Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Smashing Pumpkins to reform

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TripWire
I think they were pretty elite live, saw a couple shows...though as the show goes on corgan begins to lose his voice, so by the end of the set, it's pretty much fried, but that happens with a lot of bands.
Oh, you must misunderstand. I love the pumpkins, and live think they're great. I was confused how somebody can not like them vocally live, but in the studio, sound the same to me.

I've been lucky enough to see them lots of times, including their final two shows when I lived in Chicago still. Can't wait to catch them on the reunion. Hopefully at least.
Old 06-28-05, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't be surprised if James Iha signs on. Lately I think he's just been floating around the NYC scene. I went to a Burning Brides show last year at the Bowery Ballroom and he showed up to play backup for a couple songs.
Old 06-29-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
LOL. She was a touring bassist. The only real SP bassist is D'arcy. And if Auf de Mar's album is a "good thing", then by all means, keep her.
Hmm . . . I may have something mixed up. While I'm not going to debate my enjoying her album, "good thing" was referring to the Smashing Pumpkins catalog. There isn't any reason to try it again and tarnishing their image.
Old 06-29-05, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mndtrp
Hmm . . . I may have something mixed up. While I'm not going to debate my enjoying her album, "good thing" was referring to the Smashing Pumpkins catalog. There isn't any reason to try it again and tarnishing their image.
Trust me my friend, you most certainly have something mixed up I might be the biggest pumpkins fan ever. I know Dave Asselin! I have an original copy of Machina II. I'm supercool
Old 06-29-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Trust me my friend, you most certainly have something mixed up I might be the biggest pumpkins fan ever. I know Dave Asselin! I have an original copy of Machina II. I'm supercool
Yeah, you're right. I figured out what the deal was, and D'Arcy is the only bassist that Pumpkins should have. I guess since Auf Der Maur was their last bassist, I incorrectly thought she had played with them the whole time. I think the problem is they both have kind of odd names, and that's all I could remember.
Old 06-29-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Oh, you must misunderstand. I love the pumpkins, and live think they're great. I was confused how somebody can not like them vocally live, but in the studio, sound the same to me.

I've been lucky enough to see them lots of times, including their final two shows when I lived in Chicago still. Can't wait to catch them on the reunion. Hopefully at least.
Nothing confusing. Vocally, Corgan is all over the place live the times I saw. I, as well, have seen them live more than few times waiting for that great live show. Never happened. Sure he has a whiney voice...but at least it was consisten on tape and much better (or corrected). Live, ack! nothing there ... Side note ... have you ever heard D'Arcy sing? Makes Ono sound like a siren. Maybe she was wasted the times I heard her ...who knows.
Old 07-01-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THEPASTEMBRACE
Old 07-02-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darqleo
THEPASTEMBRACE
Aren't you clever
Old 07-07-05, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Techno garbage? What the hell does that have to do with SP reforming?

I hardly think "new & progressive" means "Hay guys, lets make 'em move on the dance floor!"

Rock garbage...thats what you should worry about. I can hardly tell these newer rock groups apart anymore.

Billy should just release a bunch of old unreleased Pumpkins material and put off this silly notion of "reforming" off for another 5-10 years.
I'll try to simplify it just for you. The "music" Billy et al. cranked out from Adore on.
Old 07-07-05, 04:21 PM
Banned

Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins,
nature Kids, I/they don't have no function
I don't understand what they mean
and I couldn't really give a fuck.
Old 07-07-05, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I couldn't really give a fuck about Pavement either. Blech.
Old 07-07-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by devynal
I'll try to simplify it just for you. The "music" Billy et al. cranked out from Adore on.
I don't consider Machina to qualify as "techno" or really "music" for that matter.

I can tolerate some of Adore but Machina is just excessive whining from Uncle Fester himself. The only time i tolerated or even liked "The everlasting gaze" was when i heard it on the final show CD i have. No shitty overproduction and 1/5 the whine.
Old 07-07-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i would rather see the original band reform now while they still have some youth in them. As opposed to some old farts cranking out the greatest hits
Old 07-08-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't consider Machina to qualify as "techno" or really "music" for that matter.
C'mon. You really do not consider this album to be "music"? I think you're reaching here.
Old 07-08-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not reaching.

"Machina" is a bloated mass of overproduced garbage.

It's just my opnion, but i cannot stand a single song that was on that album.

I enjoyed The Pumpkins when thier music was more "raw" and less "glam" (if you will). I'd rather they stay broken up than having to listen to more Machina-ish efforts.

Say no to a Machina 3.
Old 07-08-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not reaching.

I enjoyed The Pumpkins when thier music was more "raw" and less "glam" (if you will). I'd rather they stay broken up than having to listen to more Machina-ish efforts.

Say no to a Machina 3.
That very well may be your opinion. But to claim that it is not "music" is obviously an exageration.
Old 07-08-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not reaching.

Say no to a Machina 3.
One of the things that led to the downfall of Smashing Pumpkins in popular music circles (and Pearl Jam to some extent in those same circles) was that everyone kept wanting SD / MCIS Pts. 2-10 on every album. SP took a chance and tried a new direction. I enjoyed it, not as much as previous releases (and WAY more than whatever Radiohead became), but Billy did not want to keep blaring his guitars.

Here's something interesting. There *are* rock versions of the Adore and Machina songs, and they are fucking awesome. Try and dl some live songs, especially Ava Adore and Heavy Metal Machine. Killer tracks (and Dross and Eye too). I had the opportunity to meet Billy backstage after an Adore show, where the band played almost the entire album rock style. I said to him that I felt that if he released a "rock" version of the album, like he played them that night, the album would be in the stratosphere. He agreed with me, but said that wasn't what he wanted to do. Then he thanked me for trading with him once (I used to be a rather large SP trader) under his alias!! He was trying to get some older shows he didn't tape himself. Very crazy to learn that.
Old 07-08-05, 10:08 PM

I agree DVD Josh, I enjoyed Machina and Adore quite a bit, then again I enjoy the new PJ releases alot too, and many people like you said, feel they are dead, simply because they don't like the music anymore, or because it has changed.
Old 07-09-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't heard Machina, and very little of Adore, but am blown away by 'Eye' on the Lost Highway Soundtrack. Are those albums similar to that song? I enjoyed the few songs I heard off of Adore, even if they were a pretty big departure from the previous.

Pretty cool story, Josh.
Old 07-09-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't heard Machina, and very little of Adore, but am blown away by 'Eye' on the Lost Highway Soundtrack. Are those albums similar to that song? I enjoyed the few songs I heard off of Adore, even if they were a pretty big departure from the previous.

Pretty cool story, Josh.
I would say Machina is closer to Eye than Adore.

Here's a treat for you for liking my story. Post back and tell me what you think:

http://act4.skegg.net/robpaterson-eye.wmv
Old 07-09-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Edit: Nevermind, Firefox doesn't like your link. IE is all over it.
Old 07-09-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Adore", IMO, is the best album the Pumpkins had ever released. I have listened to that thing hundreds of time, and to this day it remains one of my favourites of the 90's.

And despite how much the album is maligned, I also liked "MACHINA" quite a bit. I mean, how can anyone not like "I of the Mourning" or "Raindrops + Sunshowers"?
Old 07-09-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Edit: Nevermind, Firefox doesn't like your link. IE is all over it.
That is strange, since I linked it from Firefox
Old 07-09-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
"Adore", IMO, is the best album the Pumpkins had ever released. I have listened to that thing hundreds of time, and to this day it remains one of my favourites of the 90's.

And despite how much the album is maligned, I also liked "MACHINA" quite a bit. I mean, how can anyone not like "I of the Mourning" or "Raindrops + Sunshowers"?
I will never fault a fellow pumpkins fan for his opinion. I will say that the rock versions of these songs are incredible from these albums.

To me, it's all about SD. It's a perfect album, start to finish.
Old 07-09-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I may not have waited long enough for it to load in Firefox. A bit of a buzz, high speed internet, and all patience goes out the window.

Cool video. And now, many questions.

1) The guy in the video is too skinny to be Billy. Unless, of course, he lost a lot of weight. Who is it? If it's the person in my second question, skip this one.

2) Who is Rob Paterson? Google-ing (how do you 'ing' Google?) pulls up blogs. I'm guessing this is not a blog.

3) Is this an interlude in his concert? That'd be pretty smooth to have a band going, and then this song for a chill moment. Still a cool song.

4) Thanks! (not a question, but I needed a fourth)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.