Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Oasis vs. Manowar: Funny Liam Gallagher quote

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Oasis vs. Manowar: Funny Liam Gallagher quote

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-05, 01:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Of course there's the famous time that either Liam or Noel said of the members of Blur "I hope they catch AIDS and die."

Nope sorry, get your fact straight..Noel said "The guitarist is a nice guy, I like him. I don't know the drummer. But the bass player and the singer are both prics. I hope they both catch AIDS and die". The quote was for 2 members of Blur, not all of them.
Old 08-07-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
The loudest band I ever heard was Motorhead.

And I'm sure Manowar is damn loud as well - but I've never seen them. But I'm sure that they can kick the shit out of the guys from Oasis without even working up a sweat, for whatever that's worth.

And here I thought Kevin Dubrow was the mouth that roared!
Old 08-09-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For whatever your thoughts are on Manowar, they do have a great rendition of the American Trilogy.

But, they are officially the loudest band ever. After they made that ranking in Guiness, Guiness declared that no other band could try and break the record since it was bodily harmful to the listeners, or something like that.

Manowar is also the only band to kill the power in Athens, Greece, not once, but twice during the same show some time ago. While playing they blew the electricity for all of Athens. Emergency generators kicked in, Manowar started playing again, and then they blew out the city's generators. The show was over after that.

I think on one of the Manowar dvds there's a clip for when the power blows the first time. I'll also leave my thoughts on Oasis out of this.
Old 08-10-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Pretty sad when you are known more for being loud than for your music.
Old 08-10-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd say they're equally well known for being damn sexy!

Old 08-10-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalvin
This reminds me so much of Spinal Tap
Ha. That's what I thought, too. When I think of Oasis, "loud" is not the adjective that comes to mind.

Manowar was the butt of many jokes back in my college radio days (for their image, not their music - I've never even heard any of their songs). This CD was prominently displayed in the studio:

I was under the impression that the Who were the loudest band. Shows you how much I keep up on these types of world records.

Someone please tell me that there's a site out there that compiles all of Liam's idiotic quotes. They're pure comedy gold.
Old 08-10-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJLinus

Someone please tell me that there's a site out there that compiles all of Liam's idiotic quotes. They're pure comedy gold.
Not sure, but you can't leave this one off:

"If I saw an alien, I'd tell it to fuck right off because whatever planet he came from they wouldn't have the Beatles or any decent fucking music. So they can fuck right off, I ain't going anywhere with them."
Old 08-10-05, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Here is one that I found:
band quotes:
http://www.oasisfanatic.com/band/oas...7990b1cd50810b

Liam quotes:
http://www.oasisfanatic.com/band/oas...es/liam/0.html

Noel quotes:
http://www.oasisfanatic.com/band/oas...es/noel/0.html

Other quotes:
http://www.oasisfanatic.com/band/oas.../others/0.html

Last edited by fryinpan1; 08-10-05 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-01-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Belated thanks for the links. Hilarious.

Noel Gallagher, Father of the Year:

"They're fucking idiots...they're small, noisy, smelly, small, devil brats! They take too much time and they cry all the time...Many people become so boring when they get kids, they seem to want to take over the house you live in...You have to be quiet when the babies are asleep... Fuck that! It's my house and I am the boss in my house."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...howbizquirkies

Old 02-02-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure of the exact quote, but there is one out there of one of the Gallaghers calling Coldplay "fucking students" or something like that.
Old 02-02-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by printerati
"After I heard System of a Down, I thought, I’m actually alive to hear the shittiest band ever. Of all the bands that have gone before and all the bands that’ll be in the future, I was around when the worst was around."
That's because he's in it.
Old 02-02-06, 11:07 AM

funny stuff
Old 02-02-06, 11:50 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
This thread makes me want to listen to some Oasis.

FWIW, I've seen Oasis in concert, and I've seen The Who twice. The Who were louder.
Old 02-02-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I remember, back when everyone was playing "Wonderwall" and before they crawled up their own asses, I used to call Oasis the "Shitty Beatles."

Pissed off the girls, but the guys all thought it was funny.

But I think the real question isn't who is louder (Manowar by a long shot) but who is gayer?

Old 02-02-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have seen about 100 shows. Oasis was definitely one of the loudest, but I saw them in a theater, so that helps. They were definitely louder than The Who, but that was at an ampatheater, so it's really not a fair comparison.

My favorite Oasis moment: at the end of the set, when Liam was done singing, but the music was still going on, he took a step back from the mike and outstretched his arms like Jesus on the cross and stood there for a good 30 seconds until a guitar tech brought out a fur coatand put it on him, then he turned away from the guitar tech and stormed off stage while the band continued jamming for another minute or so.

I saw Oasis twice and thought they put on a pretty good show and that their antics were funny. That said, I agree that they haven't put out a good album in a long time.
Old 02-02-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be fair, I thought the latest Oasis album, Don't Believe The Truth, was the best since Morning Glory.

Though I'm a fan, I do wish Noel and Liam would just shut up and just make the music. But then I guess it wouldn't be the same if they did that. Plus it doesn't bother me because I honestly don't know a thing about Manowar, and based on the pictures above I'm not sure I want to.
Old 02-03-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'm not sure of the exact quote, but there is one out there of one of the Gallaghers calling Coldplay "fucking students" or something like that.
I'm pretty sure it was about Radiohead, after seeing them play at Glastonbury.
Old 03-29-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught Oasis last nite in Houston and it's always fun to see just how much contempt they will have for their audience.

Liam just kind up strutted around all night and occasionally muttered mostly untelligible things into the mic. The one thing I could definitely hear was him saying "they told me backstage there are no fit birds here, where are the thin girls?" In fact both he and Noel made a few references to "fatties" and "the fat guy with glasses" throughout the show.

One fan was holding up a sign that said "No. 1 Fan" and Noel asked him "So you're the #1 fan, huh?". After the guy said yes, Noel pointed at another guy and said "This guy's from fooking Sweden, fooking Stockholm, so he's got you beat" At another point he asked a guy holding up a Mexican flag if he was from Mexico City. When the guy said yes, Noel said "We're playing Mexico City on Friday night, what the fook are you doing all the way up here." He also told someone "why don't you shut up for starters."

I wish I could have understood everything they said because it's pretty funny. Although I didn't hear it, I'm sure there were some references to "shithole", "pisser", and "wanker" at some point.
Old 03-29-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw Oasis Sunday in Nashville. They sounded great but have the stage presence of a wet blanket.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 03-29-06 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-28-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More zaniness:

http://www.nme.com/news/tabloid-hell/34640

Oasis man getting away from the 'Beautiful' singer

Feb 25, 2008

Apparently Oasis’ Noel Gallagher is selling his Ibiza holiday home – because he can’t stand to live near James Blunt, who owns a nearby pad, anymore.

According to The Sun’s Bizarre column, Gallagher has put the £5.5million villa on the market, saying that he can’t stand living there in the knowledge that Blunt is nearby making terrible music.

The newspaper quotes an anonymous source as saying: “Noel has been going to Ibiza every summer for years. But he’s fed up of hearing James Blunt bang on about Ibiza like he owns the place.

“It’s taken the charm out of it for him so he’s put his villa up for sale. It’s close to Blunt’s place, and he [Gallagher] says he can’t stand the thought of Blunt writing crap tunes up the road.”

Last edited by cdollaz; 02-28-08 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-28-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They are pompous asses, but they have the best quotes.
Old 02-28-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Mad props to Noel. I love how they make controversy and come out the better.
Old 02-28-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Other bands play; Manowar kills.

Kings of Metal!!!!!!
Old 02-28-08, 12:55 PM

That's hilarious. Noel is an a-hole, but he does have a point. I don't think I'd want my summer home any where near James Blunt either (if I could afford a summer home that is).
Old 02-28-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Obviously you guys have never heard of Bread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.