Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Wendy Carlos

Old 07-19-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Wendy Carlos

Any Wendy Carlos fans here?

I've been a fan for years and just bought Carlos' new CDs Rediscovering Lost Scores (Vol. 1 and Vol. 2) and have been blow away by this "lost" music. Almost all of it is music Carlos wrote for different movie scores, but wasn't used for various reasons. Listening to this makes me wonder how different the movies A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Tron would've been with this music instead of what was actually used. (The End Titles Music for Tron - called "Trinitron" on the CD - would've been a lot better than that Journey song!) And I'm happy to finally have a Carlos version of The Shining theme on CD (it's only a little different from what's in the movie, which is in some sort of legal limbo). Has anyone else gotten these CDs?
Old 07-19-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
I need a confirmation.

Does Wendy happen to be Walter Carlos too?
Old 07-19-05, 11:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, same person. Amazon states that these come out in August. I'll have to pick these up. Without looking at my copy of Tron, I think some of those tracks are on the remastered Tron soundtrack.

Last edited by too much; 07-19-05 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-19-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I need a confirmation.

Does Wendy happen to be Walter Carlos too?
Yes, Walter became Wendy sometime back in the early-'70s. I think the sex change was soon after the making of A Clockwork Orange because I remember once reading an old interview with Carlos in which she mentioned meeting with Stanley Kubrick soon after the sex change process, and that Kubrick was so focused on the subject of the meeting, that he didn't even seen to notice the change!

(Some of Carlos' older albums can still be found "Used" with the name "Walter Carlos" on them - but every time an older album is reissued, the label is updated to say "Wendy Carlos")

Last edited by dhmac; 07-19-05 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-19-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by too much
Yes, same person. Amazon states that these come out in August. I'll have to pick these up. Without looking at my copy of Tron, I think some of those tracks are on the remastered Tron soundtrack.
They're not the same tracks, but are different versions of the music - variations that weren't used in the movie.
Old 07-19-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Her music from Clockwork Orange LP/CD, of which I've had a copy since around 1970, is one of my top ten desert island CDs. I will surely pick up these Rediscovering CDs soon - thanks dhmac!

Oh, she has a web site: http://www.wendycarlos.com/

-Gunshy
Old 08-21-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by too much
Originally Posted by dhmac
They're not the same tracks, but are different versions of the music - variations that weren't used in the movie.

I ended up taking my TRON soundtrack, dumping the two lame Journey songs and adding the additional tracks from Rediscovering Lost Scores Vol.2 to make the closest thing to a perfect TRON score album (I call it "Wendy Carlos' TRON score"). Listening to my new mix, I've been very impressed with the quality of the music in this score. A seamless mix of synthesizer and orchestra that seems more classically-influenced instead of New Age-y in character. It's truly underappreciated.

(BTW, one of the tracks on Rediscovering Lost Scores Vol.2 is "Lightcycle Games" which is a long missing track not on either the original TRON 1982 LP or the remastered 2002 CD. Fans finally get a proper release of this track of music!)