doesn't exist to me anymore."

Sharon Osbourne's entire interview with Kerrang! can be found in the magazine's latest issue, out on the stands tomorrow (August 31).
Well, I for one wouldn't want to throw something at a rock star. Some people get carried away, though, and the alcohol doesn't help. I hope that several bands speak out about how they feel on this subject.

Giantrobo 08-31-05 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I don't think Bruce owes anyone an apology. He was simply stating his opinion with a very dry sense of humor. Bruce has a very British sense of humor, and Sharon should damned well get it since she is British herself. The problem is that she's very thin skinned and can't handle ANY criticism or jokes at her (or Ozzy's) expense.

I disagree. It wasn't just a "joke" or " British humor". It was Bruce, in typical "Bruce fashion", attacking the mainstream. That's all good but don't expect the target of your disdain will always just sit ahd take your shit without reacting.

She needs to realize that EVERYONE who watched The Osbournes made fun of Ozzy. EVERYONE.
I agree.

Why should Bruce be expected to be any different?
You really can't see why it was unwise for him to start shit at OZZFEST? With Sharon "bitch" Osborne right there to hear him talk shit about her family?

Sharon has a history of retaliating in an unethical manner. (Just ask Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake - who she still owes money to, and whose performances SHE had removed from the first two Ozzy albums when they demanded in court that she pay them!)
You keep telling us that.
Yeah we know she's a vengeful bitch, everyone knows it...SHARON ADMITS TO IT... but apparently BRUCE does not have a clue and that's why his "jokes", started a shitstorm.

Again, I'll always side with Maiden over Ozzfest. But stupid is stupid. It's like opening for Maiden and talking shit about groups with 3 guitar players in between your songs. It's just stupid.

johnbook 08-31-05 02:23 AM

Lately i've noticed that the kid's out there in the metal world are starting to see iron maiden as there great classic metal band, i work at a middle school and since school has started this week i've noticed iron maiden written on chalkboards and there folders and even saw a kid wearing a jean jacket with a huge eddie "trooper" patch on the back, "man did that put a smile on my face" when i was getting into metal growing up in the 80's it was led zeppelin that was the cool classic band then i noticed in the 90's it changed to black sabbath & somewhat metallica in the later 90's & new millenium, so i guess seeing what kind of person sharon osbourne is this has probaly pissed her off a tad. UP THE IRONS... :hairpull: :rock: :rimshot:

Flashback 08-31-05 10:29 AM

Sharon Osbourne: "Of course I did. I had the PA turned on and off. And look, it's not hard for someone to walk into a diehard Ozzfest crowd and say, 'Who wants to throw an egg at a rock star?' Who wouldn't wanna do that? I went out and bought 50 eggs and me and my daughter had a fucking blast. C'mon, it's rock 'n' roll. No-one died. They'll be waiting a long fucking time for an apology from me."
That right there is total BS. You do not purposely ruin the show,ever, for fans who have paid a lot of money to see a band/show. If she did not like Maiden, then she should have just kicked them off the tour and be done with it. But she continues to call him a dick, monkey boy and "sucking Dio's cock?" ... let it go woman.

He's got a great voice but he's obviously been sucking Ronnie James Dio's cock for singing lessons. He goes on about being a pilot and a swordsman and an author and whatever - does he think he's better than everyone else? If he's such a swordsman maybe he should have fenced the eggs out of his way! I should have thrown bananas..."

Giantrobo 08-31-05 02:25 PM

... does he think he's better than everyone else?
:lol:

Doesn't <b>Henry Rollins</b> have a bit about how Iron Maiden and Bruce think they're smarter than other bands because they write songs about books. :lol:

Flashback 09-01-05 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
:lol:

Doesn't <b>Henry Rollins</b> have a bit about how Iron Maiden and Bruce think they're smarter than other bands because they write songs about books. :lol:

Don't get me started on Hank. Used to like him (and he did some written work with a bud of mine) but his ego has been growing too much for a long time now.

B5Erik 09-01-05 10:05 PM

Giantrobo - You know how Bruce is, if something or someone is stupid or ridiculous he will ridicule it/them. It's always done with a very dry sense of humor - he's poking fun at them. He never mentioned Ozzy by name, and you could easily lump INXS, Gene Simmons, Tommy Lee, and a host of others in the same group of "rock stars" that he was taking a shot at. I don't think that Gene Simmons would have orchestrated an egg-throwing or anything else that would affect the fans' enjoyment of a show - he might have told Bruce to knock it off or he'd find himself off the tour, but he wouldn't go any further than that. Sharon behaved literally like a spoiled child who was having a tantrum. Bruce just foolishly thought that if she had a problem with his comments she'd be professional enough to take it up with him.

He should have known better than that. I will grant you that, but it still doesn't come close to putting any of the blame on him. He might have even cut out a couple of the comments if Sharon had the integrity to tell him that those remarks bothered her and to knock it off. She didn't. She just made her plans for Maiden's final show instead.

One thing that hasn't been brought up, but has me wondering - with all of Sharon's public belittling of Iron Maiden's recent tours and albums (all of which have been successful, by the way), I wonder if she maybe had treated the band as beneath her and Ozzy during the tour - precipitating some of Bruce's comments. Knowing her it is certainly possible.

Giantrobo 09-02-05 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Giantrobo - You know how Bruce is, if something or someone is stupid or ridiculous he will ridicule it/them. It's always done with a very dry sense of humor - he's poking fun at them. He never mentioned Ozzy by name, and you could easily lump INXS, Gene Simmons, Tommy Lee, and a host of others in the same group of "rock stars" that he was taking a shot at. I don't think that Gene Simmons would have orchestrated an egg-throwing or anything else that would affect the fans' enjoyment of a show - he might have told Bruce to knock it off or he'd find himself off the tour, but he wouldn't go any further than that. Sharon behaved literally like a spoiled child who was having a tantrum. Bruce just foolishly thought that if she had a problem with his comments she'd be professional enough to take it up with him.

He should have known better than that. I will grant you that, but it still doesn't come close to putting any of the blame on him. He might have even cut out a couple of the comments if Sharon had the integrity to tell him that those remarks bothered her and to knock it off. She didn't. She just made her plans for Maiden's final show instead.

One thing that hasn't been brought up, but has me wondering - with all of Sharon's public belittling of Iron Maiden's recent tours and albums (all of which have been successful, by the way), I wonder if she maybe had treated the band as beneath her and Ozzy during the tour - precipitating some of Bruce's comments. Knowing her it is certainly possible.

We will agree to disagree on placing some blame on Bruce and his "dry wit". Either way, you bring up an interesting point about Sharon looking down on Maiden.