Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else pickup 'Live From Baonnaroo 2004'?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-20-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked this up today for 6.95 used. The cover lists it as 16:9 which to me means anamorphic. Imagine my disappointment when the picture popped up on my widescreen TV with black bars all around the picture, i.e. non anamorphic. And of course my TV nor DVD player have a manual zoom function. Trust me I've looked for it several times. Oh well. The 5.1 sound is spectacular which I guess is the most important. Although now that I think about it the rears were not used that well so I guess it's more of a 3.1 mix. I guess they mostly used the rears for crowd reaction.

Too bad I was unable to make it to the concert although I've been to my fair share of music festivals.

Here are the artists if anyone is interested:
Disc One:

1. Burning Spear - - Postman
2. My Morning Jacket -- One Big Holiday
3. Los Lonely Boys -- Cottonfields and Crossroads
4. Gillian Welch -- Caleb Meyer
5. Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra -- Ska Me Crazy
6. Praxis -- Praxis One (Hey, that's Buckethead)
7. Dave Matthews & Friends -- Trouble
8. The Black Keys -- Hard Row
9. X-Ecutioners -- Symphony for 6 Turntables
10. Steve Winwood -- Dear Mr. Fantasy
11. Gov't Mule -- Blind Man in the Dark
12. Damien Rice -- Volcano
13. Primus -- My Friend Fats
14. moe. -- Rebubula

Disc Two:

1. Robert Randolph & The Family Band -- Moving in the Right Direction
2. Gomez -- Nothing is Wrong
3. Ani DiFranco -- Evolve
4. Galactic -- Bongo Joe
5. North Mississippi Allstars Hill Country Revue -- Snake Drive
6. Guster -- FaFa
7. Kings of Leon -- Trani
8. Trey Anastasio -- Alive Again
9. Chris Robinson -- 40 Days
10. Femi Kuti -- Truth Don't Die
11. Antigone Rising -- Push It
12. Beth Orton -- Best Bit
13. Doc Watson & Jack Lawrence -- Lady Be Good
14. Ween -- Zoloft
15. Taj Mahal -- Linda Lu
16. The Dead -- Good Lovin'

When I first bought the DVD I had interest in about 8 of the bands but I can definately say that all of the perormances I've seen so far are great jams. They also intermix backstage interviews and campground footage. The main reason I bought it was that Dave Matthews has a performance and I'm a huge fan.

Anyone else pick this set up?
Old 08-22-05, 09:56 AM

Good to know you're enjoying it, and that price seems to be a nobrainer either way. I picked up 2002 used for $8, and have really enjoyed it. I did not like 2003, because it was more clips, and not entire performances. How is this done? I saw that the guy that directed 2003 is the producer for 2004, so I am kinda worried. I'm really looking forward to the 2005 dvd because of the artists involved. Thanks for posting. I was watching the 2002 last night and was going to check their site.
Old 08-22-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info on the 2003 disc. So you're saying that they don't show the entire performance but just a clip of their song? That sounds really strange. Why would they do that? Somethings just don't make sense. I can definately say that the 2004 disc shows the entire song for each artist not just clips. How's the sound on the 2002 disc? Is it 5.1? Is the disc widescreen of 4X3? Thanks for the info!!
Old 08-23-05, 07:37 AM

Yeah, it's just clips, talking over the music, etc. I hate to tell you the direction he took, but it's more of an overview of the experience rather than a concert film. Honestly, I Netflixed it when it came out, so it has been a while since I've seen it, but it was not like 2002. The 2002 dvd is widescreen, DTS, but I watched it the other night and actually prefer the Dolby in this case. Netflix listed 2003 w/ DTS, but it's not.
Old 08-23-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The 2003 DVD does have complete performances of songs. They're just shot to look more like a music video than a straight live shot. I really like the 2003 DVD.
Old 08-23-05, 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=Gdrlv]The 2003 DVD does have complete performances of songs. They're just shot to look more like a music video than a straight live shot. /QUOTE]

I stand corrected. It has been awhile since I saw it. Check out amazon.com for some reviews from people who remember it better.