Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Madonna or Michael Jackson?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Who is more influential in music history?
Madonna
50.00%
Michael Jackson
50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-05, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who was the more important force in music history? Just curious. Always have this debate with a best friend and want to know how others feel and why.
Old 06-06-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I didn't vote because I honestly think it is a toss-up. Both have had a ton of hits but has either really influenced the talent of today as like...say, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, etc. influenced their following generation? Did either start a new kind of music or take the current music to a new/different level? No.

Sure people say that Madonna brought sex to music but that was started quite a bit before she came along due to disco music. She just made it cool for 12 year old girls to wear lace and try to wear their bras as outerwear...but that is more an influence on fashion/pop culture than music. I would say the Jackson 5 had the most musical influence since they set the tone for all boy-groups to follow but that is not really Michael Jackson doing that.

Michael Jackson has had his share of influence on pop-culture and fashion as well, but true musical influence?

Define "important force."

Tough question.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 06-06-05 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I voted Madonna simply because she is the queen of reinventing herself and staying (somewhat) relevant. Michael Jackson, by all accounts, has not done anything of any significant commercial or critical magnitude since Dangerous. Compare that to, say, Madonna's output in the past ten years. I personally think her best single ever is the William Orbit-produced "Beautiful Stranger" and that has come recently.

If you want to talk about influences outside of music, then Jackson wins, as he's perhaps the best example for A Fall From Grace since Hughes.
Old 06-06-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prince
Old 06-06-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

However, I also agree with brianluvdvd.
Old 06-06-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by foofighters7
Prince

the correct answer lies above ^^^
Old 06-07-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Michael Jackson is a force to reckon with, but I vote Madonna. I love her transformations, I love her growth, she's constantly pushing the envelop, pushing her self. Even when she makes a so-so album, it's not boring.

If you throw Prince in the mix that would be a hard one.
Old 06-07-05, 11:51 AM

It's close... but I'd have to lean towards MJ. Just look at all the young stars and up-and-comers today to see his "influence" all over them. Usher, Justin Timberlake, etc. You can probably look at just about any male R&B/pop singer and feel MJ's influence.

Madonna is up there too, no doubt. Tough call.