Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

saw Green Day last night........

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

saw Green Day last night........

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
They've said numerous times over the years that they don't consider themselves a punk band.
That was in 1994 when there was a huge backlash against them in the punk world. Now it's safe for the "punks" to like Green Day, so they are back to saying that they are "punk". (IMO, by the way, I thought "Dookie" blew away their first two albums).

Saw them in San Diego last week. Great show, but a band with 6-7 albums out (all with great songs), shouldn't be having "filler" when playing the songs live. Holy crap! Almost every single song had a 5-10 minute long "Clap your hands now!" or "This side of the audience sing along with me!" part in the middle! If they cut that out of at least 5 of the songs, they could've had room to play another 10 songs! It's not like they're short on good songs!

They must be wrestling fans! They came out to Ric Flair's theme and Billie Joe did a spinaroonie during the middle of one of the songs.

An unintentional hilarious part of the show was when BJ said "Don't give up your civil rights guys! Don't do it! It's up to you!". You know, I was planning on giving up my civil rights the next day, but since BJ said for me not to, I decided against giving them up.

BJ had some more great lines (which this time were intentionally funny) when he was about to call up this kid to play guitar during "Knowledge" (which I don't think anyone knew!). He said "Have you ever been laid?". When the kid said "no", BJ said "You will tonight! Get your ass up here! You're going to play guitar for Green Day!". Later, BJ found out he had a broken leg and asked him how he broke it. The kid said "skateboarding". BJ said "No you didn't, you broke it rollerblading!". The kid completely protested. Then BJ said "The guitar is yours to keep. Now get your rollerblading ass off my stage!". Pretty funny.

Good show.
Old 10-10-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkdevo
they're definitely 3 of the biggest "rock stars" i've ever seen.. "Massachusetts!!!!!" - at least 100 times throughout the show.. talk about lapping it up..
Wow! I lost count how many times they said "San Diego" after about 25. I think it was probably 30 times.
Old 10-10-05, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great show, saw them in Maryland, they rocked!
Old 10-10-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
That was in 1994 when there was a huge backlash against them in the punk world. Now it's safe for the "punks" to like Green Day, so they are back to saying that they are "punk". (IMO, by the way, I thought "Dookie" blew away their first two albums).

Saw them in San Diego last week. Great show, but a band with 6-7 albums out (all with great songs), shouldn't be having "filler" when playing the songs live. Holy crap! Almost every single song had a 5-10 minute long "Clap your hands now!" or "This side of the audience sing along with me!" part in the middle! If they cut that out of at least 5 of the songs, they could've had room to play another 10 songs! It's not like they're short on good songs!

They must be wrestling fans! They came out to Ric Flair's theme and Billie Joe did a spinaroonie during the middle of one of the songs.

An unintentional hilarious part of the show was when BJ said "Don't give up your civil rights guys! Don't do it! It's up to you!". You know, I was planning on giving up my civil rights the next day, but since BJ said for me not to, I decided against giving them up.

BJ had some more great lines (which this time were intentionally funny) when he was about to call up this kid to play guitar during "Knowledge" (which I don't think anyone knew!). He said "Have you ever been laid?". When the kid said "no", BJ said "You will tonight! Get your ass up here! You're going to play guitar for Green Day!". Later, BJ found out he had a broken leg and asked him how he broke it. The kid said "skateboarding". BJ said "No you didn't, you broke it rollerblading!". The kid completely protested. Then BJ said "The guitar is yours to keep. Now get your rollerblading ass off my stage!". Pretty funny.

Good show.
Saw them last night (Oct 9th) and he did the same bit. "LOS ANGELES" x 50, "Have you ever been laid?", etc...Still a great show.

Tried to get tickets for the Wiltern show this morning and it sold out in 2 seconds.
Old 10-10-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
... also saw them last night. Never been a fan of GD, never heard a complete song from them, didn't care much of seeing them. Only reason I went because my brother was going by himself and asked me if I wanna to go [he was paying for it ].

Like mentioned above, alot of L.A. name dropping and clap along stuff, but honestly I enjoyed the show alot. No bullshit, I'll at least be getting their GH cd and will borrow their new album from my brother.