Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Save CBGB's!!!

Old 08-02-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Save CBGB's!!!

Supporters Mount Final Push to Save CBGB's

NEW YORK - Supporters of the famed rock club CBGB's are planning a last-ditch series of events to save the birthplace of punk.

There will be a show almost every night at the space during August, the last month of CBGB's lease, and a big event on the 31st at Washington Square Park, said singer/songwriter/"The Sopranos" star Little Steven Van Zandt, who has been involved in the preservation efforts for the last several weeks.

The club is in conflict with its landlord, the Bowery Residents Committee, over back rent and an increase to the monthly rental cost, which is about $19,000. The committee provides shelter for homeless people in the building that houses the club.

Van Zandt said a proposal was submitted to the landlord last week, offering to pay more rent and host events to raise money for the cause. He said no response to the proposal has been received.

A telephone call to the committee seeking comment was not immediately returned Monday.

CBGB's, with its familiar white awning, holds a special place in the city's music history. It was there that the Ramones, the Talking Heads and Blondie created the punk scene for small crowds that paid a $1 cover charge.

Man, it sure will be a sad day for music if this place closes down.

Last edited by automator; 08-02-05 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-02-05, 11:01 AM

I'm kind of indifferent...CB's doesn't really book good out of town bands anymore. It is basically only local bands with local festivals..I've been there about 3 times in the last couple of months for local bands I wanted to see, but as far as having great bands from out of NYC, it seems to rarely happen, which is why I suspect they are not making money. Maybe because the space is so small, I think they should of combined the gallery space and the main space into one bigger venue, they are trying to survive off the name alone, and obviously that isn't going to work for them anymore. Yeah rent is crazy, but they can't get out of the money they owe, I mean I think pretty much everyone is getting charged 500% too much rent to live or maintain a space in the city.

Last edited by TripWire; 08-02-05 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-02-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never gonna happen. $40k a month? Forget it.

My band played there in high school. That was really a lot of fun. We used to go there all the time just to shoot pool and have our eardrums damaged by random nobodies. This was long past the late 70's heyday.
Old 08-02-05, 12:59 PM

Anyone know who's supposed to play the 'big event' at Washington Square Park on the 31st? I move into my dorm a couple days before and would love to check it out, especially since it would only be a few blocks away.
Old 08-02-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I visited it about a year and a half ago (to see a "good out of town band"). Had a blast and basked in the history of the place. I think it's important that it stays. It's a piece of history.
Old 10-13-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Punk venue CBGB's closing after 33 years By LARRY McSHANE, Associated Press Writer
Mon Oct 9, 2:55 PM ET

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061009/...NlYwNtZW5ld3M-

NEW YORK - Legs McNeil remembers the night back in 1975 when he walked into the dingy storefront club perched in the even dingier Bowery neighborhood. The band onstage, four guys in leather jackets and torn jeans, was the Ramones. McNeil sat at a nearby table, watching their set with Lou Reed.

It was unforgettable. But as McNeil would soon discover, it was just a typical night at CBGB's, the club that spawned punk rock while launching the careers of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees Blondie, the Talking Heads and the Ramones.

"Every night was memorable, except I don't remember 'em," said a laughing McNeil, co-author of the punk rock history "Please Kill Me."

After Sunday, memories are all that will remain when the cramped club with its capacity of barely 300 people goes out of business after 33 years. Although its boom years are long gone, CBGB's remained a Manhattan music scene fixture: part museum, part barroom, home to more than a few rock and roll ghosts.

The club didn't exit without a fight. An assortment of high-profile backers, including E Street Band guitarist Little Steven Van Zandt, battled to keep the legendary club open. But in the end, it was a simple landlord-tenant dispute and owner Hilly Kristal saw the handwriting on the club's dank walls.

"I knew the closing was inevitable, because my lawyers said, `You can't win this case. The law is that your lease is up, and they don't even need a reason to put you out,'" said Kristal.

Kristal sits beneath a platinum record from Joan Jett, a CBGB's clock and a few of the endless band stickers that blanket the interior. Kristal, who is battling lung cancer, wears a black and white CBGB's T-shirt with a matching baseball cap.

He once managed the Village Vanguard, the renowned jazz club where he booked acts like Miles Davis. Things were a bit different at his new club: "In rock, the bands were creative but at first, they didn't play so well."

The first punk-scene band at Kristal's nightspot was Television, soon followed by Patti Smith. Punk poet Smith will play the closing night as well, a booking that Kristal described as effortless.

Smith isn't the only veteran playing one last gig. The '80s hardcore band Bad Brains and the '70s punks the Dictators are both scheduled for the final week. Blondie's Debbie Harry and Chris Stein are also stopping by.

When Kristal opened his doors in December 1973, CBGB's stood for country, bluegrass and blues three musical styles that wound up in short supply. Tommy Ramone, drummer for the Ramones, recalled how a new breed of bands gravitated to the space.

"At that time, there were no places to play in New York," Ramone said last year. "It was a very dead time in New York City, doldrums all around. But CBGB's allowed bands original bands, no less the freedom to go and play and do whatever they pleased."

Kristal plans to move the club far from its roots with a new CBGB's in Las Vegas. The owner plans to strip the current club down to the bare walls, bringing as much of it to Nevada as possible.

"We're going to take the urinals," he said. "I'll take whatever I can. The movers said, `You ought to take everything, and auction off what you don't want on eBay.' Why not? Somebody will."

Even a longtime CBGB's devotee like McNeil thinks the best advice for the 74-year-Kristal is go west, old man.

"I always said Hilly should go to Vegas," said McNeil. "Girls with augmented breasts playing Joey Ramone slot machines. It would become an institution."

Only time I ever saw a show there was Died Pretty in '86. Such a cool place and I like the idea of them taking it out to Vegas.
Old 10-13-06, 07:52 PM
Banned

I lived in NYC from late '85 to early '87, and went to CBGB's often. And I visited NYC twice a year, up until very recently, and went down there for (at least) a few drinks every trip.

I'll miss it alot.

But I will check it out in Vegas.
Old 10-13-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I was gonna say...I thought this was a done deal.
Old 10-13-06, 09:20 PM

CBGB's Last Show LIVE on SIRIUS
Sun 10/15 9:00 pm ET

CBGB has been a bastion of great music in New York City for 33 years: the club has hosted Patti Smith, Television, Blondie and The Ramones, to name just a few. Sunday night, the legendary venue will host one last performance by fittingly enough Patti Smith, before closing its doors for the last time.

Tickets for the show sold out in eight minutes, but SIRIUS is broadcasting the show, LIVE. Don't miss this historic performance. It's a night of great music and goodbyes, only on SIRIUS.

SIRIUS.com
Old 10-14-06, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I went there about ten years when I was in NYC to check it out -- it's such a legendary, sacred place in the annals of punk/hardcore/metal that I felt like I had to make a pilgrimage there when I finally visited NYC.

I was shocked at 1) how tiny it actually was, and 2) what a scuzzy little rat-hole it was. Not sure what I was expecting... but it was just basically a store-front that housed a long, skinny bar; kind of like something from a strip-mall. (What is it, about twenty feet wide?)

$40,000 a month for it is just flat-out nuts. That's a half-million dollars a year. Jesus.

Also seems weird that Hilly is 74 years old.
Old 10-14-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I went there about ten years when I was in NYC to check it out -- it's such a legendary, sacred place in the annals of punk/hardcore/metal that I felt like I had to make a pilgrimage there when I finally visited NYC.
I did the exact same thing. Wanted to go this year, but my job was too unstable.

I never thought it was THAT scummy. No scummier than Al's Bar or various clubs I've been to in San Diego and Los Angeles. But man, if those walls could talk!