Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Greatest American Band of All Time?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Greatest American Band of All Time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While these aren't anywhere near my favorites, Sugar Hill Gang and N.W.A. were both hugely influential on the rap & r&b scene.
I have yet to see Phish ,entioned yet either. Are they even american?
Old 05-29-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King's X
Old 05-29-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kiss

Van Halen

Boston

Motley Crue

Journey

Heart

Bon Jovi

ZZTop

Metallica

Megadeth
Old 05-29-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Grand Funk Railroad
Old 05-29-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

KISS hands down
Old 05-30-05, 07:23 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Funny, when I think of Fleetwood Mac, I think of Mick Fleetwood and John McVee.
Well then I guess you aren't most people, then, are you?

Originally Posted by Pikul
So apparently we're actually looking for the Greatest White (or Mostly White) American Rock Band of All Time.
No, just the greatest American band of all time...if all the submissions happen to be white, then I guess they're the only ones to have left a meaningful impression. Who would you suggest? The only "ethnic" rock band that comes close to a top band of all time in my book would be Living Colour, but they imploded way too soon...
Old 05-30-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
The only "ethnic" rock band that comes close to a top band of all time in my book would be Living Colour, but they imploded way too soon...
You could say PFunk (I think it was mentioned) ,Sly and the Family Stone (were they American?) ,Run DMC, Temptations, 4 Tops, EW&F, Supremes etc and etc..Not saying they are or were but there are a few more than Living Colour
Old 05-30-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
I believe he asked for GREAT US bands.
Are you joking? They are from NY. Well all members other than LaBrie(Canadian). And probably the greatest post 1990, despeite their debut being released in 89.

So apparently we're actually looking for the Greatest White (or Mostly White) American Rock Band of All Time.
Semantics. A band plays instruments. Bands usually play rock. Simple. Rap artists are well...just that, artists or groups. The thread asked for bands so yes, technically responses are going to lean 99% white. No to mention the original posters analagous samples are Zeppelin, the Who, the Beatles, the Doors, etc. Rock bands.
Old 05-30-05, 08:33 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flashback
You could say PFunk (I think it was mentioned) ,Sly and the Family Stone (were they American?) ,Run DMC, Temptations, 4 Tops, EW&F, Supremes etc and etc..Not saying they are or were but there are a few more than Living Colour
Some of your choices are very specious or, at least, I would say your definition of "rock" is looser than mine...many of your choices are clearly rap or R&B...perfectly acceptable muscial genres, and they may have their roots in the same place rock does, but they're not rock.
Old 05-30-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Some of your choices are very specious or, at least, I would say your definition of "rock" is looser than mine...many of your choices are clearly rap or R&B...perfectly acceptable muscial genres, and they may have their roots in the same place rock does, but they're not rock.
Oh sure, that is definitely debatable . For instance, Run DMC is a rap band that sampled many hard rock riffs into their music. As for some of the others I mentioned you will surely see them in the RnR Hall of Fame. But rock in the 50's is much different then the 70's or today.
Old 05-30-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flashback
Oh sure, that is definitely debatable . For instance, Run DMC is a rap band that sampled many hard rock riffs into their music. As for some of the others I mentioned you will surely see them in the RnR Hall of Fame. But rock in the 50's is much different then the 70's or today.
Run-DMC is a great, legendary group. But to me, not a band. I tend to define groups & bands differently. It's most basic definition is that a band plays instruments.
Old 05-30-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Please see my post again of Morris Day and the Time.........

plus I'll throw Kool and the Gang and the Revolution out there too.
Old 05-30-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Metallica 1st
Van Halen close 2nd
Old 05-30-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Amel
Run-DMC is a great, legendary group. But to me, not a band. I tend to define groups & bands differently. It's most basic definition is that a band plays instruments.
Not sure what the OP meant nor if I totally disagree with you either. I actually was never looking at it in that way and was treating band/group as the same.
However, some may argue a voice is an instrument or a turntable used to scratch records is one as well.
Old 05-30-05, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Are you joking? They are from NY. Well all members other than LaBrie(Canadian). And probably the greatest post 1990, despeite their debut being released in 89.

I think the keyword isn't US, but Great.
Old 05-30-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
I'm sure I must have missed it somewhere in this thread. I couldn't really be the first to mention the Talking Heads, could I?
Old 05-30-05, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm sure I must have missed it somewhere in this thread. I couldn't really be the first to mention the Talking Heads, could I?
There's no reason to scratch your head. People here think KISS and Dream Theater are the best America has had to offer.
Old 05-30-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Nope, that would be just you. Thanks for the ridiculous post though.
Old 05-30-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's no reason to scratch your head. People here think KISS and Dream Theater are the best America has had to offer.
Don't forget Metallica, Boston, Journey, and Motley Crue.

Seriously, who with taste likes Journey?

Just looking at what I have on iTunes, here are some bands I believe should be considered...

- Aerosmith
- The Beach Boys
- Blondie
- The Doors
- Green Day*
- Morris Day and the Time
- The Ramones
- R.E.M.
- Sly and the Family Stone

* This one is kind of sketchy as Green Day has only been around the past 15 years; but they've been at the top of their game (IMO) for those past 15 years. Also, they have a lot more talent than Journey and Boston**.

** Seriously, if Journey and Boston are two of the best bands America has to offer, please get me the fuck out of this country.
Old 05-30-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Reread some of the posts. DT was only mentioned as a great post 1990 American band, not the greatest ever.
Old 05-30-05, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Reread some of the posts. DT was only mentioned as a great post 1990 American band, not the greatest ever.

Any sentence with Dream Theater and the word "great" is
Old 05-30-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
* This one is kind of sketchy as Green Day has only been around the past 15 years; but they've been at the top of their game (IMO) for those past 15 years. Also, they have a lot more talent than Journey and Boston**.
Not to say Journey or Boston is the greatest but to say Green Day has more talent than (singing - Perry) (guitar - Schon, Sholz) (drumming - Smith) you have to be crazy.
Old 05-30-05, 11:25 PM
Banned

** Seriously, if Journey and Boston are two of the best bands America has to offer, please get me the fuck out of this country.

Don't forget KISS, Van Halen, Megadeth, ZZTop, Motley Crue and Bon Jovi.
Old 05-30-05, 11:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
Beach Boys
Velvet Underground
Grateful Dead
Nirvana

Good list.
Old 05-31-05, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to music.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.